Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing parameters of amps in snapshots?

uelef

Snapshots are a great feature of the new Helix 2.0 firmware, but there are a few things where in my opinion Line 6 has to improve the workflow. Or maybe I'm too stupid to see, how it works.

1st question:

Can I chance the parameters of the same amp between snapshots? I would like to have the amp e. g. with more gain in snapshot 1 and not so less gain in snapshot 2. (I know that I can integrate two amps - assumed Helix got enough resources - and choose only one per snaphot.)

2nd question:

Is it possible to have a combination of stomp and snapshot footswitch mode? I would like to assign e. g. three controllers for snapshots and the rest for changing stomp effects …

Best regards,

Ulf

Yes, you can do what you want adjusting any parameter per snapshot.  Drive is a really common one.  

Page 33 of the Helix 2.0 manual for details - or just look at the various YouTube videos.

You can also set one row of stomp buttons for snapshots and one for stomp mode - but then you can't navigate the patches as well I think - up to you.  I'm using Snapshots on the bottom row and patches on the top.  I like that and it has the added advantage that when I miss the second button on the bottom and hit the bank down instead (which I do all to regularly - would love wider spaced buttons) - you still see all your snapshots and you can just have another go at hitting the right one!  I used to get into trouble with that on the old setup - I'd need to reselect my patch and then my preset.  So It's win win as far as that goes!

1) Yes. You need to assign the desired amp parameter (e.g. Drive) to the Snapshots controller. You do this just like you would assign it to an expression pedal, in the Assign Controllers page. Then you can define a different setting for the Drive in each snapshot.

2) There's a global setting that will allow the display to show 4 stomps in one row and 4 snapshots in the other row.

• Like 1

Just push-turn the knob of the parameter you want to adjust. It will get brackets around it and then just turn the knob to change the parameter value in each snapshot.

Right. Quicker and easier than my suggestion of using the Assign Controllers page.

Actually, if there are only two states to the amp you need, you can do this without even using a snapshot if you want. Just assign the parameters you want to change (up to 8 I believe) to a footswitch or an EXP. I've been doing this forever.

Of course, you can do it with snapshots, now, too. And yes, you could conceivably have 8 totally different amp settings on 8 different snapshots in one patch.

Either way is good depending on what you want to do.

I'm using Snapshots on the bottom row and patches on the top.  I like that and it has the added advantage that when I miss the second button on the bottom and hit the bank down instead (which I do all to regularly - would love wider spaced buttons) - you still see all your snapshots and you can just have another go at hitting the right one!  I used to get into trouble with that on the old setup - I'd need to reselect my patch and then my preset.  So It's win win as far as that goes!

Ahh that's great! I quite often hit that bottom left bank down button when I'm singing / playing and trying to hit the button for solo - good that now the snapshots will stay there!  I just used to use 10 stomps before to remove the bank button.  Can't do that now and still use snapshots.

Saying that - I do wish it was possible to customise the stomp mode so that snapshots could be freely assigned to foot switches.  When I'm singing I really need them to be on the bottom row.. and sometimes I need momentary stomps for very quick on/off passages.  I need both stomps and snaps to be available on the bottom row in an ideal world.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I have to explain, how I tried to change parameters for different snapshots. I was using the Helix app (on a Mac) and

choosed snapshot 2. Here I changed gain and volume inside the amp settings – but after doing that the changes were also present in snapshot 1. I was expecting that the app would differentiate between two snapshots. But it did not work.

Maybe I have to explain, how I tried to change parameters for different snapshots. I was using the Helix app (on a Mac) and

choosed snapshot 2. Here I changed gain and volume inside the amp settings – but after doing that the changes were also present in snapshot 1. I was expecting that the app would differentiate between two snapshots. But it did not work.

You have to assign the parameters you want to change per snapshot to a controller. It can actually be any controller, but if you just want them to change with snapshots, you can just select the snapshot controller. In the editor, you have to go to the Controllers tab when you have the amp block selected, select the parameter you want to control, and then select the controller. When you go back to the Home tab, you see brackets around the value for this parameter.

