Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bypassing the pre-amp of the combo ?

Metalal5150

Hi Guys! 

It's been a while since i was using the boards like HD500x or others (my last one was RP20  and RP21) and i use to use it with AVT 150 full stack . 

Please can anyone remind me where i should plug the HD500X in the amp to bypass the amps pre-amp ? 

Was it RETURN In at the back of the amp ?  ? Really a silly question but i really don't remember which one it was .  Sorry 

Cheers and 

RESPECT!! 

Got it!

Thanks AlexKenivel!! :lol:

Suppose my amp is knackered.......

Return doesn't work. Will take it apart tomorrow and see what's wrong with it ... oh well :)

Cheers!

RESPECT!

Check your various levels before you pull out the screwdriver and the blowtorch...I suppose the return jack could be dead, but that really doesn't happen all that often, unless the amp is ancient, and "ridden hard and put away wet". ;)

Thanks cruisinon2 and Alex..

Well it's a 3 yo combo with new set of valves and works like a charm when plugged into front!!!!!

i was actually really happy with the dist/overd it was producing from lead chan.

but when i went to RETURN to bypass the pre amp it was just .....................................................................lollipop all........ 

So . . . . it's in bits now but no luck so far ..... 

Respect 

There is a filter when the posts are rendered that replaces "naughty words" with lollipop. I know that what you post is saved as you wrote it because I have seen the original text when there were some technical problems with the site.

Some of use older users are so used to it that we actually type lollipop when posting - or at least I do.

I would check that you have output using that cable by plugging it into something that is known to be good; if you have sound then check to see if there is a return level control or effect loop mix control that is killing the sound - just checked a photo and there is FX Loop Mix on the front panel: that has to be set to 100%.

If you have no sound then check the cable and volume settings on the HD500

I'm not sure but it seems to me sometimes an amp has to have something plugged in in front of it for the return to work the way you want. This is assuming you're going GUITAR-HD500-AMP FX RETURN. Plug some kind of dummy plug into the input and then try it. Just a thought, Not sure about this at all. Along the same lines, maybe it's because nothing is plugged into the FX sends.

I'm not sure but it seems to me sometimes an amp has to have something plugged in in front of it for the return to work the way you want. This is assuming you're going GUITAR-HD500-AMP FX RETURN. Plug some kind of dummy plug into the input and then try it. Just a thought, Not sure about this at all. Along the same lines, maybe it's because nothing is plugged into the FX sends.

Nah, that shouldn't matter. I've had several combos over the years, ran the old kidney bean POD into the return on all of 'em without a problem. Anything you plug into front end without pumping a signal through will essentially be an antenna anyway...things will get noisy.

Nah, that shouldn't matter. I've had several combos over the years, ran the old kidney bean POD into the return on all of 'em without a problem. Anything you plug into front end without pumping a signal through will essentially be an antenna anyway...things will get noisy.

I may be thinking of my Vetta. It did have that issue. Had to have something plugged into the input to use the FX return. Oh well.

Yeah my Tech 21 TM60 needs a dummy jack/ TM 10 too and the Flextone III (IIRC).

Everything else normally get pumped through the lollipopers fx in and the lollipoper takes it (Crate/Marshall/Peavey.....).  ;) 

I may be thinking of my Vetta. It did have that issue. Had to have something plugged into the input to use the FX return. Oh well.

Fair enough...lord knows I haven't seen them all. I do wonder why they'd bother designing it that way, though. Just another hoop to jump through...

Right ! 

Thanks a bunch guys all taken into consideration!

I have found the circuit board has a little damage like one of the printed conductive "ways or runs" if you like ,actually come off the board and its no longer attached to the circuit board. I have seen this sort of damage before and its normally caused by overheating ,and overheating normally happens when there is a short circuit somewhere along the line . also after a close inspection a have found a melted Return Jack input which probably was causing the short circuit .

Now i will have to order a new jack to replace the lollipopped one :)  and bridge the path to the nearest safe point and see if i can have my Return loop returned!!!  :)

Respect  !!!

• Upvote 1

Right ! 

Thanks a bunch guys all taken into consideration!

I have found the circuit board has a little damage like one of the printed conductive "ways or runs" if you like ,actually come off the board and its no longer attached to the circuit board. I have seen this sort of damage before and its normally caused by overheating ,and overheating normally happens when there is a short circuit somewhere along the line . also after a close inspection a have found a melted Return Jack input which probably was causing the short circuit .

Now i will have to order a new jack to replace the lollipopped one :)  and bridge the path to the nearest safe point and see if i can have my Return loop returned!!!   :)

Respect  !!!

Your post sounds like you know what your lollipopin' doing. Kudos to you. Best wishes on replacing the lollipoped up components.

Respect !!!