Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

All That Worry for Nothing...2.01 Upgrade

DunedinDragon

Well...after listening to all the problems and issues, I decided to go ahead and take the leap to 2.01 and everything went smooth as silk.  Of course I'll need to work with it throughout the week to make sure nothing else crops up, but it was a nice smooth upgrade.

However, in going through the process I have a couple of recommendations for the next time an upgrade comes out for the Line 6 folks:

As I went through the process I could see where people could end up getting confused.  The way the instructions are written it just makes a vague reference to where you go to download the software.  Once you get to that page it's not really clear what to do.  You can pull up the update instructions, but unless you page down you won't see the download button.  You might want to re-think that page to make it more obvious.

Once it's downloaded it doesn't autorun, so it's easy for someone to think it didn't download correctly.  Certainly a screenshot and explanations might help here.  The instructions reference using the line 6 updater to upgrade the firmware.  However, you don't really have to run the updater software because once it runs a secondary popup window shows up and asks you if you which firmware you want to install, and it runs the updater.

These weren't any problem for me because I could kind of reason out what's happening, but someone that's not that familiar with computers could easily get confused.  My advice, if you're going to continue doing upgrades in this fashion rather than a fully automated update program, is to do what most software installation instructions do and use step by step instructions along with screenshots with maybe some overlayed highlights on those screenshots and additional instructions to reduce the confusion.  Take the user step-by-step through exactly what they are going to see and what they will need to do.  Even a shot of the Helix showing which footswitches to press to rebuild would reduce the possibilities of error.  I'm not sure if any of these issues were the cause of some of the problems, but it would certainly help reduce confusion and the possibility of errors.

It seems like a small investment in time to do this might reduce all the anxiety for the users as well as the L6 people trying to figure out what the user did during the upgrade.

• Upvote 1

thanx for your valuable advices!

it seems there's something with the digital process and USB relationship that's NOT working; windows versions are a total mess and those USB units are not working with some USB 3.o or something like that

it's a hardware defect

but indeed it's also the procedure that's not precisely clear for those folks not familiar with computers n' stuff

I've been thinking these days and reading carefuly this forum several times before I decide to upgrade my unit from 2.0 to 2.01

Since each unit seems to have its own issues I will wait until all those bugs even from 2.01 version are fixed. <--- this may be my "advice"

I have never had an issue with an upgrade and I have done all of them although I have had some questions along the way. I agree that the process should be more bullet-proof if possible. Ideally this is the way I see an update working although I personally prefer Line6 keeps working on new effects and features as it is support staff who deals with failed upgrade issues and I would prefer the developers don't get sidetracked on the perfect upgrade scenario. However, for those who have suffered through the upgrade process or panicked at a temporarily locked up Helix I feel their pain.

Ideal but probably developer time intensive upgrade process:

1. Running the Updater automatically first backs up all global settings (text document for reference only as available global settings may change in the new firmware version), a bundle, all setlists, and all presets individually as well as IRs and then verifies them. "Successful backup"!
  2. The updater would then go out and automatically look for the latest version of the "Helix" application unless instructed specifically to look for an older version (in case you need to roll back). It would then download the latest or designated older version of the "Helix" app and install it which would put the latest or appropriate version of the Updater, Editor, and drivers on your PC.
  3. Running the Updater would give you a choice of only one version of the firmware, the one that matched the version of the Updater, Editor, and drivers it just downloaded (remember, even if you are rolling back to an earlier version of the firmware step number two has already installed the software matching that version of the firmware).
  4. The Updater updates Helix to the latest version of the firmware, runs any necessary global resets and restarts and finally prompts the user to restore their presets, IRs, and global settings or better yet gives them a choice of doing it automatically. The former global settings could be referred to in the text document created in step #1 and if they ever cease to change between firmware versions global settings could be backed up and restored automatically.
  • Upvote 2

+1. - very elegant approach, good sir!

I have never had an issue with an upgrade and I have done all of them although I have had some questions along the way. I agree that the process should be more bullet-proof if possible. Ideally this is the way I see an update working although I personally prefer Line6 keeps working on new effects and features as it is support staff who deals with failed upgrade issues and I would prefer the developers don't get sidetracked on the perfect upgrade scenario. However, for those who have suffered through the upgrade process or panicked at a temporarily locked up Helix I feel their pain.