On the unit itself, all you have to do to assign a parameter to a snapshot controller is press and turn the knob for that parameter.

I was doing the same thing with mixed results. If it was just shutting an effect off in one snapshot and on in another, it seemed to work. But changing parameters was happening in both snapshots. Doing it on the floor unit is the way to go.

You have to assign the parameters you want to change per snapshot to a controller. It can actually be any controller, but if you just want them to change with snapshots, you can just select the snapshot controller. In the editor, you have to go to the Controllers tab when you have the amp block selected, select the parameter you want to control, and then select the controller. When you go back to the Home tab, you see brackets around the value for this parameter.

On the unit itself, all you have to do to assign a parameter to a snapshot controller is press and turn the knob for that parameter.

Btw, I would love to see a keyboard or editor shortcut for assigning a parameter to the snapshots in the editor.

• 5 months later...

1) Yes. You need to assign the desired amp parameter (e.g. Drive) to the Snapshots controller. You do this just like you would assign it to an expression pedal, in the Assign Controllers page. Then you can define a different setting for the Drive in each snapshot.

2) There's a global setting that will allow the display to show 4 stomps in one row and 4 snapshots in the other row.

Just wondering...Can you change amps on a snapshot basis? Could you conceivably have 8 different amps for a single preset?

Just wondering...Can you change amps on a snapshot basis? Could you conceivably have 8 different amps for a single preset?

No, you can't change amp models (or any models of block) with snapshots. It would kind of defeat the purpose of snapshots to a degree since changing the model would mean unloading the old amp and reloading the new one, thus causing an audible gap. Also, each amp model uses a different amount of DSP, so there's a good chance that not all amp models would work in a given preset.

The Fractal AX8 has X/Y states for its blocks, which is kind of what you're talking about, although, each block can only call up of one of two things. You'll see though, that when people change out amps, it does cause an audible gap.

You can change amps if you define more than one amp in the preset. Different snapshots could set different Bypass (on/off) states for each amp. But as phil_m points out amps are DSP hogs and you will fairly quickly run out of DSP in the preset as you add more amps. Realistically two amps+cabs is probably all you'll get without sacrificing some FX blocks that you'd also like to use.

Btw, I would love to see a keyboard or editor shortcut for assigning a parameter to the snapshots in the editor.

Forget to check this thread, but we added three new keyboard shortcuts back in 2.10:

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller

- Unassign Controller Shortcut—SHIFT-OPTION-click (Mac) or SHIFT-ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to instantly remove any controller assignment

- Exit Fullscreen Mode Shortcut—Press ESC to exit fullscreen mode

Forget to check this thread, but we added three new keyboard shortcuts back in 2.10:

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller

- Unassign Controller Shortcut—SHIFT-OPTION-click (Mac) or SHIFT-ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to instantly remove any controller assignment

I know i found this by accident. It IS nice to just alt click a parameter and assign the changes. Do you have a link to all the keyboard shortcuts?

• Thanks 1

I know i found this by accident. It IS nice to just alt click a parameter and assign the changes. Do you have a link to all the keyboard shortcuts?

1. Open the Helix application. You don't even need Helix connected.
  2. From the Help menu, select "Helix Application Pilot's Guide." The keyboard shortcut list starts on page 16.
  • Upvote 1

I see a post from you in this thread - post#13. Note that mkornell may have deleted his post, or quoted from this thread and posted in another.

Yup, I deleted mine. I posted an answer at the same time phil_m did, and his was a way better explanation. No need to let my drivel confuse things. :-)

Thanks once again for putting these into a firmware release. The shortcuts are incredibly helpful and actually encourage greater and more complex use of snapshots for those who are inclined to design presets with the Editor. I use them all the time!  I have done my best to help publicize them in more recent posts as they did not exist as of when I made this earlier post back in July. They allow me to quickly assign a large number of parameters to snapshots which I now do with most every preset I design. Glad to see this loose end get tied up for anyone who was unaware that these keyboard shortcuts exist.