Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does the JTV 89F suffer from the plink issue some 59s and 69s have?

The saddles are only different because it's a Floyd...they're still piezos, and plink is a piezo problem, not model-related. Any Variax could potentially have an issue with it. And I'm pretty sure I've seen more than one complaint about an 89...just luck of the draw, and there's only one way to find out.

People have reported the issue on the guitar sadly. I was hoping that the graphtech piezos which pride theirselves to advertise that their piezos "compress and naturally fight piezo quack" would mean the problem wouldn't be present on these guitars.

It's a hit or miss. Order from a place that'll let you swap your JTV guitars for a good one if you receive a bad one.

Thanks guys.... I went back to re-read our most infamous thread on the subject of plink, and it turns out the OP was complaining about his... you guessed it.... 89F.

There's a B-stock directly from Line 6 on Reverb right now for $959 with a "make an offer" button if anyone is interested. I am sure they would accept a return, but I don't have much confidence that it will be right. Plus I have WAY too many guitars again LOL.

It really is a shame so many of these guitars have this problem. My 59 is so well built, nice looking and easy to play. I play some chunky high gain stuff in e flat on occasion in my band, and I just can't use the modeling for this application due to the plink.

I've got two JTV89Fs (Graphtech saddles) and no plink. I have no idea why. I'm just crossing my fingers that it stays that way. 

Besides, given the way I play, I suspect that most of my listeners assume it's Yet Another Clam...

Its tough to judge from a forum the number of products that are bad or affected in the total population simply because this is where people go to when they have problems.  I have both and 89F and 59 that do not have the plink problem.

Its tough to judge from a forum the number of products that are bad or affected in the total population simply because this is where people go to when they have problems.  I have both and 89F and 59 that do not have the plink problem.

I've had two 59's and they both had the plink problem. Just my luck :D

I just received my 89F, that I bought from Line 6 Direct through eBay. It was discounted as a factory second.

Literally got it 10 minutes ago. A few observations...

1) There is absolutely NO PLINK AT ALL. The plink is missing on every model, in all of the tunings I tried. Hallelujah!! I would have already repackaged it for a return if this was not the case. I know on my 59, usually the plink is there but very slight, with occasions where it becomes so pronounced that it becomes unusable. In other words, the problems comes and goes. I will watch for that on this guitar.

2) The guitar is a factory second, the description on the eBay ad stated it was probably due to finish flaws. The only flaws I found were small finish scratches around the top, like someone was playing the crap out of it, then returned it. Other than that, the guitar is beauty.

3) The guitar is a 2013 model. That's pretty old, IMO. I would have preferred a newer guitar, but hey, it doesn't friggin' plink, so...

I think I might have gotten a good one.

Going back to the old firmware does NOT resolve the issue. It's the piezo for sure. I hooked up my 59 to workbench and tried the trick where you lower the string volume on the piezo to 75% on each string and the plink is gone !!!! Completely got rid of it !!! So sometimes the piezo could be too hot i guess. This one is well documented here on the forums and shows you how to do it. Hope this helps out.

Cheers !!

Going back to the old firmware does NOT resolve the issue. It's the piezo for sure. I hooked up my 59 to workbench and tried the trick where you lower the string volume on the piezo to 75% on each string and the plink is gone !!!! Completely got rid of it !!! So sometimes the piezo could be too hot i guess. This one is well documented here on the forums and shows you how to do it. Hope this helps out.

Cheers !!

Interesting to see that in workbench, it tells you when your signal is clipping - the word magically appears then disappears up in the right hand corner of the screen - I'd never noticed it before - I was making some adjustments to models last night and saw it for the first time. Maybe take note of this feature, cos there sure ain't no way to tell if it's clipping in Helix or HD500 etc. A simple feature to add you would think, if it's there in workbench, why not in HD edit, or Helix edit, or indeed on the units themselves?

I wish someone could record the piezo-pling, because I am not really sure about it at all.

Maybe a recording with and without the 75 % trick applied?

There are a bunch of audio clips in an epic-length thread titled "Do you have the same problem with the 6th string?"

There are a whole host of factors that contribute to the plink...the amount of gain, technique, the individual piezos in question, just to name a few. That's why it seems to affect some guitars and not others.

That 75% "trick" is anything but a guarantee...the instruments that are affected the worst aren't helped at all by lowering the string volumes.

You either get a good one, or you don't.

• Upvote 1

I get that sound on my ES-330 when I try to make like Tony Iomi doing

a Lo-E string scrap,... it sounds more like a plinky screech, or try palm

muting on it. But that's because I suck at palm muting. Don't use it much.

And that's on Gibson ES-330 that doesn't use piezos.