Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Passive Volume Pedal and Helix - Is my logic correct?

craigmoleski

Hi guys,

First off, this forum has been incredible in the purchase of my Helix - on order and looking forward to the arrival!

I had a quick question for a volume pedal. I'm making a switch from pedals & stompboxes. I currently have a Ernie Ball VPJR (I believe the passive 250K) Ideally, I would keep this pedal strictly for volume use, and assign the Helix's pedal for various expression functions.Traditionally, I would run drive pedals -> into VPJR -> into delay/modulation -> to amp.

So my question would be, can I insert the VPJR as an effect, and use as it's own effect block, by placing it anywhere in my chain, and will work in the same manor? My apologies for any lack of knowledge on my end. 

Thanks guys!

-Craig

Welcome.

And, absolutely you can; you'd put it into a loop and assign that loop wherever you'd like by placing the loop send/return as you like.

... just a thought to add to this too; splitting hairs a little here, but you might find that your VPJR may be able to function as an expression pedal plugged into the #2 or #3 EXP PEDAL jacks on the unit - then you can add a volume block into your patches wherever you'd like, and continue to use your familiar pedal, but in this new way.

Although a tiny thing, it saves from having to run a send and return to the pedal wherein your signal goes through the D/A -> A/D conversions and adds a bit of length to your signal path - and the only reason I bring this up is that there's a solution built into the Helix which I believe will be able to use your existing pedal to control it.

No added length of signal path, etc.

... perhaps someone can confirm that the EB volume pedal family is indeed compatible as an expression controller for Helix - and it would be a simple patch cable from (I believe) the output side of the VPJR.

Hi guys,

First off, this forum has been incredible in the purchase of my Helix - on order and looking forward to the arrival!

I had a quick question for a volume pedal. I'm making a switch from pedals & stompboxes. I currently have a Ernie Ball VPJR (I believe the passive 250K) Ideally, I would keep this pedal strictly for volume use, and assign the Helix's pedal for various expression functions.Traditionally, I would run drive pedals -> into VPJR -> into delay/modulation -> to amp.

So my question would be, can I insert the VPJR as an effect, and use as it's own effect block, by placing it anywhere in my chain, and will work in the same manor? My apologies for any lack of knowledge on my end. 

Thanks guys!

-Craig

Yes that should work fine.

You just need to plug the volume pedal into Send and Return sockets add a Send/Return block on your Helix chain (Path) wherever you want to insert your volume pedal.  

The advantage over a traditional board is of course, that on different Helix presets you can choose to put your volume pedal wherever you choose.

The impedance of the pedal may affect the sound a bit, traditionally a 250K ohm pedal is used for instrument level and 25-50K for line level.   The loops can be adjusted for instrument/line levels, so start with instrument level.

I used one of these pedals, and it is really simple. Nothing into pedal input, patch lead out of pedal output into exp pedal 3 input on rear of helix. Insert volume block to taste in all patches, and assign volume block controller to exp 3. This gives you an external volume pedal, and exp 1 and 2 to set up as you wish for other cool stuff.