Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Create tuning patch or model

I'm having a hard time tuning my JTV 59 with the POD HD500x tuner ( seems more of an issue with significant other noise in the area ).  Short of a headstock tuner, I'm thinking of creating a POD patch that only uses the magnetic pickups on the JTV.  This would require me to change my inputs from global to patch-based since I normally use VDI and modeled guitars only.

Or I create a custom guitar model for tuning that has a 100% magnetic pickup blend.  During rehearsal or a gig this would still mean changing to a patch using that custom model between songs, instead of to the actual patch for the next song.

The questions would be: ( with fresh strings )

1. Is anyone else having issues with tuning using a POD connected to JTV over VDI?

2. If so, is it worse with higher noise levels in the vicinity ( other band members playing etc )

3. Would picking softer, or using a different model make a difference?

4. Have you had any luck with a headstock tuner?

Tough to tune, especially the high E, B, G, when the needle is moving back and forth to the left and right of the two vertical tuning lines on the POD tuner.    I checked my intonation a couple of months ago but maybe time to try again.

I have used a stroboscopic tuner since falling in love with a tube-operated Conn in the early 70s.  There's nothing better for making sense of cases where harmonics alternate slightly sharp and flat.  This seems to be common on a lot of stringed instruments and is likely what's causing the needle to swing both sides of 0 on your tuner.   When I have correct indicated pitch on my current Peterson tuner, the guitar always sounds perfect.  They're a bit more pricey than conventional tuners, but well worth it IMHO.

I've had my 59 for 5 years and my 69S for 4, and have not had problems tuning them in a noisy bar environment with the band playing with the 500, 500X, or now with the Helix. I use the mags 80-90% of the time, so that is what it usually is tuned with. Solid body guitars are usually very good at not being influenced by outside sound. You have to nearly stick it into a speaker to make it feedback...

That's my experience with them and my other electric solidbodies.

Dave

I've had my 59 for 5 years and my 69S for 4, and have not had problems tuning them in a noisy bar environment with the band playing with the 500, 500X, or now with the Helix. I use the mags 80-90% of the time, so that is what it usually is tuned with. Solid body guitars are usually very good at not being influenced by outside sound. You have to nearly stick it into a speaker to make it feedback...

That's my experience with them and my other electric solidbodies.

Dave

Unfortunately, I almost never use the magnetic pickups.  I may have to switch to setting the POD inputs to the "patch by patch basis" so I can create a patch that uses the mags, just for tuning.   Up until now both inputs have been set to Variax.

To clarify, when you have your input set to Guitar In on your HD500(X) or helix, you get only the 1/4" guitar input. If you set Aux, you get only the aux in, if you set Mags, and use the VDI, you get only the JTV mags. If you set Variax, you get models or mags, depending on the state of your JTV. If you have the models on,you get the models, if you have the mags on, you get those. If you save the patch with the models on, it recalls the patch with the model on, and vice versa with the mags. The pedal saves the state of the JTV and remembers it when you choose that patch again. It really works nicely. Sometimes people make things too complicated for themselves...

I set my Helix and my 500(X) on the per preset for the patches. That way, if I have a preset for mags, it pulls up the mags, if I have a model selected with and alternate tuning, like a drop Db, boom it's there.

Dave

I almost never use the mags but have never had any tuning stability issues. Def nothing affected by outside noise. Have you tweaked string volume or something to make the bridge super sensitive? Maybe try moving your hand over the bridge to see if stability changes? That might indicate an issue?

id suggest you have issues somewhere, 

i used my jtv 69 through a pod HD PRO X and have never had any tuning issues, using mags or models.

obvs if you were using a 12 string model that would cause problems, but other wise never had a ny tuning issues, either direct, vdi or wireless.

Can you use the Petersen with a vdi cable ?? Or in pod effects loop?

With VDI directly?  No, since it's a proprietary Line6 interface scheme.  I see no reason why you could not hang one off the effects loop output, but may need to keep the Peterson's input level low to keep it from being overdriven.

Or just get a clip on tuner...even the Snark tuners that everybody loves to make fun of work just fine for quick-tuning between songs. This one of life's rare problems that has a perfectly workable $9 solution...run with it.

I wouldn't try putting a tuner in the FX loop. One, it chews up an FX block. And two, the FX loop on the POD is very noisy. You're just trading one problem for another.