Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New firmware and editor v2.01 available now

silverhead

So if I do this it will keep all my snapshots and all the input impedances I've just laboriously fixed after 2.0 upgrade and all my IRs won't be lost/need reinstalling??

You should export your bundle and/or setlists prior to installing the new editor. Doing the required reset after the update will clear all your presets, global settings and IRs. So after you do the update and install the new editor, you can import your bundle with all your setlists/presets (snapshots are saved within presets). You'll also have to re-import any IR files your using.

So if I do this it will keep all my snapshots and all the input impedances I've just laboriously fixed after 2.0 upgrade and all my IRs won't be lost/need reinstalling?

Back up.  Back Setlists Up.  Back up your favorite presets. THEN begin.

The good news is now the input impedances you save will actually load when you call up the preset!

Texasdave

I find all this re installing everything a significant downside to the whole process.  As a gigging musician, it's eating a lot of time.  And after the impedance issues of the 2.0 update, I'm very cautious - I had to rebuild most of my sounds as the overall tonal spectrum changed.  I also really think there should be a way to save IR's in order - so it's not a laborious manual process putting 20 or 30 IRs back in the correct order. 

So -

1. I'd like to be able to save IRs as a set or Bundle or something - so you just reload and away you go.

2. I'd like Line 6 to tell me accurately what to expect as gotchas when updating - then you know if you need to delay or totally skip a certain update.

3. I'd like less but better tested updates - or some list that lets me know that this update is say "beta".

A lot of software has tested and certified versions for people who need reliability and beta versions for those who like to live a bit more on the edge.

Finally, the update process is dangerous.  It's all too easy to brick your Helix.  Surely Line 6 can improve the installation - if a new version of the editor is necessary, the installer should do that by default before installing the firmware update.  I think that's a must. 

• Upvote 1

I find all this re installing everything a significant downside to the whole process.  As a gigging musician, it's eating a lot of time.  And after the impedance issues of the 2.0 update, I'm very cautious - I had to rebuild most of my sounds as the overall tonal spectrum changed.  I also really think there should be a way to save IR's in order - so it's not a laborious manual process putting 20 or 30 IRs back in the correct order. 

So -

1. I'd like to be able to save IRs as a set or Bundle or something - so you just reload and away you go.

2. I'd like Line 6 to tell me accurately what to expect as gotchas when updating - then you know if you need to delay or totally skip a certain update.

3. I'd like less but better tested updates - or some list that lets me know that this update is say "beta".

A lot of software has tested and certified versions for people who need reliability and beta versions for those who like to live a bit more on the edge.

Finally, the update process is dangerous.  It's all too easy to brick your Helix.  Surely Line 6 can improve the installation - if a new version of the editor is necessary, the installer should do that by default before installing the firmware update.  I think that's a must. 

No one is saying you have to do the update.  If everything is working fine for you, don't do it until you find a definite need for it.  That's what you do if you're dealing with a production piece of equipment that you depend on.  You should know that as a gigging musician.  I gig every week and I'm still happily using 1.12 until all the dust settles and I'm sure I want to use some of the new features.

• Upvote 1

I find all this re installing everything a significant downside to the whole process. As a gigging musician, it's eating a lot of time. And after the impedance issues of the 2.0 update, I'm very cautious - I had to rebuild most of my sounds as the overall tonal spectrum changed. I also really think there should be a way to save IR's in order - so it's not a laborious manual process putting 20 or 30 IRs back in the correct order.

So -

Finally, the update process is dangerous. It's all too easy to brick your Helix. Surely Line 6 can improve the installation - if a new version of the editor is necessary, the installer should do that by default before installing the firmware update. I think that's a must.

I don't think the process is dangerous or even all that time-consuming. It took me less than 10 minutes to do everything from backing up my existing setlists, installing the new editor and actually performing the update. Afterwards it took me like 30 seconds to load everything back on the Helix.

One trick regarding the IR files is giving your files a 3 digit prefix that corresponds to the slot they're in on the IR panel. So name the first one 001...., the second 002...., etc. if you do that you can drag and drop them all together and they'll be loaded in the correct order.

I've upgrade from 2 to 2.01.

Everytime rebuild the preset: i turn off, press 9-10, then import my setlist ... turn off... REBUILD!

What's wrong?

Probably nothing. All the presets in the setlist you imported have to be rebuilt at some point. That happens when you restart the device, not when the setlist is imported. But it should only happen once for each setlist.

Are you having any performance issues after the presets are rebuilt?

This is interesting.........it seems few of you had the issue I had with the 2.0 update.  This probably comes from trying impedance matching to my guitar.  As I had done that pre 2.0 update, when I updated the impedance is now per patch rather than global.  I can see how that makes sense as you might be using totally different instruments for different patches.  So its a long term gain.  But as I had set it as a global, I had to modify every patch.  Then comes snapshots - yes, another gain - but it took 2 days (about 4 hours each) before I was feeling like I was set up to play a gig again.  And after a rehearsal, I know some of my settings still need work - yes, its unavoidable - things sound different at high volume and getting sounds that cut through the mix takes time.  So that little impedance thing has cost a lot of time - if it didn't do that for you guys, you are lucky! (or maybe you didn't dig that deep to begin with?)

Regarding updates - come on guys - its a computer - are you seeing all the people who didn't update their editor or reset and reload their patches?  It's not fair to say silly people should have read all the stuff properly - the updates are cumbersome and require you do do a sequence of events correctly - what's wrong with Line 6 writing a decent update utility that does that all in a foolproof way?  

