Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just ordered a JTV 89F and now it's out of stock :(

When I made the order at GC 3 days ago there was one on hand and then yesterday I got an email stating that it was back ordered and won't be in until mid August... UUUUGGGHHH!!! I sure hope there has been a mistake and it will be in next week (like they told me)... I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON IT!!!

Local GC's are totally about the people that work there. There are some great friends and outstanding musicians and techs that work at my local GC. Not all of them have the big box stigma.

I have certainly been to a couple in certain cities the were a pit of depression.

This happened to me also. It appears that they (Line 6) don't keep a very large back stock of them around. I think they had to unload a bunch of the old
Variax's at a discount because they used to. Worth the wait if you get one that works. Don't let that last statement scare you. I've had excellent luck with Line 6. I own 4 Varaixs and they all work great, but I did have an issue with the JTV89F that I had ordered. It took awhile to get corrected. So, Just make sure everything works. If it does, you'll be good to go. I have two of the old Variax 500's purchased around 10 years ago and they still work great.

Don't hold your breath, my other guitarist has been waiting for his JTV for over 2 months now, I ordered a Stagescape a month ago and it hasn't shipped yet either. Line 6 appears to be very backed up on lots of stuff.

I ordered the red because I have a few black guitars already

They need a few new colors for those guitars. When I ordered mine the choices were black or "blood red." I have too many black guitars now, so I ordered the red. I ordered through GC as well, and they didn't have them in stock then, either, and honestly that's a good thing. When mine arrived it was fresh off the boat (from Calabasas to Kentucky and back to LA, go figure) and perfect. 

A year later I was playing it so much I decided I needed a backup. I still have too many black guitars and Line 6 still didn't have any other colors, so another "blood red" one it was (there's now a "1" and a "2" on the Floyd sprint cavity covers). This time the silly Koreans transposed the "Model" and "Tuning" knobs, so I drove it out to Calabasas where they graciously transposed them (I was leery of tackling it myself for fear of breaking a circuit board or some such nonsense) in about 5 minutes. 

There are NO Variax guitars at the Pasadena GC, and the people that work there know nothing about them at all. I just this second ordered up a VDI cable (we'll see how long THAT takes to get here) at Pasadena and had to explain what they are and what they did, and now I have to take mine into the store to assuage the curiosity of several of the "associates." And yes, they DO have a Line 6 rep and no, he's apparently not interested in taking a guitar with him to educate them himself. 

Don't assume it's Line 6 creating the holdup. Guitar Denter has serious financial issues and quite a few vendors will not ship them gear on credit and will not let them hold inventory on credit. I can't say that Line 6 is one of those vendors, but I will guarantee you that most Guitar Splinters do NOT have a lot of inventory behind the boxes on display. Aside from the $500 and under gear, it's pretty much all special order. 

There are NO Variax guitars at the Pasadena GC, and the people that work there know nothing about them at all. I just this second ordered up a VDI cable (we'll see how long THAT takes to get here) at Pasadena and had to explain what they are and what they did, and now I have to take mine into the store to assuage the curiosity of several of the "associates." And yes, they DO have a Line 6 rep and no, he's apparently not interested in taking a guitar with him to educate them himself.

Lol...it's nice to know that things haven't changed much since the last time I ventured into one of those pits of despair (gotta be at least 15 years)...the story is still amusing. I was in need of a new MIDI foot controller for whatever rack pre-amp and multi FX unit(s) I was using at the time. Walked in, told the creature behind the counter what I needed, and following the patented indignant huff and smirk, I was told "MIDI is for keyboards, man" and that such an item "didn't exist" for guitar rigs. Then I pointed to the display case 6 feet away that had 2 or 3 of them in it. Walked out, never went back. Can't imagine why they've been hemorrhaging money for years on end....

Lol...it's nice to know that things haven't changed much since the last time I ventured into one of those pits of despair (gotta be at least 15 years)...the story is still amusing. I was in need of a new MIDI foot controller for whatever rack pre-amp and multi FX unit(s) I was using at the time. Walked in, told the creature behind the counter what I needed, and following the patented indignant huff and smirk, I was told "MIDI is for keyboards, man" and that such an item "didn't exist" for guitar rigs. Then I pointed to the display case 6 feet away that had 2 or 3 of them in it. Walked out, never went back. Can't imagine why they've been hemorrhaging money for years on end....

I have long since worn out my original forehead with palm smacks in those stores. 

"Dude, were you around when ALL the Beatles were alive?"

And when I show them guitars that I purchased new back when, I get, "Whoa, Dude, Vintage!"

Guitar colors follow trends and fads, apparently. Non-more-black has given way to matte finish black guitars with greasy fingerprints (don't they learn from their walls at home?). Line 6 has always assumed that the 89 and 89F will only be purchased by metal-based shredders. Hence the extra down tunings from the factory and the wide color palette. While I'm an LP fan (especially those with Floyds and 24-fret boards), I think the 89F maybe the best of the JTV bunch. I love the wide/flat neck profile, the fret size, the Graphtech piezos. I like having FOUR knobs with the master volume within pinky reach, and I like having a five-way (sorry, 59 fans). I like having 24 frets because it means that the 22 or so that I use are out in the breeze and available. 

But I could wish for more colors (no, I will NOT buy a USA version) and the same tunings as on the other guitars (and yes, I know I can set up my own, but then I have to remember that Drop B is actually Blues G or whatever...). 

Well surprise surprise, they got 1 in and I picked it up Wednesday and didn't get to play with it much till Sunday at church (because of work) and I must say it is spectacular with the helix it is so awesome and I made 2 capo patches (5th fret and 2nd fret) of the presets I have been using lately in about 3 minuets. I will never need a capo again!!! and yes it was almost in tune when I pulled it out of the box and with a very little tweek it was in tune and the battery had just enough charge on it to plug in and test it out at the GC for about ten minuets also it is like someone else said that the guitar is like they did a factory setup and the intonation is on!!! and the action is great but it has what feel like 10's on it (a little heavy for my liking) 

Another thing is it feels great and it sounds great unplugged, I have never spent this much for a guitar and I can feel the quality and play-ability that makes me feel like it was well worth the $$$$.

Oh yeah I love the Blood Red (perfect for the Christian Guitar Player that wants to have the reminder of the blood shed by my Lord and savior Jesus Christ!!!)

My GC has some awesome fellows working there and are always a big help... 

JTV-89F.jpg

Love the color the style everything, EXCEPT, that darn headstock logo. Blech!!! I'm trying some things. I'll get back to you on what works. (Starting with a Sharpie)

It is dreadful, isn't it? We get it...your name is James Tyler, and you make guitars. By all means have a logo, nothing wrong with that. Or put your name on it. Once.

Me, me, me, me, me, me. Ugh.

Love the color the style everything, EXCEPT, that darn headstock logo. Blech!!! I'm trying some things. I'll get back to you on what works. (Starting with a Sharpie)

Ya know, it becomes a sort of gray, liney graphic once you get any distance from it. Trust me, you see it because you're two feet from it, but the audience doesn't know or care... 

Put a bag over it.