Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware Updater

electricfactory

The Editor file you download is actually an installer file. When you run it you should install all three components: the Helix editor/app program, the Line 6 Updater program, and the driver. After installing the Line 6 Updater program you run it to install the Helix firmware, with your Helix connected via USB.

That will take you to Step 5 of the installation instructions. Make sure you complete the firware installation per the instructions.

The Editor file you download is actually an installer file. When you run it you should install all three components: the Helix editor/app program, the Line 6 Updater program, and the driver. After installing the Line 6 Updater program you run it to install the Helix firmware, with your Helix connected via USB.

That will take you to Step 5 of the installation instructions. Make sure you complete the firware installation per the instructions.

Please forgive me for being dense, but this is not apparant to me. I have downloaded the Editor. I know this because the open Editor Window says, ' FIRMWARE VERSION IS OUT OF DATE 2.0 OR LATER IS REQUIRED'. 

Where EXACTLY can the Updater be found ? Please be as specific as your patience will allow..

You can download the Updater on its own here: http://line6.com/software/

Just select "Line 6 Updater" from the middle pulldown menu (just leave the first one alone).

Phil_m,

Okay have successfully updated firmware nd downloaded the Editor. Before I did these things I backed up both my Setlist and my Bundle. I'm now ready to up-load my saved Setlist and Bundle.

Question- will I retain the newer Line 6 presets, in addition to my saved old presets ? Or should I drag the new presets that I want to play with onto my desktop,  re-install my old Setlist/ Bundle and then drag the saved newer presets back into the Set ? Finally, will I retain the new Line 6 amp models [ 2204]by re-installing my old Bundle/ Setlist ?

Phil_m,

Okay have successfully updated firmware nd downloaded the Editor. Before I did these things I backed up both my Setlist and my Bundle. I'm now ready to up-load my saved Setlist and Bundle.

Question- will I retain the newer Line 6 presets, in addition to my saved old presets ? Or should I drag the new presets that I want to play with onto my desktop,  re-install my old Setlist/ Bundle and then drag the saved newer presets back into the Set ? Finally, will I retain the new Line 6 amp models [ 2204]by re-installing my old Bundle/ Setlist ?

You'll have the new amp models and effects regardless of what you do with your bundle.

If you reload your old bundle, you'll overwrite all the presets on the Helix. So in doing that, you'd overwrite the new factory presets. If you want to check out the new factory presets, just import your setlists and not the first two factory ones.

So I've re-imported my Setlist into a User space, any downside to doing this ? And why save a Bundle, do I ever need to re-import a Bundle, do you save Bundles when you perform a 'save', or just Setlists ?

It really depends on how your using the setlists available. Some people may not want to keep any of the factory presets, so the just overwrite those first two setlists with their own presets. In that case, it would makes sense to just back up the whole bundle. If you want the updated factory presets, then there's not really any reason to re-import the bundle.

Typically, I just export and import my setlists. I also do backup the whole bundle just in case there's some sort of problem, but I've not had to use re-import for anything yet.

So I've re-imported my Setlist into a User space, any downside to doing this ? And why save a Bundle, do I ever need to re-import a Bundle, do you save Bundles when you perform a 'save', or just Setlists ?

It really depends on how your using the setlists available. Some people may not want to keep any of the factory presets, so the just overwrite those first two setlists with their own presets. In that case, it would makes sense to just back up the whole bundle. If you want the updated factory presets, then there's not really any reason to re-import the bundle.

Typically, I just export and import my setlists. I also do backup the whole bundle just in case there's some sort of problem, but I've not had to use re-import for anything yet.

As Phil_m pointed out, I think saving a bundle in the event I end up with a bad Setlist save and also saving setlists and individual presets is a good idea before every upgrade. The bundle is my emergency backup. Just keep in mind even if you don't care about the factory presets and load over them with your own setlists a bundle will also blow away any new or modified Templates that L6 provides as well.

• 1 month later...

I have been having a similar problem to the original question here.

I have spent the afternoon trying to download the 2.01 update into my mac, but cannot get anything that seems to work. I can't even get so far as to update my new Helix because whatever I download from the support page seems to do nothing. (I don't have to worry about ruining or losing presets because I'm not making any until I get the latest firmware into my Helix.

I am not a computer wiz, but have never had a problem like this. Something that should be fairly simple.

Have been using a Fractal for 4 years and never encountered this confusion.

Can anyone talk me through what to do? 

Thank You In Advance

Steverts

I have been having a similar problem to the original question here.

I have spent the afternoon trying to download the 2.01 update into my mac, but cannot get anything that seems to work. I can't even get so far as to update my new Helix because whatever I download from the support page seems to do nothing. (I don't have to worry about ruining or losing presets because I'm not making any until I get the latest firmware into my Helix.

I am not a computer wiz, but have never had a problem like this. Something that should be fairly simple.

Have been using a Fractal for 4 years and never encountered this confusion.

Can anyone talk me through what to do?

Thank You In Advance

Steverts

This is the link you want for the Helix software for Mac OS X. Make sure you are logged into Line6 and then download the file by clicking "Accept and Download" at the following link and then install it on your Mac. http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7107

Note: If you choose to navigate through the download page instead look for the file that says the following on the right side of the page and scroll down to the download button at the bottom of that file description:

The file you want will say "Helix Editor v2.01 Release Notes"

Notice that the file you want says "Helix Editor...".  You do NOT want the file that says "Helix Firmware..."

