Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Explain Snapshots and how they're different from presets.

clay-man

Yes.

The photography analogy is a good one, I think. Think of a preset as being the subject being photographed. Physically, it is constant and well defined - it's just there as it is, like a preset's amps, FX models, and signal chain flow are there, and well defined. Snapshots are different images of the subject - in photography and in Helix. In photography this is different angles and perspectives of the fixed subject. In Helix it is different images of the fixed preset - different amp/FX states (on/off) and up to 64 different parameter settings among all the amps/FX.

Hope that helps.

snapshot allows you to set the preset to the tone you like and save the current state of all effects and parameters. You may want to turn on or off some effects, adjust some parameters within effects and amps to create your lead tone. you can save that to snapshot 2. snapsot 3 can be another state and so on. (Up to 64 parameters can be changed with snapshots)

a snapshot always uses the same preset so the change is instant.

When changing presets, the Helix has to dump all effects and load the new ones which takes a small but noticable amount of time.

Basically, they let you have one preset that has defferent settings for each block and allow you to change "patches" without any latency.  The biggest advantage is no delay when switching sounds.  You can create new presets to do the same thing but when you switch presets the helix has to unload everything from memory and reload the new preset which takes time and you will notice the delay.  With snapshots you can save different verson of the same preset and recall them instantly.  Example:  You can create a preset that has multiple amps and multiple FX in it and then each snapshot can have a different state of the blocks or send controller changes.  I have one preset now that does everything I need using snapshots.  Snapshot 1 is Path A with a clean amp and reverb, Snapshot 2 is  Path A with a clean amp drive pedal and reverb, Snapshot 3 is Path B with a Soldano loaded for dirty rhythm, Snapshot 4 is the same as 3 but with a dely added and a boost added for leads.  Snapshot 5 is Clean with Chorus and Reverb, Snapshot 6 is Clean with a drive pedal, Tremelo, delay and reveb, Snapshot 7 is the same as Snapshot 3 but with Univibe added, Snapshop 8 Path B with Univibe (both with different intensity settings than on snapshot 7) delay with diffent feedback and mix than on the other snapshots, and another delay block on with dotted 1/8 notes.  So with one button click I can now go from a lead tone with tones of FX over to a crunch tone or to a clean tone wth chorus, etc.  It is like presets but there is no latency like when using presets.  I had presets for each change mentioned above but It was pretty unusable live, at least for me, since the time it took to switch messed with my timing.  I have many songs that go from one extreme to the next and I am the only guitarist so if the change isn't instant is sounds like you missed the change.  With snapshots I don't have to worry about that now.  They really are amazing.  I have pretty much ditched all my presets and went down to 2 with Snapshots.  The one preset is my core preset that I use with the band and I never leave it but just switch snapshots.  The second one is my blues rock preset with fewer snapshots and completely different amp arrangement.    

• Thanks 1

So if I wanted to use the same amp for clean and distortion without having to throw in too much boosts, I could just straight up have a snapshot of it on different gain/volume/etc settings to have a clean and distorted sound?

That would be really awesome, and I think it helps not have to waste another patch that's just a duplicate with different settings.

So if I wanted to use the same amp for clean and distortion without having to throw in too much boosts, I could just straight up have a snapshot of it on different gain/volume/etc settings to have a clean and distorted sound?

That would be really awesome, and I think it helps not have to waste another patch that's just a duplicate with different settings.

Yep. You can do this.

I'm just going to add this because SNAPSHOTS make sense to me without any non-guitar analogy..   Simply put, no more having to dance on the pedal board to change several parameters or turn effects on and off.   Set'm up the way you need'm for each part of your tune or each "sound" you use... then just one button takes you there.

1.  Picture your old non-modeling guitar rig.  effects, pre-amp, effects in loop, amp...  whatever you got.    THIS IS A PRESET.

2.  Adjust everything to play a song.  Maybe distortion on, reverb on, gain channel..    Save this as SNAPSHOT 1

3.  Now change all of the adjustments for another song.  Maybe distortion OF,  reverb off, but delay on, clean channel.    Save this as SNAPSHOT 2 

You can continue this to create up to 8 snapshots within this one preset. 

