Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix died in middle of jam

mjorden

This is a copy and paste from a friends Helix User Group post on FB. I am the witness in this account. Has anyone else experienced this? Makes me worry this could happen during a gig...

Had my buddy over after work to take care of some gear. Was having him check out the Helix presets I had setup for gigging... About 15 minutes in my Helix just powered down outta nowhere and was completely unresponsive. No power, swapped cables, outlets.... Nothing. About 10 minutes later it powers back up...

Anyone have anything like that happen?

Completely weird and I have a witness to it too...

This is the first I've read of something like this.

Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the device's hardware. I'd tell the person to contact Line 6 support or the retailer where they got it from.

Only experienced the infamous 'lock up bit still processes audio on whatever preset was active' thing, always plugged into my Mac via USB with Editor open.

The one thing I did like about my old pedal setup is they were all true bypass, if one died in the chain during a show, audio would still flow through and I'd just be without that specific effect, and having spare patch cables sitting just under my pedaltrain had me covered all round. Much as I absolutely love my Helix (the more I use it the more I know it's a permanent fixture) I am a little concerned about the 'all eggs in one basket' thing. I don't own a HD unit or another single processor to use as a backup, and even if I did I think the additional weight to lug around and goofyness of having to grab and swap out potentially mid song is not for me.

I finally came up with my backup solution, bought a Pedaltrain Nano+ and threw small form factor pedals on it (mainly TC electronic mini pedals, but reverb, delay, chorus, overdrive, boost, tuner...all you'd really need in a bind). I have an A\B switch in front of each chain and run each one to a separate input on my amp. Any problem suddenly happens with one I'm only a small hiccup pause button click away from the second, and the footprint is tiny. Hope I never need to use it, but like house insurance when you need it...you need it. 

M first thought was heat as well. That sounds like a thermal overload. I would do a support ticket just in case. Mayb have it checked out. If it's ok then make sure it's well ventilated. Sounds odd though. All of the other ideas above are possibilities as well.

When you say it powered back up, it didn't do that by itself, did it? You mean that for a while, it wouldn't come back on when you turned it on manually, then after a little time it did, right?

He has talked to L6 service. It happened in an air conditioned basement with plenty of ventilation for the Helix sitting up on a pedal board. The only thing that went out was the Helix. I played my Helix at a gig last Saturday where the heat index was 110 and the unit was on for 6 hours with no issues. It's a mystery right now but L6 is aware of the issue.