Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adding Bypass to Snapshot Controller Parameter

ericlv

Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently there is no way to tell a snapshot whether or not it can control the bypass state of a block.  I believe once you dictate the bypass state of a block on a snapshot, it will remember it for that specific snapshot but I won't be able to remove it as a controller.

For example, I create a new preset. Snapshot 1 has reverb on.  Snapshot 2 has reverb off.  Snapshot 3 has not been edited.

When I go from snapshot 1 to snapshot 3, reverb will remain on.  When I go to snapshot 2, reverb will turn off.  Then when I go from snapshot 2 to snapshot 3, reverb will remain off.  However, once I start editing reverb on snapshot 3, snapshot 3 will control the bypass state of reverb and I can never replicate the first three sentences of this paragraph.

Is this correct? Am I missing a feature? Or is there a workaround for this?  Any input is much appreciated!

You can also assign a footswitch to control the bypass state of the reverb block. This will allow you to change its state at any time regardless of what snapshot you are in. So to use your example, after entering snapshot 3 for the second time you would need another tap on a footswitch to turn reverb on/off as desired.

Personally, I do wish that each snapshot had a setting to determine whether it should control bypass states or not. I want that for several reasons:

- You can't freely mix snapshot and stomp footswitches, so if like me, you happen to want 3 snapshots plus a generic volume boost in the bottom row (assuming you're in stomp/snap mode), that's not possible. If one snapshot could do just the boost parameter change(s), without affecting which blocks are enabled, that'd be perfect. It's a generic function that should work regardless of which blocks are on or off, so snapshots as they currently work won't do it.

(Just for the record, what I think I really want is the 10 Switches version of this, with 5 snapshots in the bottom row, one of which is boost, and 5 stomp switches in the top row.)

- Snapshots can control up to 64 parameters, where stomp footswitches can only do 8. It's not common that I want more than that, but it definitely does happen. My most common use case is a More switch, which turns up appropriate parameters of a bunch of existing blocks, so they each have two states, effectively giving you  nearly twice the number of stomps. In real life though, 8 parameters isn't enough to do everything I want that to do, so some blocks still only have one state. It'd be great if you could use a snapshot instead, with its 64 available parameter changes.