Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I just got a new JTV69 from GC and I am waiting for my variax cable that they forget to give me...........  My question is how much of a difference in sound is there from a standard 1/4" cable to the variax cable?  Thanks everyone.

That debate will rage forever. Some will tell you they hear little to no difference at all, others will vilify one or the other as unusable for their chosen application. Stand by for soliloquies on A/D and D/A conversion...

Personally, I couldn't care less. I hate batteries, and the VDI also allows for control of the guitar from the POD/Helix/whatever. Don't think I've ever plugged it in with the 1/4"...

Actually, I take that back. If I'm recording acoustic models, I get really nice results just plugging straight into my interface, and adding just a little EQ and reverb in the DAW.

• Upvote 1

Honestly if you can't hear the difference in the mags VDI vs 1/4, you're going deaf. If we're talking about the modeling alone, there is no difference.

VDI makes the magnetics more brighter than usual.

This is coming from a guy that thinks flac files are stupid and that mp3s suffice btw. You guys could be just talking about the models I guess.

Honestly if you can't hear the difference in the mags VDI vs 1/4, you're going deaf. If we're talking about the modeling alone, there is no difference.

VDI makes the magnetics more brighter than usual.

I'll check it out.  I was only referring to the modeling.

• Upvote 1

I'll check it out.  I was only referring to the modeling.

Like I said, modeling has pretty much no difference. The only people that can hear a difference are probably audiophile hipsters who think they have the hearing of a bat.

The only thing that's going to be different modeling-wise is that, 1/4 is running through a D/A converter, while VDI, it bypasses that and feeds the digital signal to the POD straight, kinda like a SPDIF cable.

What I was talking about with the magnetics though, is the fact that it runs through without any cable resistance, and someone even suggested that your pickups become kind of active through the VDI circuit, which causes them to become a whole lot brighter. I noticed this when comparing mags to modeling. modeling sounds closer to mags in 1/4, then the mags sound brighter than the modeling via VDI.

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get the variax cable to try it.  I tried the JTV with a standard guitar cable and was surprised at how much I will have to change my Helix patches from my EVH guitar.

If you're very careful (as in stay in one place and don't move around) you can use a standard Ethernet cable to try it out.

• Upvote 1