Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

did many people succeedin trans-variax system to custom guitar?

im planning to transfer variax to custom guitar.

some in my country did this and they satisfied.

is there people in US satisfied and how about this forum's opinion?

It will depend entirely on whether or not the guy doing the work knows what he's doing...it'll either be the best thing since indoor plumbing, or a train wreck.

Yes he is.

He knows I can do it too, but he also knows my bosses won't let me.

Only done transplants for a couple of high profile endorsers as favor

to them and the top brass here.

One guy in Canada, used to be at a service center, transplanted to a

Flying V,... he needed to, he's a lefty. I did Carlos Rios' who's also a lefty.

Because of the different resonance aspects compared to the woods we

use, the tone color in their guitars sounded different, but otherwise worked good.

But yeah,... need someone who knows this stuff inside and out.

I would love to see some pics of these guitars.

Look up and to the left....

You could also google it - there are plenty of people who have upped details (and good pics), of vaxplants or variax transplants - whatever you wanna call 'em. Some are quite beautiful looking instruments, but not necessarily what I would choose to play.

Mine were straightforward xplants into "Strat" style clones, since I'm a Strat player by default. My plan was to relic them, to look like old "players", so I wasn't fussed if I hacked up the wood a bit with a chisel or whatever. It may be different for you.... And the truth is as long as you use common sense, research as much as possible, and you're handy with some tools, it's totally doable. It all depends on the level of "customisation" you're expecting.

Good luck with it!

• 3 weeks later...

Clay,... actually, I have. But they were off-the-clock favors for

guitarist Carlos Rios and a couple others. Haven't had time for

any others lately though.

And Stevekc's photo is of the older Variax insides. I'm familiar

with and know of the work of Thermal Relief Guitars,... not half bad.

• Upvote 1

Model outputs won't sound the same in a different body.

The tone colour or EQ is affected, and it may or may not

be a subtle, depending on the body it's in.

Everyone I talked to with a transplant has told me that. It's

something to be aware of before you delve into this. They neither

like nor dislike that, they just confirmed to me about that. They

were aware before hand that it would be the case.

• Upvote 1

But they were off-the-clock favors for

guitarist Carlos Rios

nest time you see Carlos Rios - tell him Steve Conrad from old Valley Arts  days (circa 1979-1986) says "Hello! 

Clay,... actually, I have. But they were off-the-clock favors for

guitarist Carlos Rios and a couple others. Haven't had time for

any others lately though.

And Stevekc's photo is of the older Variax insides. I'm familiar

with and know of the work of Thermal Relief Guitars,... not half bad.

That's awesome of you, but it's still off the clock.

Because of the different resonance aspects compared to the woods we

use, the tone color in their guitars sounded different, but otherwise worked good.

No to start that whole debate...but are you saying DSP modelling tones are altered by the woods their electronics are housed in....really?

No to start that whole debate...but are you saying DSP modelling tones are altered by the woods their electronics are housed in....really?

Somewhere there's a guy who will claim to be able to distinguish between woods that were cut down Tuesdays vs. Wednesdays (with or without a full moon), as well as which company made the chainsaw. Take it for what is worth, which ain't much.

Just as a bunch of world famous wine tasters were recently embarrassed by this guy...:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wine-tasting-is-bulllollipop-heres-why-496098276

...the idea of "tone woods", and the ability to distinguish between them is about as ridiculous. Perception is influenced by many things (appearance and price tag are often the primary factors), and changes from one day to the next for any of 1000 reasons. ALL of theses discussions are 100% subjective, and you'll never "prove" anything, either way.

Loving the wine article... :D...and the Tuesday, Wednesday thing! I guess I can't get my head round how a bunch of electronics, particularly those that are modelled are going to sound different if you put them in another holder. I've transplanted a couple of 500s into different body shapes and woods, but they didn't sound any different afterwards!! As you say 10% subjective and a little like wine tasting!!

"No to start that whole debate...but are you saying DSP modelling tones are altered by the woods their electronics are housed in....really?"--- 

Carlos has an SG copy rigged for left handed, with JTV guts in it, he noticed a subtle

difference in tone compared to his JTV-69,... as we expected when we A/B them.

