Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Redesign the EQ sliders on the PC Editor

VicKlonin

All the equalizer adjustments used in various areas within Helix are displayed with the Low frequency adjustments at the top & Hi frequencies at the bottom of the editing window which is really upside down & against the natural grain. These should all be reversed so they follow a logical Hi to Low order that one would expect to find on an equalizer.

The 10 band graphic EQs are also displayed in the same (horizontal) way but should really be displayed with vertical sliders instead of horizontal sliders. Currently they are displayed as I have previously mentioned above.

I know this sounds trivial but there things make it more natural to follow.

Just turn your head sideways to the right....

Although I agree with the logic, all of the effects and amps are displays with the first control on the top and continuing down in the same order that they appear on the display screen, so it is congruent with the way the design is laid out for everything else.

• Upvote 1

All the equalizer adjustments used in various areas within Helix are displayed with the Low frequency adjustments at the top & Hi frequencies at the bottom of the editing window which is really upside down & against the natural grain. These should all be reversed so they follow a logical Hi to Low order that one would expect to find on an equalizer.

The 10 band graphic EQs are also displayed in the same (horizontal) way but should really be displayed with vertical sliders instead of horizontal sliders. Currently they are displayed as I have previously mentioned above.

I know this sounds trivial but there things make it more natural to follow.

Much as I love having an editor, it has great functionality, thank you L6, I agree, the way that the GUI design team used huge colored bars for everything in the editor is one of the more inexplicable design choices I have witnessed in all my years of using software and editors. I do not understand that decision and I think other more traditional GUI elements like pulldown boxes, switches, etc. and yes, even smaller vertical sliders for EQ would have been a much better choice. Could someone please explain the advantages of this design to me and why I have to scroll down in a screen to control a relatively few number of parameters because all the bars rival the Grand Canyon in their size and scope if not its natural wonder. Why do I have to drag an enormous bar to see effects and amps one by one when there may one day be 200 of them to scroll through (one can hope)? Wouldn't smaller pulldown menus where you could see all or most of your choices all at once make a lot more sense and as a bonus conserve the space required to fit everything on one screen? But I have belabored this point elsewhere so I will leave it at that. Rant over, please don't flame me ye lovers of huge colored bars.

They made it easy to touch, like many apps these days.

That thought had occurred to me but it would make more sense if there was a tablet app for it on the iPad or Android. Granted many people have touchscreens these days on their laptops or sometimes for their PC but I think most people probably tend to use their keyboards and mouse with the Editor. The Microsoft tablets are a small share of the market but I suppose those who have them may like having the large bars, you point may be quite salient for them. There are also ways to set up a remote desktop on your iPad for the Helix but there are probably relatively few people doing it as it still requires the Helix to be USB tethered to a PC or laptop. If the Editor was a Blutooth app this would make more sense to me but given what appears to be the current intended usage for the Editor (laptop or PC) it does not require the large bars.

They made it easy to touch, like many apps these days.

I think this is the main thing, so that when it finally does get ported to (possibly) mobile platforms its already in the interface to be functional that way. I use the touch screen on my PC almost exclusively with the editor, just because of how its laid out. But, I also rarely use the editor, since fixing stuff on the device is just as easy. I'd rather see programming resources go into more amps and lowering the patch change latency of Editor UI changes.

• Upvote 1