Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Update Sequences - Helix Firmware + Application

willc

I’m a bid confused about updates/Releasenotes and missing this one sentence which could clarify everything e.g. “This update covers/replaces all previous updates ...†or “You have to install all update patches incrementally ...â€.

So I’m sorry to have to ask in order to avoid running into errors.

I have

- received a Helix (not rack) with Firmware 1.04.3

- installed Drivers 1.78-(Windows 7-64)

- installed Helix Application 1.04.3 and backed up Bundles/Setlists (IRs are empty)

Now: The Download area and release notes refer to

a) "Firmware" and "Flash Memory": I assume that is the same, right?

b.) H-Application, H-Editor, H-Editor Application, That's all the same, right?

c) Various Versions of Firmware, Flash-Memory, Helix Application, H-Editor, H-Editor Application:

Can I just install the newest Versions 2.01 or do I have to install all previous versions incrementally?

d) Do I have to follow a sequence regarding Firmware, Flash-Memory, Application, Editor, Updater?

If yes, which sequence starting from 1.04.3?

e) “Reset Globals and Restoring Presets othewise Helix 2.01 would not work properlyâ€:

Do I still have to do this when coming from my current status 1.04.3

Many thanks for clarification?

Now: The Download area and release notes refer to

a) "Firmware" and "Flash Memory": I assume that is the same, right?

b.) H-Application, H-Editor, H-Editor Application, That's all the same, right?

c) Various Versions of Firmware, Flash-Memory, Helix Application, H-Editor, H-Editor Application:

Can I just install the newest Versions 2.01 or do I have to install all previous versions incrementally?

d) Do I have to follow a sequence regarding Firmware, Flash-Memory, Application, Editor, Updater?

If yes, which sequence starting from 1.04.3?

e) “Reset Globals and Restoring Presets othewise Helix 2.01 would not work properlyâ€:

Do I still have to do this when coming from my current status 1.04.3

Many thanks for clarification?

a)  Yes, firmware and flash memory are somewhat the same.  Flash memory is where firmware is stored.

b- The Helix application, is also referred to as the editor.  It shows up as an application simply named "Helix" on your computer

c)  Just install the 2.01 update.  It will install everything you need.

d)  On the software download page select "Helix" in the first drop down box that says "All Products", select "Helix" also in the second drop down box that says "All software",  and select the correct operating system in the last drop down box, then press "Go".  You will see as the top item on the next page instructions with the tite:

Helix Editor v2.01 Release Notes

scroll to the bottom of those release notes and you will see a "Get Download" button on the right side.  Press that button and it will download the software.  Execute the software that is downloaded and then follow the directions in the release notes to go through the installation process.

e)  Resetting globals and restoring presets is necessary for the 2.01 update.  Follow the procedures as written.

ok thanks, everything done and ok! It took about 30 Minutes, so no big deal.

Now, just to summarize a few issues, in case other users are going through the same story.

1. Registration: For those experienced Line 6 Users who are considering Helix: Helix is NOT administered through Line 6 Monkey. It is completely outside (at least at the moment), So you also don't register your name, device and Serial No before downloading and updating. Therefore, in case you decide to return Helix you don't have to unregister.

2. Updating (referring to my questions in case future Helix buyers have the same questions)

a) Firmware = Flash Memory

b.) Helix-Application = H-Editor = H-Editor Application - it's all the same

c) Install just the newest version of Application and Firmware, it would cover previous versions

d) Yes, the sequence is as described in the Release Notes, but

Clarification: The Release note says "If you’re running Helix FW 1.12, your current Helix application version should be 1.12".

But what if your current FW is before that? Answer: Just do the same:

i) Install the newest Helix Application (=Editor). It will automatically install the newest Helix updater.

ii) The updater lets you download/install the newest firmware or - if already downloaded - you can start the update from your local drive.

iii) Then reset Globals and Presets as described in the Release Note

iv) Then restore User Presets/Bundles etc.

That's it

e) Resetting Globals and restoring presets will restore factory presets only. User Presets/Bundles/Setlists must be restored manually. That's why the instructions tells you to backup your User presets before you start the update.

b.) Helix-Application = H-Editor = H-Editor Application - it's all the same

The "Helix" application includes the Editor but is not equal to the Editor.  The Helix application includes the Editor, Updater, and drivers. The "Helix" 2.01 application now displays with the heading "Helix" in the dark grey bar on the L6 download page. In earlier versions the "Helix" app was called the "Helix Editor" which was a bit confusing as it actually included as mentioned, the Editor, Updater, and drivers.

iv) Then restore User Presets/Bundles etc.