I expect that level of coding in the world today - why don't you?  You expect it on your iPhone.

And thank you phil_m - your suggestion for IRs is a good one and I'll use it - something Line 6 could implement by default too - then we wouldn't need to think about it.

Don't get me wrong - its a great box - but there are too many rough edges in the software/hardware for my liking.  I know really good players who couldn't deal with it.  And that's a pity.  Push to make it better!  Those installation notes covered in warnings -  I'd call that unprofessional.

Probably nothing. All the presets in the setlist you imported have to be rebuilt at some point. That happens when you restart the device, not when the setlist is imported. But it should only happen once for each setlist.

Are you having any performance issues after the presets are rebuilt?

I have not encountered problems right now ... only the rebuild! 

You should export your bundle and/or setlists prior to installing the new editor. Doing the required reset after the update will clear all your presets, global settings and IRs. So after you do the update and install the new editor, you can import your bundle with all your setlists/presets (snapshots are saved within presets). You'll also have to re-import any IR files your using.

Sorry man. Missed this thread when i asked you earlier. I feel like its a relevant question though, so i'll put it here..

Is there any reason to update if 2.0 is working fine?

Sorry man. Missed this thread when i asked you earlier. I feel like its a relevant question though, so i'll put it here..

Is there any reason to update if 2.0 is working fine?

I'd say there's not necessarily an urgent reason to do it.

The one thing I could see that could potentially be an issue, and I'm not actually sure if it is or not, is if you tried to load a patch that someone had created with 2.01 onto your 2.00 Helix. I could see that sort of thing might cause some instability, but like I said, I'm not sure.

The official answer is that Line 6 "strongly recommends" everyone do the update. I think a big reason for that is that if there is ever an issue that someone needs help with, it's certainly can make troubleshooting much easier if you're using the most current firmware version.

This is interesting.........it seems few of you had the issue I had with the 2.0 update.  This probably comes from trying impedance matching to my guitar.  As I had done that pre 2.0 update, when I updated the impedance is now per patch rather than global.  I can see how that makes sense as you might be using totally different instruments for different patches.  So its a long term gain.  But as I had set it as a global, I had to modify every patch.  Then comes snapshots - yes, another gain - but it took 2 days (about 4 hours each) before I was feeling like I was set up to play a gig again.  And after a rehearsal, I know some of my settings still need work - yes, its unavoidable - things sound different at high volume and getting sounds that cut through the mix takes time.  So that little impedance thing has cost a lot of time - if it didn't do that for you guys, you are lucky! (or maybe you didn't dig that deep to begin with?)

Regarding updates - come on guys - its a computer - are you seeing all the people who didn't update their editor or reset and reload their patches?  It's not fair to say silly people should have read all the stuff properly - the updates are cumbersome and require you do do a sequence of events correctly - what's wrong with Line 6 writing a decent update utility that does that all in a foolproof way?  

I expect that level of coding in the world today - why don't you?  You expect it on your iPhone.

And thank you phil_m - your suggestion for IRs is a good one and I'll use it - something Line 6 could implement by default too - then we wouldn't need to think about it.

Don't get me wrong - its a great box - but there are too many rough edges in the software/hardware for my liking.  I know really good players who couldn't deal with it.  And that's a pity.  Push to make it better!  Those installation notes covered in warnings -  I'd call that unprofessional.

Regarding impedance, there was an issue in 2.0 where a saved value of impedance would DISPLAY but not actually LOAD. (best guess is the impedance was either 1M or Auto.)  This was made apparent by a user who needed to use a 10k input for a particular guitar (so very noticeable.)  This has been fixed in 2.01 (at least to my testing.)  On that notion alone I'd think the upgrade to 2.01 is worth doing.

Texasdave

Texasdave

AMEN!!!

The official answer is that Line 6 "strongly recommends" everyone do the update. I think a big reason for that is that if there is ever an issue that someone needs help with, it's certainly can make troubleshooting much easier if you're using the most current firmware version.

Ive been one for 40 years now and it make sense to this troubleshooter.

[...]

[...]  I'd call that unprofessional.

People should read 'all the stuff properly' because it's like with computers  :P 

I think that the Line6 Helix crew wrote 'decent' fluently working updates so far -

and that's something I call professional...

• Upvote 1

... - the updates are cumbersome and require you do do a sequence of events correctly - what's wrong with Line 6 writing a decent update utility that does that all in a foolproof way?

I actually agree with this. While I don't think it's that difficult to follow the instructions it's clear that the procedure is cumbersome enough to present difficulties for many. A rock-solid one-button-push fully automated procedure would be great.

Problem is - it doesn't exist right now. So Line 6 has to make a decision: release new features now, or wait until their development resources are re-allocated to an improved update utility and that utility is fully developed and debugged? I think they are making the right choice. Who knows - they may be working on an improved utility and are continuing to release updates in the meantime with the current set of instructions.

I've had more problems with this update than any others. It took several tries and the presets would not rebuild. This finally happened and then I tried to do the reset process and it never finishes this step. Help.

You may want to try and follow Klangmaler's excellent instructions for the upgrade here: http://line6.com/support/topic/19200-helix-can-not-connect-to-device/?p=166095

Thanks. I am certain that I have done this several times and still it is not functioning. Once, it rebuilt the presets and everything seemed good but I could not import old presets. I assumed this was due to the lack of resetting. When I tried this, everything crashed again. I have even deleted all the programs from my computer and gone back several versions and reinstalled and still no luck.