Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strings Of Dimensionality

duncann

Completed a new song using Helix: Strings Of Dimensionality.

Had a lot of fun writing this one. In particular two sections. One section starts at about 4:18 and uses the dynamix flanger. Love that this effect has an envelope controller. Gives the tone a sort of autowah character but with the flavour of a flanger. The other section starts at around 5:46 and makes use of the harmony delay, a truly wonderful effect. This section wouldn't have been possible without the addition of snapshots, as I change several parameters on this effect five times. This provided a way to construct a rich tapestry of sound that is incredibly easy to play. One could even consider this as a way of cheating to play something that sounds complex. :)

Everything you hear in this song, with the exception of the drums, is Helix recorded over USB, no post processing.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 4

Absolutely phenomenal playing! I love the use of the pitch whammy. Great Helix sounds with fantastic musicianship to demonstrate them!

Thanks for taking a listen and the nice comments HonestOpinion!

I take it you mean a whammy using an actual floating bridge? Cause I don't use a pitch block in this song. And sometimes, what may sound like a whammy effect (actual) might actually be string bending. I do that sort of mixing of techniques often. The reason is odd though. I try to intentionally limit my use of the whammy bar because I tend to break them. And they are expensive at $70.

Thanks for taking a listen and the nice comments HonestOpinion!

I take it you mean a whammy using an actual floating bridge? Cause I don't use a pitch block in this song. And sometimes, what may sound like a whammy effect (actual) might actually be string bending. I do that sort of mixing of techniques often. The reason is odd though. I try to intentionally limit my use of the whammy bar because I tend to break them. And they are expensive at $70.

Actually I thought you were using a pitch block. That is some extremely talented use of a whammy bar, no wonder you end up breaking them  :)

Actually I thought you were using a pitch block. That is some extremely talented use of a whammy bar, no wonder you end up breaking them  :)

Lol. Thanks.

Talking a little about patch construction reminds me, if anyone is interested in the presets I used for this song, I'd be happy to attach them to this thread.

Lol. Thanks.

Talking a little about patch construction reminds me, if anyone is interested in the presets I used for this song, I'd be happy to attach them to this thread.

You're presets would be highly appreciated!

Ok. Here's the patches then.

There are some IRs used in these. One of them I've included, Taylor 314ce-Earthworks, since it's freely floating around on the web. Octo uses this one. Lead uses number 1 from Rosen Digital's Carvin Legacy, and Dback uses number 2 from Rosen Digital's Carvin Legacy. These can probably be replaced with most anything for a similar tone.

strings.of.dimensionality.v2.01.0.zip