It is generally not a good idea to restore a bundle as this will overwrite any new or modified Factory or Templates list presets in the new firmware.  Remember, a bundle overwrites everything including the Factory and Templates lists.  It is better to restore Setlists or individual presets. If you are going to modify your Factory presets either copy them to a new User list location first and modify them there, or if you modify them in a Factory list, be sure to copy them out individually or as a setlist that you can restore after your next firmware upgrade without overwriting new/modified Factory presets that may come with the new firmware.

• Upvote 1

One point that I just discovered. The Flash Memory option only appears if you do not pick Helix in the second box. I have accidentally tried to Get Download on the Flash Memory a few times. It is a much smaller file and then I get an error that says no application can run it. I then go back and get the much larger FW update file and things download appropriately. I'm not sure what the purpose of the Flash Memory download is.

That being said, I still can not update to 2.01. Despite following the instructions and have successfully updated previous FW versions on the first try in the past, I consistently get a nonfunctioning unit at this point. I can reboot in update mode and roll back the FW to earlier versions. I was on 1.12 and this appears to function. Trying to update always gets stuck at the point the presets should start to rebuild. Once it appeared to work properly but then stayed stuck at rebuilding preset 97. Using a late 2013 MBP with OS X El Cap 10.11.6.

I fear this is Karma. I consider myself extremely computer literate and rarely have trouble with devices. In the past, when I have read posts by people having problems, I automatically assume they are simply doing something wrong. Furthermore, I am sure if I was sitting next to them, I could easily diagnose and love the problem. Now I appear to be paying for that arrogance.

Just opened a trouble ticket with L6.

One point that I just discovered. The Flash Memory option only appears if you do not pick Helix in the second box. I have accidentally tried to Get Download on the Flash Memory a few times. It is a much smaller file and then I get an error that says no application can run it. I then go back and get the much larger FW update file and things download appropriately. I'm not sure what the purpose of the Flash Memory download is.

That being said, I still can not update to 2.01. Despite following the instructions and have successfully updated previous FW versions on the first try in the past, I consistently get a nonfunctioning unit at this point. I can reboot in update mode and roll back the FW to earlier versions. I was on 1.12 and this appears to function. Trying to update always gets stuck at the point the presets should start to rebuild. Once it appeared to work properly but then stayed stuck at rebuilding preset 97. Using a late 2013 MBP with OS X El Cap 10.11.6.

I fear this is Karma. I consider myself extremely computer literate and rarely have trouble with devices. In the past, when I have read posts by people having problems, I automatically assume they are simply doing something wrong. Furthermore, I am sure if I was sitting next to them, I could easily diagnose and love the problem. Now I appear to be paying for that arrogance.

Just opened a trouble ticket with L6.

Hmm... I wonder if that particular preset is corrupt in some way. Maybe try overwriting it prior to running the update (I believe that would be preset 24B in the first setlist). Or perhaps if you have your setlists backed up, you could try doing a factory reset before running the update.

As far as why Line 6 has the firmware files available as downloads, it is possible to download the flash file separately and the run the updater in offline mode and send the file that way. Might help in certain situations.

Which "Factory reset" would you suggest? FS 9 and 10 while booting, or another one? At this point I almost wish there was some pinhole reset button that could send it back to the original factory settings and I would just update from there. I only have a few imported presets and they are all saved on my laptop so I don't care if I lose anything at this point.

Unfortunately, to do this, I will have to get it back to a point where something actually works, maybe trying to revert back to 1.12 again. When I turn it on now it stays stuck in the boot screen and there is :-28 in the upper left hand corner. It never moves beyond this.

Which "Factory reset" would you suggest? FS 9 and 10 while booting, or another one? At this point I almost wish there was some pinhole reset button that could send it back to the original factory settings and I would just update from there. I only have a few imported presets and they are all saved on my laptop so I don't care if I lose anything at this point.

Unfortunately, to do this, I will have to get it back to a point where something actually works, maybe trying to revert back to 1.12 again. When I turn it on now it stays stuck in the boot screen and there is :-28 in the upper left hand corner. It never moves beyond this.

Oh, I was under the impression from what you wrote above that you were still able to boot with 1.12 firmware... But, yes, the FS 9+10 procedure is basically a factory reset.

I don't know what the -28 in the corner of the screen means. Hopefully CS can get you sorted.

I was able to roll back to 1.12 and then tried to update to 2.01 again. At present, it says 2.01 but stays in the boot screen with just Helix and the spinning helix logo. The Helix software can not recognize it in that state. Maybe I can go back to 1.12, then do a factory reset and then try again. Unfortunately, the CS answer to my trouble call was basically Level 1 tech support information. They advised me to go into update mode and try again. I guess they didn't really read my trouble ticket because I have already tried that several times. In fact, I think the only way to roll back the FW is to go through update mode. I suppose this is like any other tech support situation where you go through the basic stuff on several levels before you get to a real person who starts thinking about the problem and not just spitting out canned solutions, or they just tell you to ship it to them. That's why I am seeking help on this forum as well.