Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

SAVE-AS Preset?

johoffry

What am I missing here? I make a few tweaks to a preset and want to save it somewhere else from the editor so I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL. If I press 'save' it overwrites. Is there a 'Save-as' equivalent for saving a preset (from the editor)?

I "saved" my favorite Marshall patch to another location on the same setlist to try a few tweaks. After trying and saving them, I went back to my original and the tweaks were on the original patch as well. Lucky for me I was able to remember what I had changed so I didn't learn the hard way.

I "saved" my favorite Marshall patch to another location on the same setlist to try a few tweaks. After trying and saving them, I went back to my original and the tweaks were on the original patch as well. Lucky for me I was able to remember what I had changed so I didn't learn the hard way.

What probably happened here is when you copy a preset to a new location the Helix does not automatically jump to that location. It stays on whatever preset you were already on, usually the original preset you are copying from. When you were editing what you thought was your new preset you were actually editing your original preset. You need to double click on the target preset slot you copied to after you do a copy to actually edit the copy rather than the original. I have been caught by this behavior a couple of times myself.

When you want to make a copy of a preset in the editor, CTRL+drag the preset to a different location rather than SAVE it.

You can also right click on a preset, hit "Copy" and then click on the new slot you want to copy to, right click and hit "Paste".  This will also work with multiple presets if you highlight them together. Just be careful because it will paste over successive presets starting at the first slot you choose for the paste operation.

press save once, on the Helix screen lower right you can dial a new location. Then press save again.

i have not tested of it changes both or just saves at the new location without affecting the original

Yeah - it's super easy on the actual Helix itself :)

On the actual Helix hardware itself the "Save As" is by turning the knobs for setlist and location as noted by previous posters. When you do this it does not affect the "source" location and only saves changes to the new location. When done on the hardware it should auto-switch to the newly saved location.

In the editor on your computer you can copy/paste presets in the conventional way by right-click or shortcut keys. However, doing this in the editor does not change the current selected patch. It also takes some planning as I don't think copy/paste if you already edited the patch (but didn't save yet) will copy the unsaved changes. It probably copies only the originally saved settings. I'm not in front of Helix right now but definitely try it out when you get the chance.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It is a "save as" button, it just doesn't say that on the button. You click save once and it brings up choices above each dial below the screen. You choose the location, and you also change the name on that same screen. You are "saving as" in a different location with a new name you dial in. 

• Upvote 1

It is a "save as" button, it just doesn't say that on the button. You click save once and it brings up choices above each dial below the screen. You choose the location, and you also change the name on that same screen. You are "saving as" in a different location with a new name you dial in. 

In the editor, like other computer stuff works?