Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parametric Eq - How Can I Use? Help

Junis

You can save as many as you like in different patches, but maybe I just read  your question wrong.

It is a fairly limited para Es in the HD with only one variable frequency and high and low shelves I think.

To work it, narrow the "Q" and boost the gain then sweep the desired area of cut or boost. 

My question is how many and how do i save frequencis on parametric eq? No in others eqs

You can save as many as you like in different patches, but maybe I just

read  your question wrong.

It is a fairly limited para Es in the HD with only one variable frequency and high and low shelves I think.

To work it, narrow the "Q" and boost the gain then sweep the desired area of cut or boost. 

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq

An excellent guide by a forum member.

The parametric EQ in the HD series is a basic EQ intended for those who don't know how to use common Studio EQs. You have High, low and one parametric band . It's obviously intended to be simple and that can be very good. Simply move the High and Lows as needed, then if you need to modify other frequencies, simply use the parametric and search for the frequency by moving the dial. the key to remember is that the Q parameter works not like you might expect, if you lower the Q by moving it to the left, this will effect the sound significantly more than when you move it to the right. The Values of the Q decides how much adjacent frequencies next the center frequency are affected. Low Q value will affect more frequencies but at maximum Q, the frequency band is the narrowest and is intended for surgical correction of a small band of frequencies (around the center frequency). Since these frequencies aren't disclosed by line 6, it's somewhat difficult, if you're used to working with specific frequencies, to find the correct frequencies.

But no one mentioned that there's a possibilities that Line 6 didn't disclose the frequencies because these frequencies could have been discovered by line 6, and giving them away is not an option to protect their discovery. :). 

thanks but how many frequencies can i save per effect block, one right?

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq

An excellent guide by a forum member.

The parametric EQ in the HD series is a basic EQ intended for those who don't know how to use common Studio EQs. You have High, low and one parametric band . It's obviously intended to be simple and that can be very good. Simply move the High and Lows as needed, then if you need to modify other frequencies, simply use the parametric and search for the frequency by moving the dial. the key to remember is that the Q parameter works not like you might expect, if you lower the Q by moving it to the left, this will effect the sound significantly more than when you move it to the right. The Values of the Q decides how much adjacent frequencies next the center frequency are affected. Low Q value will affect more frequencies but at maximum Q, the frequency band is the narrowest and is intended for surgical correction of a small band of frequencies (around the center frequency). Since these frequencies aren't disclosed by line 6, it's somewhat difficult, if you're used to working with specific frequencies, to find the correct frequencies.

But no one mentioned that there's a possibilities that Line 6 didn't disclose the frequencies because these frequencies could have been discovered by line 6, and giving them away is not an option to protect their discovery. :). 

thanks but how many frequencies can i save per effect block, one right?

Each effect block can have any of the EQ effects. So that depends on what you choose in that effect block.  If you choose "Studio EQ" it has two frequency choices, if you choose the "shift EQ" you have 4 Frequencies. If you need more EQ frequencies, simply use more than one effect block.

I think I'm not knowing me explain what I want to know is, for example, if I want, in parametric eq, to gain a frequency x give y gain in another frequency, another frequency cut, how many frequencias I can handle  in 1 parametric eq? I made ​​myself clear? Thank you for your attention

Each effect block can have any of the EQ effects. So that depends on what you choose in that effect block.  If you choose "Studio EQ" it has two frequency choices, if you choose the "shift EQ" you have 4 Frequencies. If you need more EQ frequencies, simply use more than one effect block.

The Q or size of the bell curve of the parametic effects frequencies either side so it best to to say one as the frequency chosen.for the narrowest bell curve. What that exactly is on the HD is a guess by good ears or a frequency analyzer with an output from the HD.

With a wide bell curve the frequencies effected are much more and best considered as a group. low mids or high.

I think I'm not knowing me explain what I want to know is, for example, if I want, in parametric eq, to gain a frequency x give y gain in another frequency, another frequency cut, how many frequencias I can handle  in 1 parametric eq? I made ​​myself clear? Thank you for your attention

It has three bands, LOW , HIGH and one variable frequency that you can choose what frequency you want. The low and the High bands are predetermined by Line 6 and you can't change the frequency or Q, you can only cut or boost. but just for that one band you can change the frequency, the Q and boost or cut.

Hi Junis, you can look at the frequency responses of the various EQs here: http://line6.com/support/topic/335-frequency-response-graphs-for-hd500-eqs/?hl=pfsmith0&do=findComment&comment=1519 and make you own conclusions. The different types of EQs have different responses. The parametric EQ has controls for frequencies below 200 Hz, above 2kHz, and a variable-Q filter that can sweep between 45Hz and 4.5kHz.

How many frequencies can you handle in one parametric EQ in one effect block was your question, I think. 

The short answer is you get one setting.  You adjust the parametric and gain for the frequency you want in the effect block, along with the Hi and Low shelf.  If you need to adjust more frequencies, you use another effects block and another EQ.

There is a little language barrier here.  I hope we eventually get you the answer you're looking for.

Well...

I've yet to find a HD500 patch that contains an EQ that actually makes it sound better. Typically I just simply disable it and use the 'Amps' tone settings.

Personally the EQ's are a joke and Line 6 made them very convoluted.

There is not much commonality between the EQ's inside the POD HD nor do they follow industry standard parameters.

Here's a

that explains on a oscilloscope much of the crazy EQ strangeness. :blink:

I also got an external EQ but mailny for the reason of having global EQ which is really necessary to adjust to different venue's.

I feel I can usually get great sounds without using EQ in the POD so I don't really mind.

What I really hate about the EQ's is that they are very prone to clipping when sitting behind an amp in the chain. Yesterday I was attempting a clean patch with a Fender amp. I had an EQ behind it, but I got clipping. Until I turned it off! What also really surprised me was that the EQ was altering the sound, even when turned off. When I removed the EQ alltogether the sound was much better compared to the EQ sitting there turned off!

Now tell me that ain't wrong.