Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD Bean- Desktop Questions (FX Loop, Amps, Gigging)

Silencer23

Hi there !
I am interested right now in replacing my pedalboard with an effects box.

1. It will have to be great at high gain sounds that are somewhat clean and clear. Marshall ? Old fender. 

2. It will need to hook up to random amps that don't sound just right, and make them better for me during live situations. 

3. It will need to have a great spring reverb and tape delay.

4. I want to be able to hook a guitar cable to it, and sometimes bypass an amp and go straight to PA or home monitors. 

Now I hear the POD Desktop HD is a good option for me, but searching this forum, I see people mention it does not have an FX Loop. 

Does that mean that I can't select if I want the Delay after the distortion or arrange the analog order of effects ? Isn't that a deal breaker for practically anyone, or what am I missing here ?

Also, does the POD HD have good clean distortions, those clear ones, not metal, not straight Rock, but more of that Vai, Satriani clear sound, where you can still here each note with ease, even though it's boosted as hell.

Please if  you can, confirm that the POD HD desktop answers points 1-4 mentioned above without need for additional gear ?

Thanks for any help ! 

1) Yes it has great high gain sounds.  Don't expect it to sound great with out doing some work building a preset.

2) Yes but again don't expect it to sound great without some tweaking on your presets.  I don't know of ANYTHING that can hook into random amps that don't sound right and make them great.

3) I'm very happy with the reverb and tape delay.  It has a lot of options in this category.

4) It works very well into a guitar amp or straight into a P.A. but again you can't use the same presets.  It has to be tweaked for each type of situation.

It doesn't have an FX loop but there are ways to make it work like it does by returning it into itself through Input 2.

It can do all these things but I want to stress that you are putting it into multiple different situations that will alter the sound a lot.  A guitar amp/cab is a lot different than a P.A. system.  The same presets on ANYTHING will sound different.  I use my PODHD Desktop into the FX return of a Marshall head and cab.  But if I try to use the same preset into a P.A. it's totally wrong.  But I was able to spend a few hours and build a different preset for P.A. systems that sounded very close.

I don't have any other gear, only the PODHD.  No more pedals... but I still like to use my tube amps.  I will be switching to a powered P.A. speaker at some point and going direct to the P.A. system for FOH.

I would leave the 1101 out for now due to its IR loading. I have a rp1000 and a G5 and to my ears the HD is as high-gain worthy as any.

Its tough to compare them sometimes as each one can due some things the others can't and ears vary per person.