Ideal but probably developer time intensive upgrade process:

• Running the Updater automatically first backs up all global settings (text document for reference only as available global settings may change in the new firmware version), a bundle, all setlists, and all presets individually as well as IRs and then verifies them. "Successful backup"!
  • The updater would then go out and automatically look for the latest version of the "Helix" application unless instructed specifically to look for an older version (in case you need to roll back). It would then download the latest or designated older version of the "Helix" app and install it which would put the latest or appropriate version of the Updater, Editor, and drivers on your PC.
  • Running the Updater would give you a choice of only one version of the firmware, the one that matched the version of the Updater, Editor, and drivers it just downloaded (remember, even if you are rolling back to an earlier version of the firmware step number two has already installed the software matching that version of the firmware).
  • The Updater updates Helix to the latest version of the software, runs any necessary global resets and restarts and finally prompts the user to restore their presets, IRs, and global settings or better yet gives them a choice of doing it automatically. The former global settings could be referred to in the text document created in step #1 and if they ever cease to change between firmware versions global settings could be backed up and restored automatically.

It would be pretty hard to not dig into development resources to develop a more streamlined installation system.  Typically support and development are two different skill sets.  Support could provide great insight into features for such a system, but it will still take hands in the code and knowledge of where things are in the code to make it all happen.

However, if this 2.0 and 2.01 thing taught us anything, it's that a better update process would be of great value not only to users but to L6.  Avoid some brushfires like we had this last time.

All the above is what I've been saying for a while.  People, including me are a little nervous to update due to the possibility of bugs.

There is no fall back position - at least not in Australia - if I brick my Helix, I'll wait potentially months for a replacement.

I'm always cautious to update my Macs - I wait till there has been a month or so of stability before updating.  Because things do go wrong!

Incidentally - I'm a long way from being computer illiterate - but I've also been through plenty of computer pain like everyone who's used any cutting technology.  This stuff is keeping 3/4 of the guitar players sticking to their amps and pedals. They don't feel like they can trust the technology, and they got a point.  90% of things that could go wrong with my old rig I could fix on the spot - even if it meant dropping a pedal or changing a valve - no big deal. So you are asking people to pay a lot of money and take a huge jump of faith.  Maybe a lot of you are happy to keep it that way. Line 6 should not be.  They need to solve the reliability concern as much as they possibly can.

A lot of this nervousness is a result of people having problems that would not happen if there was a decent installer.  I can't necessarily tell if it's user error or a potential bug.  My experience so far has not been trouble free - and that is not a result of not following the instructions carefully.  That there is no system way to backup and restore IRs for example - was a learning experience.  That Impedance was not correctly saved was another example.

So - 

Firstly, it is not programming for anyone to write good clean instructions.  It's an hour's extra work - maybe 2. Just get a pleb to test it and watch what they do - you'll soon know if it needs more work.

Secondly, maybe 15 mins work to put all the relevant software (updater/firmware/editor) together in the one place and preferably one Zip file.  With a really obvious link on the page you get to if you google Helix update.

Next are checking routines - a bit of code that looks at your system to make sure a particular bit of software exists before doing a particular action.  This is not something anyone needs to write - it exists - they just copy and paste and edit to look for the correct updater/firmware/editor.

These are not huge programming problems - let's not make excuses for them not existing.

A full installer program - maybe that can wait - but not too long - there's probably Helix II in a year or 2.

It would be pretty hard to not dig into development resources to develop a more streamlined installation system.  Typically support and development are two different skill sets.  Support could provide great insight into features for such a system, but it will still take hands in the code and knowledge of where things are in the code to make it all happen.

However, if this 2.0 and 2.01 thing taught us anything, it's that a better update process would be of great value not only to users but to L6.  Avoid some brushfires like we had this last time.

Agree with all of this including the fact that it is the developers who would be working on modifying the upgrade procedure, not the support staff. I probably was not clear enough in my post but that was my point, that improving the upgrade process would eat up developer cycles, not support staff cycles, and it is the support staff that is currently working with failed upgrade issues although they probably reach out to developers now & then.

Firstly, it is not programming for anyone to write good clean instructions.  It's an hour's extra work - maybe 2. Just get a pleb to test it and watch what they do - you'll soon know if it needs more work.

Just curious about this statement... Do you think the instructions listed here are unclear in any way? http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-201/

Reading through them, I'm not sure how they could be more clear... Not picking on you or anything. It's just that I've heard several people make this claim, and I just can't understand why they think the instructions aren't clear.

