Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

One path to FOH the other to a valve power amp

jc_anderton

The one thing I'm struggling with is getting a preset to sound great going to my stage (pub floor) rig, which is currently the FX return of a JCA 22H in to a 2x12 cab.  I have amp->cab going to the XLR outputs direct to the PA which sounds great.

I'm routing the output of the amp pre-cab block to the 1/4 Jack output which sounds awful, tried an EQ block after the amp to tame it a bit and it sounds better but not great.  The best solution I've found is to use 2 discrete paths, one using just a preamp block for the amp output, but this means duplicating all my effects and a lot of tweaking to get the sounds between the 2 paths balanced.

What would be great is if you could take a preamp out (FX send) from the amp block and route that to a second path.

Anyone got any better ideas?

The one thing I'm struggling with is getting a preset to sound great going to my stage (pub floor) rig, which is currently the FX return of a JCA 22H in to a 2x12 cab.  I have amp->cab going to the XLR outputs direct to the PA which sounds great.

I'm routing the output of the amp pre-cab block to the 1/4 Jack output which sounds awful, tried an EQ block after the amp to tame it a bit and it sounds better but not great.  The best solution I've found is to use 2 discrete paths, one using just a preamp block for the amp output, but this means duplicating all my effects and a lot of tweaking to get the sounds between the 2 paths balanced.

What would be great is if you could take a preamp out (FX send) from the amp block and route that to a second path.

Anyone got any better ideas?

I was running this exact setup with a Mesa head and Recto 212 (slowly migrating to FRFR now). 

Have you tried a Helix full amp block?  Also try adjusting the presence knob on you tube amp as this like affects the power section.

I had a similar reaction to just the Helix preamp blocks into the effects return of my tube rig.

I also noticed that the JCA22H has EL84 tubes, which are inherently brighter and chimey.  I definitely noticed more harshness running Helix into my Mesa 20/20 EL84 amp and Recto 212 than my 6L6 amps.  Running full Helix amp models should tone that down as well as setting the Presence on your amp lower.

Thanks for the response - I've tried the full amp models, but they don't sound anywhere near as good as the pre-amp only models into my Jet City, or my EHX Magnum 44, the pre-amps sound great!

The manual also recommends just using preamps if you are running in to an external power amp

I think the best solution for me is to run 2 separate path's for now, but a pre-amp out from the full amp model would be a fantastic addition so you could run to the PA with the full amp and cabs and to a power amp and real guitar cab from the pre-amp out, that would save a lot of DSP, and a lot of tweaking. 

Alternatively if they provided a power amp section only you could do it that way, currently there are pre-amps, full amps, amps and cabs, and cabs available as separate blocks, but no poweramp only block.

I'd post a request on the Ideascale but can't figure out how to register :)