Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV with POD tuner -- unsteady

I think this difficulty in tuning with the POD tuner while connected over VDI may be partially due to other noise in the band space.  It seems more steady at home, but I absolutely must be able to tune with accuracy during rehearsals when silence is unlikely.

Am I doing something wrong?  Flip JTV to standard tuning when POD tuner is engaged?  Buy a separate tuner like the ones that clip on the neck?

The signal to the tuner is not affected by exterior noise. Over VDI I don't think it is even converted to analog - I expect it remains digital.

Check the inputs and make sure the tuner is 'listening' only to the JTV.

I have a global setting of 1: variax   2: variax and haven't had any problems with effect clipping due to hotter signal this way.

At home, where the tuner is pretty steady,  I have the Variax VDI cable into the POD, power supply into POD and 1/4 out to powered speaker.  Plus the USB for HDEdit to my laptop.

At gigs and rehearsals it's all the same except no USB.

Seems like the wobbling tuner needle occurs more on the high E and B strings.

I'd consider a headstock tuner but have heard they are also affected by surrounding noise. You can't really go with something like a Boss tuner pedal when your only connection is VDI.

I've been using a clip-on tuner in noisy bars for years. Never had trouble getting in tune.

I've been using a clip-on tuner in noisy bars for years. Never had trouble getting in tune.

I may get one just because tuning is so critical.  But I probably wouldn't want it on the headstock while playing.  This morning I hit the model button to turn off modeling while tuning.  Didn't seems to make much difference.  I cranked up some music while tuning at home today and it wasn't bad so I don't know what the heck goes on with my band other than just volume or frequencies I'm not duplicating at home.

I may get one just because tuning is so critical. But I probably wouldn't want it on the headstock while playing. This morning I hit the model button to turn off modeling while tuning. Didn't seems to make much difference. I cranked up some music while tuning at home today and it wasn't bad so I don't know what the heck goes on with my band other than just volume or frequencies I'm not duplicating at home.

If it's behaving differently at home, perhaps the power is sh*tty at the gig/rehearsal space, etc, and the tuner has a fit as a result...just guessing, who knows?

Electronics do weird things when it suits them...

Snark...or a reasonable substitute if you don't wanna be seen with one...Nine bucks. Problem solved.

Leave it on the headstock, or not. Half the time I forget it's there...though unless you have the stage presence of one of those giant Easter Island heads, it's probably gonna fall off at some point.

"I find that I get easier tuning on my JTV using the Mags - Neck pickup"--- Thank you Charlie,

was hoping someone would say that.

Tuning in Model mode works, tuning in mags mode is better. Toggle in mid position is good too.

It's the way I do it here.

Samson makes a pretty good clip on tuning. Peterson Flip is tops, have one here and I got one

for myself, and a Samson for my classical guitar. Charlie and crusinon2 are right about that a

Peterson Flip is worth it.

If you're getting wobbly tuning, using mags mode would help. If it's still wobbly, then maybe the

pick-up height to the strings need to be checked and/or adjusted.

• Upvote 1

I like the fact that the Petersen only weights 2.9 ounces, although I'm not likely to leave it on while playing.   Pushing the model knob on the JTV every time I want to tune with mags means putting more wear on that, and currently I don't touch any of the guitar knobs except the volume and rarely the tone.   I may try tuning in model mode but picking softer and up closer to the neck to see if that helps on the POD before investing in the Petersen clip-on.