I think the biggest issue is not downloading the current Helix app everytime and install grit first to make sure everything is up to,date. I find the instructions very clear. Why not use the Updater to download the update file. I would understand in the very rare case where someone's internet connection is so unstable they are concerned about a failure but from what I have seen the Updater will not start the actual update process until it gets a good complete download. This also prevents getting the wrong update file.

Agree with all of this including the fact that it is the developers who would be working on modifying the upgrade procedure, not the support staff. I probably was not clear enough in my post but that was my point, that improving the upgrade process would eat up developer cycles, not support staff cycles, and it is the support staff that is currently working with failed upgrade issues although they probably reach out to developers now & then.

Yep, but this is one of those decisions that's a "pay me now, or pay me later" kind of deal.  Any updates to the firmware are going to be costlier than they should be until they hammer out a "idiot proof" update process....the problem is, there's just too many idiots....and they can be quite creative at messing things up when they put their minds to it.... :huh:

Yep, but this is one of those decisions that's a "pay me now, or pay me later" kind of deal.  Any updates to the firmware are going to be costlier than they should be until they hammer out a "idiot proof" update process....the problem is, there's just too many idiots....and they can be quite creative at messing things up when they put their minds to it.... :huh:

Maybe they will do it with growth rather than reallocation of resources. Hopefully the success of Helix might generate the revenues they need to hire a few more developers with installation utility expertise.

If not, I hope they wait until there are no other significant updates or new product development that they choose to interrupt or defer (like there's ever a good time for that!)

Just curious about this statement... Do you think the instructions listed here are unclear in any way? http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-201/

Reading through them, I'm not sure how they could be more clear... Not picking on you or anything. It's just that I've heard several people make this claim, and I just can't understand why they think the instructions aren't clear.

If you read my original post I made reference to certain specific things in those instructions that could be unclear.  Not because they were written unclearly, but they didn't take into account that many users have no idea what a "Line 6 Updater" is for example. Nor or they likely to know how to check version numbers on the Helix app or the Updater.  It's also not apparent that the Line 6 Updater is run automatically once the download is complete, so the possibility is someone may try to run the Updater separately. Also, the download web page itself is confusing and it's easy to get lost there trying to find the appropriate update as well as know what you need to do and what will happen when you do it.  All of this is in the original post I made.

I think a lot of these things could be fixed by just using screen shots and a little more clarity as far as what the user will see and do as they go through the process.

I didn't know that. I've had to run it manually.

It may be different on different platforms.  I know that on Windows 8 when I ran the download executable, it auto-launched the Updater at the end.  There may be some slight differences in Mac and maybe different versions of Windows

Didn't do that on Win10. IIRC it did, however, finish with a pop-up panel asking if I wanted to make the newly installed Helix app the default program to open Helix files. Perhaps this panel also had a check-box asking if you want to run Line 6 Updater now. If so I missed it.

Yes, they are both unclear and intimidating.  That's hard for you to understand I can see because you are comfortable with computers and understand the brain space.

I could rewrite the instructions with a good collection if images to help novices. But that's not my job,  Let me try to help you see it through other eyes - I can see others have already tried some of this since you sent you message.

Lets start at the top - trying to put ourselves in newbie brain space - 

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.01!

So I'm new to this stuff and boy am I intimidated - if I'm not real comfortable in computer based music, I'm already likely to be doubting should I attempt this update.

And why does this large red thing exist - because some programmer just can't believe anyone could be stupid enough to get it wrong in the past, but obviously lots have.  That person is the wrong person to write the instructions.

It shows a lack of respect for people not skilled with computers at an installation level (take my wife who is an accountant - can program smart stuff in Excel - she would just call IT the minute she got a message like that).

How do you know the version of the software you have?  I know - but lots of people don't!

The link - http://line6.com/software/ - It doesn't take me to the software!

It takes me to a page where I can then navigate to the software providing I know how to work the form - even I was dumbfounded by that!

Assuming I actually successfully navigate that (and there are a number of wrong turns there like selecting Line 6 Editor instead of Helix in the second tab - where you would get this response - 

At this time, there is no   software available that matches your selection)

So assuming I get that part right - When I get there I seem to be on a page that just repeats the same installation stuff - but at least the warning is smaller!