A former service tech in Canada (one of the 4 or 5 mod guys in No America), also a lefty,

said the same thing when he transplanted JTV guts into a Flying-V.

Oz Noy had JTV modified and customized by a guitar maker out here (yes, also one of

the 4 or 5 in No America). Oz had me do a couple of mods to adjust the tone colour on it.

He had the body further sculpted and one of the guitar maker's special fitted necks.

It's a mix of electronics and acoustics. They all sound fine, play great, and yes,... a difference

in tone. But in their cases it was a subtle difference.

Transplants work,... just wanted you all to be aware of those subtle differences, so that if

you go there, you go there with eyes open and ears aware.

Enjoy. Rock-n-roll!!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

"No to start that whole debate...but are you saying DSP modelling tones are altered by the woods their electronics are housed in....really?"--- 

Carlos has an SG copy rigged for left handed, with JTV guts in it, he noticed a subtle

difference in tone compared to his JTV-69,... as we expected when we A/B them.

A former service tech in Canada (one of the 4 or 5 mod guys in No America), also a lefty,

said the same thing when he transplanted JTV guts into a Flying-V.

Oz Noy had JTV modified and customized by a guitar maker out here (yes, also one of

the 4 or 5 in No America). Oz had me do a couple of mods to adjust the tone colour on it.

He had the body further sculpted and one of the guitar maker's special fitted necks.

It's a mix of electronics and acoustics. They all sound fine, play great, and yes,... a difference

in tone. But in their cases it was a subtle difference.

Transplants work,... just wanted you all to be aware of those subtle differences, so that if

you go there, you go there with eyes open and ears aware.

Enjoy. Rock-n-roll!!!

Apologies and I understand if you cant divulge this info, but are there different stock settings in the JTV Variax tech components to match the body/wood/construction of the JTV-69, 59, and 89 to deliver similar modeling results from the different guitar types?

I ask because this may influence the decision of the Line 6 JTV donor and/or transplant guitar.  I've never had the stock JTV's side by side to compare.

"Apologies and I understand if you can't divulge this info, but are there different stock settings in the JTV Variax tech components to match the body/wood/construction of the JTV-69, 59, and 89 to deliver similar modeling results from the different guitar types"----

Models are all the same on all JTV's,...  it's the Alt Tune, switching configuration and a couple other things

that determines which guitar is which (electronically). You can't take a program board from one type of JTV

and put it into a different type of JTV. It won't sound right or fully function. 69 with 69, 59 with 59,... put 59 board

in a 69 and you'll have problems.

If you get a spare board it has to be for the correct JTV type you have, or it won't work right.

That's as much of it as I get into. I've mentioned this stuff in other posts.

• Upvote 1

"Apologies and I understand if you can't divulge this info, but are there different stock settings in the JTV Variax tech components to match the body/wood/construction of the JTV-69, 59, and 89 to deliver similar modeling results from the different guitar types"----

Models are all the same on all JTV's,...  it's the Alt Tune, switching configuration and a couple other things

that determines which guitar is which (electronically). You can't take a program board from one type of JTV

and put it into a different type of JTV. It won't sound right or fully function. 69 with 69, 59 with 59,... put 59 board

in a 69 and you'll have problems.

If you get a spare board it has to be for the correct JTV type you have, or it won't work right.

That's as much of it as I get into. I've mentioned this stuff in other posts.

Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to repeat it. I'm new to JTV and Variax HD and didn't dig into the old threads as much ad I could have.

"Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to repeat it. I'm new to JTV and Variax HD and didn't dig into the old threads as much ad I could have"---

No problem. I'm here to help. There are a number of my responses to postings on this subject,

a lot to sift through,... if you're so inclined.  

• 1 month later...

I was intrigued by a transplant as well before I got my JTV69. The guitar is an absolute strat guys guitar.And I have some nice strats!

Now all I want is to sell 3 or 4 of my guitars that sit most of the time and get another JTV69 lol!

Great thread!

• Upvote 1