Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

can anyone help with a hardshell case for a JTV89F?

I'd like to get a hard shell case for my JTV-89F. Would like a rectangular case with some storage compartments for cables and such but haven't seen many available. About $200 budget. I'd prefer molded inside but not an ABS case.....Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'd like to get a hard shell case for my JTV-89F. Would like a rectangular case with some storage compartments for cables and such but haven't seen many available. About $200 budget. I'd prefer molded inside but not an ABS case.....Any suggestions? Thanks.

Why not an ABS case?

I have a Gator case and it's really good.

I wouldn't worry if it fell out of a truck (standing still of course).

• Downvote 1

Why not go to G&G in downtown Los Angeles? 

GGqualitycase.com

2025 E. 25th Street

Los Angeles, CA 90058

I think this is who makes the cases for the USA JTV-89F. 

I have no idea what it will cost you, however. Ask them. 

Why not an ABS case?

I have a Gator case and it's really good.

I wouldn't worry if it fell out of a truck (standing still of course).

Just a matter of preference. I have a few cases with Tolex outers that match my Helix case and I'd like to keep it the same...

Just a matter of preference. I have a few cases with Tolex outers that match my Helix case and I'd like to keep it the same...

Never thought about that. I've got just over 50 guitars and I've never consciously considered matching everything. 

Though I *will* be ordering the matching luggage with the new Bentley. 

On second thought...

I think I've fallen for the Ferrari instead:

3a966386a40fd098c9ad9d75d7dce8b0_zpsqska

Never thought about that. I've got just over 50 guitars and I've never consciously considered matching everything. 

Though I *will* be ordering the matching luggage with the new Bentley. 

It helps when the wife doesn't notice all the different cases....trust me.

• Upvote 1

It helps when the wife doesn't notice all the different cases....trust me.

THAT's what I've been doing wrong!  

I checked with G&G; they don't stock the JTV89F cases, but they will build you a case (or two or three) for yours. Probably around $225 (which is about what a Mono bag costs at the local GC). They've got an order blank that will allow you to select colors, etc. 

G&G's website doesn't load. It hasn't for the last several hours. Are they still in business?

They can be contacted at info at ggqualitycase.com

Their contact information (besides their web address) is:

G&G Quality Case

2025 E. 25th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90058 USA

Phone | 323.233.2482
Fax | 323.233.4645

I got this from Sarah on the 29th: 

Unfortunately, we don’t keep an inventory of any cases. All cases are made to order. Lead time right now is around 6-8 weeks. Costs will be around $225.00. Since you live in la , you are more than welcome to stop into our factory. I have attached an order form for you to review. if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. 

So yes, they're still in business. The above reply was in answer to a query about a JTV89F case. 

This is the information they'll need (in addition to name, address, shipping, etc.) and these are the options you'll have to choose from (and I have no idea what "poodle" looks like, but "monkey fur" should be self explanatory. If you like, I can visit the factory and ask (and probably take some pictures)):

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-02%20at%207.21.0

I ordered an SKB-66. $130 from GC. The 89 supposedly fits well in this case. I'll report back when it gets delivered on Tuesday.

I got the case today. The JTV89 fits it snug, and it feels secure. The case is very lightweight. Thumbs up!

*** I tried to post pics but I got a message stating that "this site does not allow this image extension".

I tried posting from my Picasa webpage. I guess that's a no godunno.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an SKB-66. The one Rocco talked about. It is a "generic" case but does fit the JTV89F very snugly. Here are three pictures. In what I hope will be picture 1, there are three arrows. The two to the left are where the case fits VERY snugly so it is well protected from side to side movement and up down movement at that position. The third arrow on the right is where it fits very well and also prevents the guitar from sliding up and down. You can see gaps but those aren't a concern because of how snugly and well the body fits in those three places. Then with the case closed, the pressure on the neck prevents that part of the guitar from slipping all over the place. I've looked and priced cases for awhile and if you want a custom fit, you'll need to spend at least $100 more. This is not a perfect fit, but absolutely a very good fit that will protect your JTV89F. Good fit for a relatively good price. You can find cheaper but I haven't found any cheaper that fit as well and appear to be as well protected. I have a JTV69 and when i get home, I'll see how it fits that and report back. Obviously I just got this case so I can't speak to its durability, but I'll report after about a year unless it fails before then.

post-1681-0-75972000-1471983470_thumb.jpg

post-1681-0-68012100-1471983481_thumb.jpg

post-1681-0-86900600-1471983490_thumb.jpg

^^^ Glad you like the case. I am still happy with mine.

You gave a great description and thanks for posting pics. They are illustrative of how the guitar doesn't look like it fits quite right, but in fact is held very securely.

It feels like good case for general use, throwing it in the car for rehearsal and gigs, etc, but I wouldn't trust it with a baggage handler at the airport. :lol:  

^^^ Glad you like the case. I am still happy with mine.

You gave a great description and thanks for posting pics. They are illustrative of how the guitar doesn't look like it fits quite right, but in fact is held very securely.

It feels like good case for general use, throwing it in the car for rehearsal and gigs, etc, but I wouldn't trust it with a baggage handler at the airport. :lol:  

I would have to agree in regard to putting it on a plane. but, like you said, for tossing in the back of the car for a gig...perfect. Thank-you by the way for finding it. It was your post that convinced me to get it. Although I did bring my guitar into Guitar Center where it was delivered, to make absolutely sure it fit the way i wanted it to before I took it home.

• 4 years later...

I'm not a fan of cases with open storage. The Fender ABS Strat/Tele case has a compartment door to keep stuff from rattling around inside your case when it gets moved around. This is my favorite case that I have. I got one for another guitar few years back for like $79 astonishingly. Brand new. Wish I had bought two because now they're $200 new.