Hiding - yes, I would call it hiding - cause its far from the most obvious thing on the page and requires you to scroll down to even see it - is the get download button - anyone know anything about interface design? 

I am still personally peeved that there are no warnings about IRs in the information about backup - and the fact there is no management of IRs is a programming oversight  - but there should be screen grabs to help here so the newbie has a decent chance of doing this part right.

The foot switches to reset globals - again - an image - it's just another part of making it feel easy and not dangerous.

Then it should take the user through re installing their patches, setlists and IRs.

Again with some screen grabs.

I hope you can begin to see this through other eyes - I personally believe the Helix could be a turning point for a lot of players who are analogue through and through.

But if that is to be the case, then this stuff has to assume they have never done anything like this before.

That is also why Line 6 really needs to create a good looking, friendly utility that does all this for the user - then there is nothing scary about adopting the technology.

Looking around a forum like this at the moment will be putting a lot of them off.

When the installer starts with something like "Welcome to the Helix update utility - you will now be guided through the update process" you are starting to do it professionally.

• Upvote 1

First off, I'm a tech/developer so the instructions are crystal clear to me.  Even if I weren't they would be crystal clear to me.  But everyone doesn't necessarily think the same way so maybe they aren't clear to some.

Having said that, I'm simply amazed how many folks seem to have problems with the Helix updates.  I've tried to make this thing crash on a number of Windows boxes without any success, call me warped but it's a developer trait trying to make crap break.  I've used everything from an old POS $400 laptop up to a brand new high end machine, can't make any of the updates fail.  Old to brand new USB ports, various USB drivers, Windows 7 to Windows 10...and they all work without fail.  I can normally make just about anything break, but haven't been able to make the Helix updates do so, Yet :)  Here is what I've done each time:  Install/update to the latest Helix utility/updater, then run the updater and have it download and install the firmware patches....it's pretty much clicking a few buttons and it works.  If you haven't installed ALL available Windows updates, I'd recommend you do that first though.....people often ignore these then wonder why they have driver and/or other issues.  Another suggestion, if you have an anti-virus/malware utility running, and you should, turn it off before you do an update....don't forget to turn it back on after you do the update. 

Now, on the other side, Line 6 really needs to make some pretty simple/intuitive adjustments to their updater, they aren't blameless with some of this stuff and I can see where a lot of frustration from many comes from.  Why do all the existing patches on someone's Helix need to be nuked by an update, and even if they do, how bloody hard is it to write a simple global backup into the updater that fires first, apply the firmware update, then offer a full restore of the owner's backed up settings, IR's, user patches, etc....what, maybe a couple of days for one developer to code and test something like this?  Pretty basic development stuff here Line 6 and doing this would relieve a lot of the frustration your customers are experiencing.   Not crazy about the Helix utility in many ways, but have to say you all have built pretty solid updaters, however your backup and restore options could use some work. 

• Upvote 1

First off, I'm a tech/developer so the instructions are crystal clear to me.  Even if I weren't they would be crystal clear to me.  But everyone doesn't necessarily think the same way so maybe they aren't clear to some.

Yet :)  [...]have to say you all have built pretty solid updaters, however your backup and restore options could use some work. 

... pretty close to my opinion on that '101 updating discussion'...

Another thought: The more you 'automize', the more you lose control on certain processes.

I'm quite happy with the fact that I can decide where e.g. backups are saved.

To me

a) every application is suspicious that creates (backup /content) folders somewhere 'hidden' or fixed

(and I have to search for them endlessly)

b) every (flashing) software must have an option to run firmware updates  completely offline. This preserves stability while flashing (security software cab be deactivated then without hesitation).

So, for the moment I'm satisfied with the current  solution :)

If you're a tech/developer I'm not sure you could clear your mind of all you know in order to really appreciate how intimidating it can be for someone that is a novice.  It doesn't appear there were an overwhelming number of people that had problems with the upgrade, but there were enough that it gave me pause when I was considering whether or not to do it.  Not because I'm intimidated by the technology (I've been a commercial software developer since the '70's), but to be honest the software update process has long been a weak point at Line 6...somewhat fragmented and convoluted.  Starting back at Line 6 Monkey/License Manager days through the current model with the Updater it appears to be a lot of little pieces rather than a unified system and strategy.  The verbage (Line 6 Updater, Helix application/Helix Editor, Helix USB driver, Helix Floor/Rack, Helix Control )alone can be confusing when it's not clear what piece does what.