There are some additional features, but that's the meat of it.  Those who never used a pedal board probably aren't wrapping their head around them as easily as those who had to learn to dance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This topic has been very eye-opening and I finally get it.  I just downloaded the new custom-tone "Boston Rocktman" and it's amazing.  I believe there are 8 snapshots that go with this tone.  I trying to figure out how to switch snapshots and the only way I can do this is with my computer, not with the Helix.

How do I switch among the 8 snapshots this custom-tone has on the helix?

Thanks!

If your display does not show the snapshots associated with the footswitches already you need to press the Bank Up/Down footswitches simultaneously. This will temporarily display the snapshots within the preset, each one associated with a footswitch. All lights will be flashing indicating that you need to select one. The display will then revert to its previous state.

If your display is in 10-stomp mode y will need to use the Mode switch to see the snapshots. Select one and hit the Mode switch again to get back to the previous display.

(All this is clearly documented in the new manual. 😉)

Yes, that - plus, delay and reverb spillover - and no audio dropout as you would get changing presets.

It's a patch inside a preset. Snapshot / photo analogy in earlier post was excellent. Previously the preset was the snapshot and the preset all in one. Now, it's something within the preset, and that's why it's soo cool.

If your display does not show the snapshots associated with the footswitches already you need to press the Bank Up/Down footswitches simultaneously. This will temporarily display the snapshots within the preset, each one associated with a footswitch. All lights will be flashing indicating that you need to select one. The display will then revert to its previous state.

If your display is in 10-stomp mode y will need to use the Mode switch to see the snapshots. Select one and hit the Mode switch again to get back to the previous display.

(All this is clearly documented in the new manual. )

Thanks!  I am so inthralled with my new Helix I have not read the manual as you can tell.  I will get to that soon, thank you so much!

• 5 months later...

Yes to the first question, subject to DSP limitations.

As for the second question I think the order of the blocks in the signal chain might also be a factor. I've never tried it. I expect the design intent was to copy within a preset but it may transfer to an identical preset configuration. I'm not sure it would be any advantage though - you might as well just copy the entire preset and then change the snapshots as desired in both presets.

EDIT: Upon further reflection I can't imagine how it's practical to copy a snapshot between presets. In order to do that successfully the presets would have to be IDENTICAL with respect to the assigned snapshot controllers. Not only must the presets have the same amp/FX blocks in the same order but the parameters defined as snapshot controllers (up to 64 of them) must themselves be identical in both presets, with just their parameter values differing.

What's the best way to ensure that the two presets are IDENTICAL in that respect prior to getting the desired snapshot in the other preset? Copy the preset, then edit the snapshot. Much simpler, quicker, and more reliable than manually editing/comparing the presets.

What's the best way to ensure that the two presets are IDENTICAL in that respect prior to getting the desired snapshot in the other preset? Copy the preset, then edit the snapshot. Much simpler, quicker, and more reliable than manually editing/comparing the presets.

I do this all the time. I have presets with snapshots that I use as templates. Ultimately, I land up changing parameters on the snapshots that I change, but at least the snapshot names and the order of the foot switches stay the same. 

Just played with snapshots feature for the first time.  Really Simple stuff - still on just one path so less than half of helix in play.  One footswitch tweaked gain and level of overdrive box and master from amp - instant lead tone!

Wish it would be that easy in amp and stomp box world.

Just played with snapshots feature for the first time.  Really Simple stuff - still on just one path so less than half of helix in play.  One footswitch tweaked gain and level of overdrive box and master from amp - instant lead tone!

Wish it would be that easy in amp and stomp box world.

It is easy if you have some pedal minions that with tweak the knobs on the fly. It's not nice to stomp on you minions though. 

• 11 months later...

Snapshots are different from presets in that they are used to navigate INSIDE a SINGLE preset. This allows the user to change any effects they see fit (not amps and cabs though), without having dropouts in sound during changes.

Where as if the user was to change sounds by changing presets, there would be a noticeable dropout until the preset has had time to change to the next....which would be a PITA live.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I get my helix Tuesday and I’m pumped!

Kool man. Congrats. It might be important to note that you'll have to have some patience. Sometimes the sound doesnt jump right out of the box at you.If youre getting it on a 30 day trial, use your christmas vacation to put it thru its paces at every scenario possible. Run it into your tube amp, studio monitors, more than one set of monitors, ect....