Thank you so much Honest Opinion

I tried this about 5 or 6 times yesterday and couldn't get anything to open on my computer. Decided last night that maybe the problem is my 7 year old MacBook Pro.

This time, following your link, I was able to open it....but it just says "Firmware version out of date. 2.00 or later is required."

This is progress i suppose.

The whole reason I am doing this is that I am trying to install the latest firmware. I know mine is out of date. 

Sigh

Thank you so much Honest Opinion

I tried this about 5 or 6 times yesterday and couldn't get anything to open on my computer. Decided last night that maybe the problem is my 7 year old MacBook Pro.

This time, following your link, I was able to open it....but it just says "Firmware version out of date. 2.00 or later is required."

This is progress i suppose.

The whole reason I am doing this is that I am trying to install the latest firmware. I know mine is out of date.

Sigh

NOTE: If your Helix is already at version 2.01 (version shows while Helix is booting) and a global reset has already been run, you should be able to communicate with the Editor simply by finding a PC or Mac with a USB connection that works with the Helix and by putting the version of the Editor that matches your firmware on that PC. You can skip the step of upgrading the firmware unless the last update is the issue in which case you should upgrade the firmware and do the global reset as well to make sure everything is installed properly.

Were you able to download the file from L6 and run it? Once you have the latest software installed (without the Helix connected by USB) then you can connect the USB, make sure you are opening the Updater, not the Editor. Is the Updater seeing your Helix and giving you an option to upgrade to the 2.01 firmware? If so update to the 2.01 firmware version; make sure you back up your presets and IRs before doing a global reset. Make sure you do the global reset after the firmware update. Once you have updated the Firmware to 2.01, your firmware version and the Editor version will be in sync and the Editor will hopefully will be working correctly. The whole trick to getting the Editor working is to make sure you have a working USB connection (some PC hardware is problematic) and that the firmware and Editor version are the same.

Hi HonestOpinion

Thank you for your assistance here.

I have gone to the link you provided above and downloaded what was there.

It is simply called "Helix2.01"  and is 86.51 MB. There is nothing indicating it being an updater or editor.

When I try to open it, all I get is a black page that says "Firmware Version Out Of Date 2.00 or later is required"

The rest of the page is black. There is nothing to click on. No other options.

I seem to be doing everything suggested to no avail. If I can't update the Helix, I'll need to return it.

I am running 10.8.5...maybe it's my computer???

Thanks

Steverts

Hi HonestOpinion

Thank you for your assistance here.

I have gone to the link you provided above and downloaded what was there.

It is simply called "Helix2.01"  and is 86.51 MB. There is nothing indicating it being an updater or editor.

When I try to open it, all I get is a black page that says "Firmware Version Out Of Date 2.00 or later is required"

The rest of the page is black. There is nothing to click on. No other options.

I seem to be doing everything suggested to no avail. If I can't update the Helix, I'll need to return it.

I am running 10.8.5...maybe it's my computer???

Thanks

Steverts

That is the correct byte count, if it is named Helix2.01.dmg that is the correct file. It is a compressed image file (.dmg) so you should be able to unpack/run it. Here is a link on how to open it in case you are unfamiliar with these files (my apologies if you already are). http://www.wikihow.com/Open-DMG-Files

I am a PC owner and not a Mac owner but if you know how to uninstall software on the Mac I would completely uninstall any Line6 or Helix software first and then try installing the Helix application again. On the PC the Helix application is an installer for three things: the Windows driver, the Editor, and the Updater. I am not sure what is contained in the Mac version of the Helix application. Perhaps you don't have all the components from the Helix2.01.dmg file installed. Are there any Mac owners who have seen this message when trying to open/run the Helix app on a Mac?

Once you get this file's contents properly installed you should be able to run the updater and get updated to the proper firmware version. Forgive me for asking but just as a sanity check, what version of the firmware is the Helix showing on the Helix main screen when it boots up? The message you are getting makes it sound like the firmware is not 2.01 but in fact may be an earlier version.

I have full confidence you will be able to get your problem figured out. If the community is not addressing your problem adequately I would contact Line6 customer support directly and have them walk you through a solution. They can be extremely helpful even when you are the second owner of one of their devices.

• Upvote 1

Hi HonestOpinion

My new Helix has version 1.06.5 installed

So I am trying to install the latest version

I will do what you suggested above and report back in 15 minutes

Thanks again

Good luck! Remember, once you have the Helix application properly installed the necessary components on your Mac you will have to run the Updater and upgrade your firmware to the 2.01 version and then run the global reset (reboot after successful firmware install while holding down footswitches 9&10 and then release them when message comes on screen). The 2.01 version of the Editor will not run with the 1.06.5 version of the firmware currently installed on your Helix.

MAN!!!!!

HonestOpinion

Success

I think I must have still had some bits of older line6 downloads still in there.

This time i was very careful to search for everything and get rid of it.

Those files do install automatically on Macs, but mine got buggy and I never saw an "updater"

I love you man

Thank you

I lost my handful of presets, but don't care

Steverts

MAN!!!!!

HonestOpinion

Success

I think I must have still had some bits of older line6 downloads still in there.

This time i was very careful to search for everything and get rid of it.

Those files do install automatically on Macs, but mine got buggy and I never saw an "updater"

I love you man

Thank you

I lost my handful of presets, but don't care

Steverts

Awesome, great news! Congratulations!