I'm sure there are a number of people that only know the unit they purchased (example Helix Floor) and this may be their very first experience with Line 6 products, modeling in general, and using a computer as part of playing guitar.  That's who you have to keep in mind when you write installation instructions.

Obviously now talking about install / update instructions:

That is clearly to keep apart from the software discussion, I suggest.

When talking about instructions we're having the full range of user opinions and statements

(from 'self-explanatory stuff!' up to 'what is an USB cable?').

I remember an early discussion about the necessity of even one manual (for the helix).

Guess now everybody is happy about having several resources (manuals for hard / software, Helixhelp, videos and, last but not least:

this forum ;) ) while the complexity of the Helix is still growing...

Keeping that in mind, it makes sense to provide several approaches and ways of help.

I don't believe that there is only one promising solution for that -

again: We're all different - thank goodness...

Yes, they are both unclear and intimidating.  That's hard for you to understand I can see because you are comfortable with computers and understand the brain space.

I could rewrite the instructions with a good collection if images to help novices. But that's not my job,  Let me try to help you see it through other eyes - I can see others have already tried some of this since you sent you message.

Lets start at the top - trying to put ourselves in newbie brain space - 

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.01!

So I'm new to this stuff and boy am I intimidated - if I'm not real comfortable in computer based music, I'm already likely to be doubting should I attempt this update.

And why does this large red thing exist - because some programmer just can't believe anyone could be stupid enough to get it wrong in the past, but obviously lots have.  That person is the wrong person to write the instructions.

It shows a lack of respect for people not skilled with computers at an installation level (take my wife who is an accountant - can program smart stuff in Excel - she would just call IT the minute she got a message like that).

How do you know the version of the software you have?  I know - but lots of people don't!

The link - http://line6.com/software/ - It doesn't take me to the software!

It takes me to a page where I can then navigate to the software providing I know how to work the form - even I was dumbfounded by that!

Assuming I actually successfully navigate that (and there are a number of wrong turns there like selecting Line 6 Editor instead of Helix in the second tab - where you would get this response - 

At this time, there is no   software available that matches your selection)

So assuming I get that part right - When I get there I seem to be on a page that just repeats the same installation stuff - but at least the warning is smaller!

Hiding - yes, I would call it hiding - cause its far from the most obvious thing on the page and requires you to scroll down to even see it - is the get download button - anyone know anything about interface design? 

I am still personally peeved that there are no warnings about IRs in the information about backup - and the fact there is no management of IRs is a programming oversight  - but there should be screen grabs to help here so the newbie has a decent chance of doing this part right.

The foot switches to reset globals - again - an image - it's just another part of making it feel easy and not dangerous.

Then it should take the user through re installing their patches, setlists and IRs.

Again with some screen grabs.

I hope you can begin to see this through other eyes - I personally believe the Helix could be a turning point for a lot of players who are analogue through and through.

But if that is to be the case, then this stuff has to assume they have never done anything like this before.

That is also why Line 6 really needs to create a good looking, friendly utility that does all this for the user - then there is nothing scary about adopting the technology.

Looking around a forum like this at the moment will be putting a lot of them off.

When the installer starts with something like "Welcome to the Helix update utility - you will now be guided through the update process" you are starting to do it professionally.

I will grant that there are several spots where people can get tripped up if they're not careful, but I guess the issue is that the Helix is only one of the dozens of products Line 6 is currently supporting, so I think it's challenging to create download sections that are streamlined yet still present all the possible downloads for every OS someone might be using. The Line 6 Updater utility, for instance, isn't just used for Helix. It's used for Firehawk, Amplifi, and I believe the Relay wireless line at the moment. It is basically Monkey 2.0. So I think they're probably trying to avoid having to write a separate utility for each piece of gear they have.

I guess it's interesting to speculate about how tech savvy the average Helix user is. I'm sure there are some relatively inexperienced users out there. I think Line 6's assumption going in was that Helix was going to appeal to a more experienced, although, they have done a good job of designing the interface for people who have avoided multi-fx. It's a hard line to walk, I think, and design in this sort of thing is just hard. It's difficult to balance complexity and simplicity. I run into in my line of work all the time when I design control systems for buildings. Everyone wants things like lighting controls to be bonehead simple, but because of all sorts of mitigating factors, it's really hard to design a system that does everything you want and still makes sense to someone walking into a new room for the first time.

