Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x tuner with JTV -- unsteady

Indianrock2020

I thought I'd see if anyone else observes wobbling/unsteadiness in the POD tuner depending on how much other band noise is going on nearby, or when using a guitar with piezo pickups.  I've been noticing it with my james tyler variax.  But at home where it is quieter, not nearly as much.

The only inputs to the POD are the JTV over VDI cable and sometimes effects loop cables going out to an external voice processor box, but that shouldn't have an effect in tuner mode ( I thought ).  And now that i think of it, at rehearsal with no effects loop the background noise still makes the tuner needle bounce around, especially on the high E, B and G.

All I can think of is that the background noise is causing some resonation of your guitar strings which in turn is being picked up by the tuner. Does the background noise still affect the tuner if you mute the strings with your hand?

All I can think of is that the background noise is causing some resonation of your guitar strings which in turn is being picked up by the tuner. Does the background noise still affect the tuner if you mute the strings with your hand?

I'll test that.    I'd consider a headstock tuner but have heard they are also affected by surrounding noise.  You can't really go with something like a Boss tuner pedal when your only connection is VDI.

• 2 weeks later...