What style or type of sound are you shooting for? Do you have any IRs?

Can I switch amp channels in snap shots too?

I assume you are talking about changing the channel on your physical amp, since you aren't planning on using amp models. I've never done that, but it's controlled by midi communication. I occasionally read that some amps respond well and others don't. You'll have to do some research for your particular amp and how to set it up. 

Kool man. Congrats. It might be important to note that you'll have to have some patience. Sometimes the sound doesnt jump right out of the box at you.If youre getting it on a 30 day trial, use your christmas vacation to put it thru its paces at every scenario possible. Run it into your tube amp, studio monitors, more than one set of monitors, ect....

What style or type of sound are you shooting for? Do you have any IRs?

This is my first modeling rig and really, it’s not why I got it. However, from all the videos I’ve been watching, who knows. My pedal board is heavy and kinda a pain. I’m in 3 bands, 3 different genre, in 3 different practice spaces. I have a mark v 35, jcm 800 and hot rod. I think I may have solved all my problems with the helix.

I’ll check it out. Thanks.

I use a mark v 35 as my main rig and I had to get a special cable that is 5 pin (looks like midi) to dual 1/4â€. I thought it used midi when I bought it but turns out not to be. Can I use two control outs (channel, eq,solo) with a snap shot or does it have to be midi?

I’ll check it out. Thanks.

I use a mark v 35 as my main rig and I had to get a special cable that is 5 pin (looks like midi) to dual 1/4â€. I thought it used midi when I bought it but turns out not to be. Can I use two control outs (channel, eq,solo) with a snap shot or does it have to be midi?

You can use snapshots with the CV out but you will need the correct cable and settings. Some folks have had problems getting CV switching to work correctly with certain amps. I am not sure if the Mark V is on that list. If someone else has gotten this working hopefully they will post up their method. It may prove to be no problem at all.

Here is a video that may help. The video is for channel switching but the same principles should apply to EQ, or solo. You may have to narrow down what you are going to control via the CV ouput. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhyVwfT-lns

You could also use a MIDI switcher like the RJM Gizmo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniAmpGizmo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMjijPaP2AIVgksNCh2DGAuSEAQYAiABEgLkN_D_BwE

Here is a long thread on getting the Mesa V:25 working with the Helix: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-helix-and-mesa-boogie-mark-v-25-channel-switching-issue.1628810/

Also bear in mind that while Snapshots allow you to control 64 Parameters including Bypass/Enable state of any Block, as well as the parameter values of the various Blocks in your Signal Chain, Snapshots do not support reordering of Blocks in the Signal Path nor swapping different Amps, Cabs, or other Blocks into nor out of the Signal Chain. For these tasks, you would need to create different Presets. Switching between Presets does impose a brief momentary audio interruption as the new Blocks and their Parameters load, and doing so kills any Reverb or Delay FX tails of the prior Preset. Nonetheless, it may be suitable for your needs.

You can use snapshots with the CV out but you will need the correct cable and settings. Some folks have had problems getting CV switching to work correctly with certain amps. I am not sure if the Mark V is on that list. If someone else has gotten this working hopefully they will post up their method. It may prove to be no problem at all.

Here is a video that may help. The video is for channel switching but the same principles should apply to EQ, or solo. You may have to narrow down what you are going to control via the CV ouput. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhyVwfT-lns

You could also use a MIDI switcher like the RJM Gizmo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniAmpGizmo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMjijPaP2AIVgksNCh2DGAuSEAQYAiABEgLkN_D_BwE

Here is a long thread on getting the Mesa V:25 working with the Helix: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-helix-and-mesa-boogie-mark-v-25-channel-switching-issue.1628810/

Also bear in mind that while Snapshots allow you to control 64 Parameters including Bypass/Enable state of any Block, as well as the parameter values of the various Blocks in your Signal Chain, Snapshots do not support reordering of Blocks in the Signal Path nor swapping different Amps, Cabs, or other Blocks into nor out of the Signal Chain. For these tasks, you would need to create different Presets. Switching between Presets does impose a brief momentary audio interruption as the new Blocks and their Parameters load, and doing so kills any Reverb or Delay FX tails of the prior Preset. Nonetheless, it may be suitable for your needs.