Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 procedures when not being used

adiaz7531

Hello I'd like to know what's the correct procedure for the G10 system when not being used. By this I mean do you keep the base/dock connected to power since it doesn't have an on/off switch to keep the transmitter fully charged or is it safer to unplug it, which seems like a pain?

I currently have the unit connected to a power strip which I just power off. I noticed the LED on the transmitter remains flashing even when the base receiver is unplugged/off.

I wouldn't think leaving the dock always powered on would be good for the receiver over all.

Can someone from Line 6 please chime in on this? Thanks!!

Once the transmitter is fully charged it stops charging, keeping it plugged in when not using between sets is fine. No damage will occur. If you leave the transmitter docked in in an unpowered receiver it will eventually run the transmitters battery down.

Thanks! Mine resides in a studio environment. It would be great if it could be left plugged in when not being used. I see the transmitter will go into "sleep" mode but the receiver does not.

Is there any way thru a firmware update that the receiver can go into sleep mode when the transmitter is docked and fully charged?

I discovered a quirk with the firmware!

The Transmitter conveniently goes into power saving standby mode after 4 minutes of inactivity (no audio) while plugged into an instrument. However, the firmware neither responded the same when left plugged in the base and the power was turned off, nor, was the firmware consistent!

In one case, the Transmitter did shut off in about 20 mins. In another case, it began blinking green at the power off plus 20 minute point, and kept blinking green for another 45 minutes! At this point I unplugged, then reinserted the Transmitter to trigger the 4 minute shut down mode.

When plugged into the energized base unit, the Transmitter always begins recharging. Line 6 should update the firmware.

The User Guide mentions the USB can be used for updating.

Adiaz7531,

Yes. At least we're each finding the same firmware behavior. This should be an easy corrective patch. The power off workaround - for the time being - of removing, then, reinserting the Transmitter bug into the base, isn't too horribly inconvenient. However, for those who don't know about it, the inconsistent behavior can be disconcerting.

I find that if I leave my transmitters plugged into the guitars they no longer go into SLEEP mode, they remain active. The first time I used them they did go into sleep mode. Not a big deal, I just remove them and plug back into the base to keep them topped up.

Lee7uk, do your guitars have high gain or active pickups? If so they may be picking up and emitting any signal. Also possible is that the guitar, may be passively resonating from a nearby speaker or sound source. These could prevent the G10T from going in the 4 minute signal power save mode. Finally, have you tried turning your guitar's volume pots all the way down?

I have one plugged into my Rickenbacker 4003 bass and the other into my Rickenbacker 360/12. I think the latter has high gain pick ups.

I tried the volume trick at the weekend, but didn't work. Upon saying that, I only trned down the volume of the pickup that was selected via the switch, I will try turning both volume controls down this coming weekend and seeing what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Adiaz7531,

Get a Support Ticket going with Line 6!

I have one open as a result of my phoning support to inquire if the recent August 16 firmware 1.03 fixed the issues you, me and others are seeing. Line 6's response, was the release only “{F}ixes an issue on some transmitters that did not indicate solid green when fully charged in the receiver dock.â€

They claim they were not aware of the erratic symptoms you, me and others are finding. I have a buddy in Florida who just bought a G10 from Sweetwater (later s/n than my G10) and he's getting the same erratic LED symptoms after system power off following full charge/steady Green.

I'll be attending Line 6's Open House Event this week, and hope to get a more informed response then.

Adiaz7531,

My understanding is that the Line 6 Updater program is what must be used to handle updating the firmware. Have you installed the latest Mac version of Line 6 Updater and tried using it to install the updated firmware to your G10?

• 4 months later...

I just picked up two G10 units and I am ready to bring them back. They stopped going into the poster save mode so I discovered there was a firmware update. I updated the firmware (i got the updater for my mac) and they went into the power save mode but only once… each subsequent time on both units that i left them for more than half an hour, they did not go into the power save mode… I have updated the firmware several times to get them back to the spec but now they simply refuse to sleep… I like the units and I am open to suggestion because if they will not operate properly I will return them.