Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Firehawk FX a big step up from Amplifi?

Gkf9

Just upgraded about a month ago. Yes, it is a noticeable difference in tone quality with the HD models. Well worth the money just for that, but also more rugged, better switch layout for live performance and better connections. Had Firehawk at rehearsal last night for the first time and the rest of the band made lots of comments about how much more realistic the tone was, as compared to my Amplifi. I ran mostly low to moderate gain HD tube amp models and they couldn't believe the authentic "cranked up" tube sound I was getting out of solid state at low volume. All I had with me was Firehawk into a Behringer 12" powered monitor...

• 5 weeks later...

I switched from the Amplifi to the Firehawk. The firehawk also has an effects loop which is nice. I have a pedaltrain board with my favorite effects du jour in the loop and it works great.

Did you notice a better tone/experience than the Amplifi?

• 2 weeks later...

They operate pretty similarly. I think FH would be better for live use since it can all be right there on the floor instead of needing a shortboard connected to the unit like most of the Amplifi units. If you like the sounds on Amplifi, you will be happy with Firehawk.