Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anything coming yet on Touch Engage/Disengage Pedal like Axe FX

sonikimage

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the footswitch action on the Helix, but you never know.  To me it's one of the easiest I've dealt with.  Most of the footswitches require a lot of pressure, but these are just right at least for me.

Put it into IdeaScale and see if it flies.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the footswitch action on the Helix, but you never know.  To me it's one of the easiest I've dealt with.  Most of the footswitches require a lot of pressure, but these are just right at least for me.

Put it into IdeaScale and see if it flies.

Brother you must have missed a lot of posts. :)

That has been a complaint since day one.  

As I've pointed out before...Just try playing on a stage with nasty old carpet and uneven weak spots on the floor. 

Sure the toe switch works just "fine" when you're on a hard floor or a short carpet and you don't have to worry about singing, switching patches, and trying to entertain a crowd at the same time.

But in the real world of live music...it's a bit of a pain. 

Having used "auto engage" wah pedals that required no toe-switch...I can tell you that it is THE way to go.

• Upvote 1

Yep, toe down or heel up activation of the wah with no switch is a feature on the Fractal and although I vastly prefer the Helix the Fractal guys definitely got that one right. This should just require a firmware change.  It is a nice feature and I can see why people want it. You can also see switchless features on some wah pedals like the Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 which actually activates from the weight of your foot.  Weight activation would not work too well on a pedal serving dual purpose like wah/volume without also using a switch but that Morley implementation is damn ingenious.

• Upvote 1

useless when you use a volume pedal tho.   I suppose it might be alright on one of the Ext expression pedals...

Anyone who is accustomed to Crybabys or any of the classic wahs is comfortable with the switch. 

Been using wahs live onstage since 1979. 

Completely different environment when you're using a real amp and wah pedal. Not as much "dancing" on the pedals lol

And I can also tell you 100% that my Crybaby switch is so much easier to turn on and off than the Helix one. 

Not a big deal...especially since the wah is not an option now with the 2.0 firmware and moving around from Snapshot to Snapshot. But once they get that sorted out it would be nice to have an "auto engage" on that pedal. :)

This just works like a Dream on the Axe FX. Really. Even thou I bought the Mission pedal /w switch for Helix, Id switch over in a second if it had all the bells and whistles the Axe has on this topic. Its that good... You can even adjust the percentage of when it will engage, and the slope/curve on the wah pedal. 

• Upvote 2

Been using wahs live onstage since 1979. 

Completely different environment when you're using a real amp and wah pedal. Not as much "dancing" on the pedals lol

And I can also tell you 100% that my Crybaby switch is so much easier to turn on and off than the Helix one....

sure I have seen some wah switches that are pretty soft.  Still have no problem with the helix one.  Also have no problem with the Wah and snapshots - all good for me.

Curious what you mean about "when you're using a real amp and wah pedal. Not as much "dancing" on the pedals l"  since using real amps and pedals means no presets, so snapshots, no memories so one is constantly tap dancing as opposed to the Helix where a couple of single taps per song is the norm?

sure I have seen some wah switches that are pretty soft.  Still have no problem with the helix one.  Also have no problem with the Wah and snapshots - all good for me.

Curious what you mean about "when you're using a real amp and wah pedal. Not as much "dancing" on the pedals l"  since using real amps and pedals means no presets, so snapshots, no memories so one is constantly tap dancing as opposed to the Helix where a couple of single taps per song is the norm?

Not really. Since the mid 1980's I always had a rack of effects and a midi pedal to control everything. And whether it was a Boogie set up or the last "real" tube amp I had (a Bogner Ecstasy head)  I usually had my sounds all pre-programmed and it was one button for each sound with no latency (of course). And with the crybaby wah....no problems engaging it when I needed to. 

I'm loving the Helix because I can literally throw my guitar and the helix in the car and go to the gig. No truck or road crew needed. :)

But yeah, the toe-switch kinda sucks. And yes...there is a "problem" with wah and snapshots that has already been documented and some workarounds "invented" heh-heh

I'm just not using wah until they fix that problem in a future firmware update. :)