Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware update tip, don't unplug ANY USB device

roscoe5

Just sharing a little experience just now...you really shouldn't unplug ANY USB device while updating Firmware.

I have a personal computer and work computer setup at home, both hooked up to the same monitor and switch video input.  But I move the USB cable for keyboard and mouse back and forth...poor man's KVM.

I unplugged my keyboard/mouse USB during Helix 2.01 update and it failed.  Thank goodness a message popped up on Helix to reboot the device and try again.  I had a momentary bricking scare.  In hindsight, that was dumb of me to do.

I rebooted Helix and successfully installed v2.01 (patiently) and we are good to go.

Thanks for the idiot-proofing Line 6!!!

• Upvote 1

Just sharing a little experience just now...you really shouldn't unplug ANY USB device while updating Firmware.

I have a personal computer and work computer setup at home, both hooked up to the same monitor and switch video input.  But I move the USB cable for keyboard and mouse back and forth...poor man's KVM.

I unplugged my keyboard/mouse USB during Helix 2.01 update and it failed.  Thank goodness a message popped up on Helix to reboot the device and try again.  I had a momentary bricking scare.  In hindsight, that was dumb of me to do.

I rebooted Helix and successfully installed v2.01 (patiently) and we are good to go.

Thanks for the idiot-proofing Line 6!!!

Glad you got it working. I always get real anxious during these procedures because you just know that a power outage is going to happen, even though it never does.

Here is another firmware tip. I don't know if previous versions of the Updater have allowed it, but if they do, never use your current version of the Updater to update to the newest firmware version. Always backup your presets & IRs and then download the latest version of the "Helix" application first, let it install the latest Updater, Editor and drivers, and only then go and update your firmware. Don't forget the global reset afterwards.

These instructions could change in the future but so far each new firmware version has been accompanied by new versions of the Editor, Updater, or drivers.

My advice is hold your breath (at least don't touch anything) during the FW update.

Reminds me of trying to burn CDs ways back when CD burners first came out. I used to hit "write" then touch nothing until it finished ... just sit there and breathe very very slowly  :D

• Upvote 1