Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Half-Wave Antennas on longer Cables

Looking for affirmation before I cut holes in an old rack...

I use a digital mixer that requires an external router. I am mostly using an Apple Airport Express. Experience (and the manual) has taught me that when using two V75s, if I put the Airport Express on the floor more or less, and I put the receivers a least 6 feet in the air, I do not get dropouts, but if I put them a lot lower, there is more risk of dropouts.

So I have an idea that I wonder if it will work...

What I want to do is really simple: I would like to mount the two half-wave antennas to an 8' (or less) PVC pole, and run a low-loss 50-ohm cable from the antennas down to the receiver living safely in the rack.

My question: Will that actually work? Or do the half-wave antennas need to be closer to the receiver? I know I can front-mount them on a rack case, but this will put them essentially 8' of cable away.

Thoughts are welcome -- please!

Joe

I'd suggest just trying it to see. I usually use L6 paddles on the end of 15' cables but also have an install (albeit Sennheiser G3) with stock antennae on the end of long cables which works fine. My antennae theory is rather rusty so I can't comment on the necessity or otherwise of a ground plane though.

Thanks Sheriton! I was hoping to avoid spending the money on the cables, because my local source only stocks BNCs starting at about 20 feet.

Might have to do exactly that, though. I'm sure I read somewhere that a low-loss 50-ohm cable is safe if unamplified for about ten feet, so maybe I'll start there.

Thanks for weighing in, though!

Joe