Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot help - Wah on, Wah off

joetink

Hey everyone,

So, I've got a patch with 4 snapshots.  3 have got the Wah off as default and set as Exp 2 (with Exp 1 as a volume pedal), so that engaging the toe button on the pedal turns the wah on.  One of the snapshots should be set up with the wah already engaged.  However, when I set that one up and turn the wah on, Exp 1 is still selected.  Changing this to Exp 2 means that when I go back to a different screenshot, now the default is Exp 2 and the other patches aren't functioning right.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Joe

This issue or issues related to this have come up in several threads here. You aren't really missing anything simple, it's just the snapshots throw a potential wrench in the works when you're dealing the toe switch controlling the bypass states of effects and switching between EXP1 and EXP2. The issue goes away if you use an external pedal for EXP2, but if you don't want to do that, right now, you have to make a few compromises. One thing you can do, and it's kind of inelegant, is to short out the jack for EXP2 by putting a shorted 1/4" plug into the EXP2 jack (in the other thread, a user created his own by inserting a screw in one of those RCA to 1/4" adapters). If you do that, the onboard pedal will always be EXP1, and you can assign EXP1 to control both the wah and volume, and since they will never be active at the same time, it will still work.

The other option, is really just changing the way you use it and just making it so you have your snapshots saved with wah block in the same state in each one and making sure you don't switch snapshots without toggling the pedal back.

In your case, one thing you could do for this particular snapshot where you want to have wah active when you go into the snapshot is to simply drop in another instance of your wah block and have it so that the first wah block (let's call it "Wah A") is still bypassed in this snapshot but the second instance ("Wah B") is on. Wah A will be controlled by EXP2 and activated by the toe switch. Wah B will be controlled by EXP1 and won't be assigned to any footswitch. Its bypass state will only be controlled by the snapshot. So when you enter this snapshot, Wah B will turn on (you'd also want to set the bypass state of the volume pedal to off in this snapshot), and then you can just control it. The main trick with this is that you'll want to make sure you don't use the toe switch while in this preset or you'll turn the volume block and the other wah block on and toggle to EXP2, and things will be misaligned...

So, yeah, it's not a perfect system by any means. I think Line 6 has a solution not too far off. But in the meantime, these are the options I see.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a related problem. I have a preset with 4 snapshots. In each snapshot I have the same preferences:  by default the pedal is switched to exp 2 and controls the volume, when I push down hard, and activate the 'hidden' switch it becomes exp 1 and thus a wah pedal. So far so good. The trouble starts when I leave the pedal on exp 1 ('forget to turn off the wah' so to speak) in one snapshot and then switch to another snapshot. The pedal doesn't do anything anymore, if you hit the toe swich you get a wah stuck in position 100%, and after that the Helix goes berzerk.  No way of getting back to a normally functioning pedal again, other than to briefly switch to another preset. 

I have a related problem. I have a preset with 4 snapshots. In each snapshot I have the same preferences:  by default the pedal is switched to exp 2 and controls the volume, when I push down hard, and activate the 'hidden' switch it becomes exp 1 and thus a wah pedal. So far so good. The trouble starts when I leave the pedal on exp 1 ('forget to turn off the wah' so to speak) in one snapshot and then switch to another snapshot. The pedal doesn't do anything anymore, if you hit the toe swich you get a wah stuck in position 100%, and after that the Helix goes berzerk.  No way of getting back to a normally functioning pedal again, other than to briefly switch to another preset. 

Yeah. that's just the way it is right now... Read my post above for the current workarounds. Beyond that, there's nothing more I can say.

It's kind of like that old joke...

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

Doctor: "Well, stop doing that..." :)

Yeah. that's just the way it is right now... Read my post above for the current workarounds. Beyond that, there's nothing more I can say.

It's kind of like that old joke...

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

Doctor: "Well, stop doing that..." :)

Your post is very adequate, I want to thank you for it as well. It would seem that the architecture of the Helix is such that there's always a way to get out of trouble :) 

I had this behaviour with snapshots set to recall, but when set to discard it ceased to be a problem and each snapshot change reverts to it's initial saved state. I use 'recall' for editing and 'discard' for performing.
  • Upvote 1