I think one danger with making instructions too long and detailed, with screenshots and all that, is that it can actually lead to people ignoring them because users who are familiar with this sort of stuff will tend to ignore those sorts of things and simply assume they know what they process is. I think that's the reason for the red letter warnings in the first place. I think there were a lot of people who assumed they knew the process, but ended up skipping the final step. I know that DI, the product manager, has said they're considering just making that automatic, and that's probably not a bad idea.

A picture's worth a thousand words.  A video's worth even more.

I found this video helpful.  Not that Line 6's instructions were unclear but the video gave me more confidence:

If Line 6 made how-to-install videos available, that might alleviate some confusion, particularly for non-English speakers.

If you're a tech/developer I'm not sure you could clear your mind of all you know in order to really appreciate how intimidating it can be for someone that is a novice.  It doesn't appear there were an overwhelming number of people that had problems with the upgrade, but there were enough that it gave me pause when I was considering whether or not to do it.  Not because I'm intimidated by the technology (I've been a commercial software developer since the '70's), but to be honest the software update process has long been a weak point at Line 6...somewhat fragmented and convoluted.  Starting back at Line 6 Monkey/License Manager days through the current model with the Updater it appears to be a lot of little pieces rather than a unified system and strategy.  The verbage (Line 6 Updater, Helix application/Helix Editor, Helix USB driver, Helix Floor/Rack, Helix Control )alone can be confusing when it's not clear what piece does what.

I'm sure there are a number of people that only know the unit they purchased (example Helix Floor) and this may be their very first experience with Line 6 products, modeling in general, and using a computer as part of playing guitar.  That's who you have to keep in mind when you write installation instructions.

I do a lot of customer support with our clients so very in-tune with how tech can be intimidating to folks.  Every time there is an update however we get threads like this and I go try to make the latest update blow up....haven't been successful so far.  I'm not a fan of Line 6's presentation with their update utility either, but it certainly appears pretty solid functionality wise.  A few days invested by the Line 6 developers in this area would probably make the process easier to understand and streamlined....

It may be different on different platforms.  I know that on Windows 8 when I ran the download executable, it auto-launched the Updater at the end.  There may be some slight differences in Mac and maybe different versions of Windows

It is only run automatically if you have your browser set to launch downloads upon completion. It is a browser setting, not a Line 6 issue

It is only run automatically if you have your browser set to launch downloads upon completion. It is a browser setting, not a Line 6 issue

That would affect whether the download runs.  As I remember, once you run the downloaded executable, it downloads and installs all of the necessary components (editor, USB driver, and updater), then launches the updater for you to select the firmware to install, then installs the firmware.

I am in the process of upgrading from 2.0 to 2.01 today and having a problem, the exact same problem I had with 2.0

I work all my music stuff on my mac and email and other stuff on my PC

So, on my mac, after carefully following all instructions and committing the upgrade, my screen on the Helix just stays blank and does not go into rebuilding presets. 

Same thing happened with 2.0 and the only way I could get my Helix to accept the upgrade was to give up on the mac and go upstairs and do it on my PC, which worked.

I wrongly assumed the the 2.01 would have surely fixed this mac related issue, but no.

So am I the only person who has run into this on the mac platform?

Just as a YMMV, my 201 upgrade went completely smoothly, unlike my 20 :). I used the same USB port that I finally learned worked better during the 2.0 upgrade, and for once, everything happened just like it's supposed to..Yay!

I think one of the reasons my upgrade went so smoothly is I have a small windows laptop/tablet combo that's dedicated to working on the Helix.  There's literally nothing on that computer other than the basic stuff and things for the Helix (and Kasperky).

I think one of the reasons my upgrade went so smoothly is I have a small windows laptop/tablet combo that's dedicated to working on the Helix.  There's literally nothing on that computer other than the basic stuff and things for the Helix (and Kasperky).

I would agree the leaner the system the less chance of having failures with firmware upgrades due to driver conflicts, conflicting devices, poorly behaved software, firewall or antivirus programs, etc. but I have to say I have a Windows 10 box that has been around forever with everything under the sun loaded on it and it still has no issues with upgrades, even with the firewall and antivirus software running. Sometimes it just seems to be the luck of the draw, which particular hardware and USB connections you have and what software you have loaded. Mac users seem to have encountered more issues than Windows users too from what I can tell from postings on the forum.