Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Helix is dead

rng52465

Help.  My Helix floor unit is dead.  The screen reads "Boot Failure.  Entered Update Model".  Won't boot up holding down F9 and F10 or F5 and F6 or anything.  Dead dead dead.  Also a red 0 on the top left of the screen. :( :( :angry:

Have you tried starting it while holding FS6 and FS12 at the same time? That should start it up in safe mode... If that works, you should be able to install the firmware from that mode.

Have you tried starting it while holding FS6 and FS12 at the same time? That should start it up in safe mode... If that works, you should be able to install the firmware from that mode.

Kinda same issue here. Updated to 2.01 fine. Powered Helix off for a while. Now my PC doesn't recognize Helix. Tired ALL avenues.  Grrrr

LOL.... yes. and everything in between.

Installed 2.01 "successfully". Had the editor opened. shut down Helix for a while. Turned back on, Helix is no longer recognized by L6 software. Tried everything to re-establish connectivity.... to no avail. Even tried rolling back to previous FW. Almost like my Helix USB is bricked OR it's a a software glitch.

I've owned a Kemper and an Amplifire with no problems updating software....Also owned two HD's and a Firehawk and had problems with L6 software on all of them.
My son repairs electronics (mostly computers) for a living. His comment to me tonight was that L6 software is glitchy.

LOL.... yes. and everything in between.

Installed 2.01 "successfully". Had the editor opened. shut down Helix for a while. Turned back on, Helix is no longer recognized by L6 software. Tried everything to re-establish connectivity.... to no avail. Even tried rolling back to previous FW. Almost like my Helix USB is bricked OR it's a a software glitch.

I've owned a Kemper and an Amplifire with no problems updating software....Also owned two HD's and a Firehawk and had problems with L6 software on all of them.

My son repairs electronics (mostly computers) for a living. His comment to me tonight was that L6 software is glitchy.

Does the helix itself work? Did you update the editor? Did you do the 9/10 reboot?

More info needed to help you.

YEah it works witht he stock patches. Did the 9/10 reboot. Maybe I'm holding my tongue wrong ?

If this is just a problem with the Editor, try using the Line6 Helix Uninstaller, to remove your old software, it will be under Control Panel/Programs And Features in Windows. Download a fresh version of the "Helix Editor 2.01". This app will install the latest version of the Editor, drivers, and Updater. Hope this gets everything working normally again. You may know this already but make sure you get the download that says "Helix" in the dark grey bar at the top and has the correct details for the 2.01 version in the release notes.  You do not need the download that says "Flash Memory" in the dark grey bar unless you are going to instruct the Updater to get the firmware from your local machine.

Jesus, ever week I say, ok today I will do the update from 1.12. I check the forums, and then go 'not yet. So aftraid of rendering myself without a working unit.

Over on the TGP forum, DI mentioned that CS has said that 95% of the calls they've received from people having problems with the update were because they didn't follow the update instructions. Not saying that's what's happened here, but I'm just saying that regardless of these sorts of posts, it's still very rare. I also think if it's a matter of a firmware update revealing some sort of underlying flaw with a particular Helix, it's probably best to find out about it now rather than later.

I understand the trepidation, but to me, it's kind of reminds me of how my mother-in-law always refused to drive on one particularly busy highway near her house simply because she knew there were a lot of accidents on that road... Sometimes you just have to take the leap.

• Upvote 1

I was a bit worried about updating to 2.01 - as when I had updated to 2.0 it failed the first time I tried - and displayed some very odd hieroglyphics on the Helix screen.  Thankfully second time 2.0 worked.

However 2.01 worked first time, no problems and all is well :)

Over on the TGP forum, DI mentioned that CS has said that 95% of the calls they've received from people having problems with the update were because they didn't follow the update instructions. Not saying that's what's happened here, but I'm just saying that regardless of these sorts of posts, it's still very rare. I also think if it's a matter of a firmware update revealing some sort of underlying flaw with a particular Helix, it's probably best to find out about it now rather than later.

