Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'd like to have the ability to load my own Impulse Response files

I love my jtv59 and dt50 and I'm generally satisfied with the modeling of both pieces of gear. I would like to have some more freedom at creating sounds. Being able to load my own Impulse Response files and such would open a lot of possibilities.

It's impossible with the current hardware and software.

hardware- not enough memory. Think of the patches, they're just a bunch of variables, so it's just a list of numbers, so that file size is going to be pretty small.

An impulse response caries a lot more data than that.

Think of some of the cuts they had to make to the features of the guitar to make room for the HD modeling. You can't even factory reset the guitar anymore by itself.

software- I'm pretty sure what you're asking for would require a complete rewrite of the guitar. While it's not a bad idea for creativity, it's not a good idea for line 6, because there's not really an audience they can really spawn out of "Oh hey you can make your own weird tone out of an IR" No one really has any technology where they can make an exact tone out of an IR and apply it to the piezos knowing what'll come out, and so it would be trial and error.

Line 6 would ultimately need to develop a way to even build the IRs in reference to the guitar and what tone you're aiming for, which sounds like complicated technology, otherwise, like I said, we're back to not having a real audience for this thing.

I love my jtv59 and dt50 and I'm generally satisfied with the modeling of both pieces of gear. I would like to have some more freedom at creating sounds. Being able to load my own Impulse Response files and such would open a lot of possibilities.

Well...

May I ask you politely, if you already checked out all the possibilies creating your own models via Workbench HD?

http://line6.com/data/6/0a064389225954c6bd9c6c390/application/pdf/Workbench%20HD%20Pilot's%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XkVEDmU_S0

Actually, Workbench is the best way to go around making an "IR" or at least the convolution to how you want the guitar to sound.

Like I said, how in the world would you approach applying an IR to the piezos and knowing what to get or how to get it?

Sounds like trial and error, and I don't think that would be very productive for Line 6. Again, not enough memory to add something like this.

You can currently load an IR into the Helix and change the way your guitar sounds. Google Peter Thorn and sift through his Wednesday "blogs" (recent) and you'll find one where he's loaded a (free) IR into the Helix, plugged his Takamine piezo-equipped guitar into the Helix and had it sound completely different on the other end. I think the IR might have been of an expensive Taylor, miked in a room. And the sound that came out was exactly that, rather than the sound of a Takamine with your basic piezo setup. Had my head spinning...

When I think of IR I think of being able to customize cabinets and mics in the POD, not the variax guitar.  The 500 series doesn't allow that. Does Helix?

Yes.

You can't use IRs to customize cabinets and mikes in the POD ("mikes" is how I learned it, and it's just as valid as "mics", so there). There's no place for them. You can only use IRs if you've got something else to load IRs into (like the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B.) separate from the Pod. IRs are native to the Helix, however, and this is a major advance and one that puts the Helix up there with the Kempers and Axe-FX II's, etc. 

And yes, you can use an IR to change the sound of a guitar. But it's not JUST the Variax guitar. Essentially any guitar. 

Pull up Pete Thorn's Wednesday Q&A #20 from YouTube and check at about 4:37. Oh, wait, found it.