Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to decide between a Line 6 Spider IV 150 and...

Hello Line 6 community. Right now am I am trying to decide on getting either a Line 6 Spider IV 150 2×12, or a used Peavey Valve King ii 50 watt 1×12 tube combo. The reason I narrow it down to these two is primarily budget. The tones I desire are: A great blues/Texas Blues tone when I plug in my Stratocaster, Heavy metal tones when I plug in my Schecter, as well as sparkling cleans and mid gain crunch ala a more Brit Blues sound. Alot to ask for but what is yall's honest recommendation? Any others besides these amps? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

The Valve King is pretty f-ing sweet my man. A TS in front of that with a strat is a winner. A lot depends on the price and how much you want to invest. Tube amps do require periodic maintenance and the Spiders are not everyone's cup of tea.

Besides if needs be I think the Valve King has an FX loop you can put a modeler into so you can abuse the tube power section. \m/

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I ended up buying a used Peavey Valveking from Guitar Center Used online. If it doesn't work properly, I will probably go with the Spider IV 150 212. I have tried the Spider IV 150 212 at my local Guitar Center, and it sounds pretty cool, but when cranked up to gigging levels it doesn't sound very good. Do you guys think this has to do with the stock speakers on the Spider IV 150 212? 

Its a toughie to say regarding the Spider being cranked I have heard that as well but opinions vary. L6 uses some pretty nice speakers IMO. As loud as that puppy gets it will most likely be mic'ed on stage so you just need it for stage volume (and what the soundguy can feed to you).

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I ended up buying a used Peavey Valveking from Guitar Center Used online. If it doesn't work properly, I will probably go with the Spider IV 150 212. I have tried the Spider IV 150 212 at my local Guitar Center, and it sounds pretty cool, but when cranked up to gigging levels it doesn't sound very good. Do you guys think this has to do with the stock speakers on the Spider IV 150 212? 

The presets on the SPider have too much gain and too much bass- if you edit them or create your own it gets loud and sounds good.  Tried a valve king- turn down mids or you get buzz and you will get a good sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will end up purchasing a brand new Spider IV 150 212. I purchased a used Peavey Valveking 212 100 from Guitar Center used. I had to take it back because the input jack didn't even work and the distortion channel didn't even work as well. This is the second used tube amp that i have had problems with, so I am just going to go with the Spider IV 150 212 new. I'm not some in demand professional musician, so this should fit my needs ok. I just want to play along with songs and such. The reason I'm going with the 150 212 is that if I ever want to jam with my buddies I can do so with this power.

I will end up purchasing a brand new Spider IV 150 212. I purchased a used Peavey Valveking 212 100 from Guitar Center used. I had to take it back because the input jack didn't even work and the distortion channel didn't even work as well. This is the second used tube amp that i have had problems with, so I am just going to go with the Spider IV 150 212 new. I'm not some in demand professional musician, so this should fit my needs ok. I just want to play along with songs and such. The reason I'm going with the 150 212 is that if I ever want to jam with my buddies I can do so with this power.

I just bought a vk112 for super cheap - works greak but has a good distortion and good clean- thats it.  You will have no trouble being heard with a spider iv 150 212 if you adjust the volume settings.