Definitely! Take advantage of that warranty, the time to find out if your unit has a problem is now. Just follow the instructions to the letter. Chances are the update will be without issue. Even if you do encounter a problem it can almost always be resolved by either a reinstall or rolling back to an earlier version and then reinstalling. Just remember to back up everything first.  I do understand not wanting to be the first person to do an update but a lot of people have successfully updated with the 2.01 version by now from what I can see. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my Helix in Sunday. It is firmware 104.3. Tried to update to 2.10 and have now got the dreaded "Boot Failure. Entered Uodate mode". I've retried three time without success. I'm using. Mac Mini. It appears that this firmware does not support manual firmware update so I am stuck.

Can anyone help me or should I send it back and get my money back? This is the worse update process I have ever encountered.

Thanks for you help.

I bought my Helix in Sunday. It is firmware 104.3. Tried to update to 2.10 and have now got the dreaded "Boot Failure. Entered Uodate mode". I've retried three time without success. I'm using. Mac Mini. It appears that this firmware does not support manual firmware update so I am stuck.

Can anyone help me or should I send it back and get my money back? This is the worse update process I have ever encountered.

Thanks for you help.

If by "manual firmware update", yes you can do it. You have to download the flash file (2.10 flash file for floor unit is here), save it somewhere on your computer, and then hit button that says "offline mode" in the Line 6 Updater application. You'll see a browse button where you can find the file you just downloaded.

That being said, I don't know if that will help in your case. Usually with this error, people have success using another USB port or another computer. Are you using a USB hub?

I understand the trepidation, but to me, it's kind of reminds me of how my mother-in-law always refused to drive on one particularly busy highway near her house simply because she knew there were a lot of accidents on that road... Sometimes you just have to take the leap.

To be fair, my update had loads of dramas and none of it was down to following instructions incorrectly. The amount of times I applied an update just to revive the unit, using the same routine time after time and eventually getting success, tells me that the update process is a bit glitch to say the least if we're being honest.

One piece of advice I would give is to download the firmware file to your pc and apply it that way. A lot of the problem is downloading the update from the site, it seems very unstable at times. It's not obvious at all but the file is in the download list under flash memory.

I'm seeing all the same issues here that I had. I was very worried my Helix was not coming back and worse still - I bought mine second hand so I've got not purchase warranty as such.

But with some help from from here I have realised that you just just need to keep trying. I must have done mine twenty or thirty times times until I got it back.

Download the current editor software with updater

Download the correct flash memory for your OS to your pc

Do not use Microsoft Edge. Use google chrome or something similar.

If you get a failed update, re-boot the Helix using all the reset options available

If none of those reset it, keep trying safe boot/update mode (switch 6&12?)

The LCD may still be messed up. Remove the usb cable and keep trying safe boot

Alternatively download an earlier firmware and keep trying to load that.

Eventually you will either get an earlier firmware to work or you'll get it in safe boot/update.

Once that happens you should be able to load firmware. I got mine back to 2.01 using this method. I haven't yet tried 2.10

but I feel it will more likely be successful from a file on my pc than direct from a download relying on internet connection.

Hopefully this will help some get out of a bad place. Otherwise it's tech support

Thanks for your help. Could someone tell me the difference between a firmware update and a "flash file"? I am a bit confused and feel I need to understand this before venturing down the flash file route suggested by phil_m. Sounds a bit scary!

Thanks for your help. Could someone tell me the difference between a firmware update and a "flash file"? I am a bit confused and feel I need to understand this before venturing down the flash file route suggested by phil_m. Sounds a bit scary!

The flash file is the actual file that contains the firmware. When you run the Line 6 Updater application in the usual mode, it goes out to the internet and downloads that file in the background. It then sends that file to the Helix over USB. To install the firmware manually, you use the same Line 6 Updater app, you just use it offline mode, and load the file from your computer. It just makes it so the Updater doesn't have to connect to the internet.