Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WOW!

taylorbeats

I thought I had my 500x really tuned well, tried a Helix out at a local shop and came home with one and an Alto speaker.  Just WOW!!, What a difference.  Spent a good time updating the firmware, everything went perfect, just WOW.  Blown away. :D

• Upvote 3

Although I wasn't exactly blown away at first after transitioning from the HD, the more I've explored the Helix the more impressed I am.  The good news is, the endless tweaking required on the HD is over.  It's relatively easy to get a decent tone on pretty much all the amp and fx with the default settings.  But once you dive into the possibilities...that's when the WOW happened for me.

There's still quite a bit I haven't explored yet such as IR's, but I'm not in too much of a hurry for that.  They seem pretty static to me in comparison to the Line 6 cabs with all their adjustability that it may be a while before I feel the need to dive into them.  In fact I would say I spend as much time with the cabs and mics fine tuning the sound as I do the amp.  There's some incredible versatility there so don't be afraid to explore.

By the way, in that regard, don't worry about having separate amp and cab blocks.  Even with the Amp+Cab block you have the ability to change cabs and cab parameters and it saves you a bit of DSP.  Something that wasn't obvious right out of the gate.

Have fun!!!!

• Upvote 2

By the way, in that regard, don't worry about having separate amp and cab blocks.  Even with the Amp+Cab block you have the ability to change cabs and cab parameters and it saves you a bit of DSP.  Something that wasn't obvious right out of the gate.

Does it actually save DSP? I hadn't checked.

Separate blocks do give you a bit more flexibility, like to put processing between them. Don't do that a lot, but I fairly often do put the amp in the top chain and the cab in the bottom one, to split up the DSP load.

"the older you get the younger you feel"

-that's absolutely right!!! I know exactly how it feels!!! (and I'm just 36)

There's gonna come a point where when you're old enough, not only are you going to be old, but feel old too. I don't think I'm there yet (48), but I sure don't feel twenty anymore. Then again, maybe you have the genes of one of these 90+ year old people who can still run a marathon! Lol.

To the topic, when I first got Helix, changing from the HD, I don't remember being blown away. A big improvement for sure, in both features and sound. But now that I've been using Helix for a while, I'd really be at a loss if it suddenly vanished. I'd have to use the HD which would be like having to eat the rotten, maggot infested leftover in the fridge.

• Upvote 2

I also didn't get blown by helix right away. But the sounds I get with minor tweaking and the flexibility really blow me away together with the irs. I still miss the effects that are not in helix from my pod though.

• Upvote 1

There's gonna come a point where when you're old enough, not only are you going to be old, but feel old too. I don't think I'm there yet (48), but I sure don't feel twenty anymore.

48?! You're just a young pup. I'm 67! But after all these years I'm back playing in a good rock band with a bunch of tech professionals just like me (I work for IBM), and having the time of my life. Helix is so flexible and convenient. It's a game changer for guitar modeling processors. I was committed to using S-Gear, but that MIDI pedal, Audio/MIDI interface and computer were just too complicated and unreliable to use live. You need to be paying attention to the audience and the music when playing live, not the gear. Helix just works, all day, every day. A wide range of patches work well. I typically use only one with lots of effects. And Helix effects are way better that most that are available as plugins. BIAS FX distortions effects are pretty good, but many of the others (Octavia, UniVibe, Tremolo) aren't really usable. These same effects in Helix are nearly perfect.

I use three guitars on gigs - a Strat Deluxe with Tom Anderson stacked hum-buckers, my 50 year old Les Paul with Tom Holmes pickups and coil taps, and a Variax Standard that I did a lot of work on. All these into Helix provide a fantastic platform for making great music live without a lot of distractions. Thanks Line6 for a fantastic product.

So bottom line, don't let age be a barrier to living.

• Upvote 6

I still miss the effects that are not in helix from my pod though.

I miss some of the missing effects as well. I could still use the ones from the HD as it's in one of Helix's effect loops, but I hate the thought of making a patch that relies on two devices. Waiting patiently for the next update...

Excellent advice. Simply living happily is a good way to push back against the unstoppable momentum of aging, telling it to lollipop off. Steal some of its energy and use that energy to live even more, challenge yourself, and slow down its process.

• Upvote 1

48?! You're just a young pup. I'm 67! But after all these years I'm back playing in a good rock band with a bunch of tech professionals just like me (I work for IBM), and having the time of my life. ..........

Words of wisdom to my 65 year old ears! When I go, I'm going to go down swinging (attitude, music, and golf!)

Funny diversion in this thread... 63 here. Apropos of keepin' on keepin', one of the (many) bands I was in in high school is having a reunion later this month! Everyone who's still above ground is coming, from all over the country.

I haven't played with or for people in decades, but I've been playing quite a bit lately (by not-pro-any-more standards anyway), really having a blast, and Helix has been a big part of that. Several guys picked it up again just for this, for the first time since graduating from HS. Only one has been doing music professionally all along.

Should be fun, maybe even start some momentum for me to dig up some other folks to play with, see how that feels.

I'm not done yet, not by a long shot!

Any specific ones you'd like to see in Helix?

Since you ask, an auto-volume. Or better yet, an effect block modifier that would allow making a volume block into an auto-volume. Don't know if that possible though.

And a lot of the filters from the HD, like the voice box, seeker or obi wah, growler, and some of the synths.

Any specific ones you'd like to see in Helix?

Since you ask, an auto-volume. 

Auto-volume is my favorite Line 6 effect.  I have an M13, M5 and (several) DL4.  On each, the auto-volume is magical.

If I were head of Line 6 marketing, I would not add it to the Helix because it would cut into sales of the other pedals that have auto-volume.  I hope the head of Line 6 marketing is not as Machiavellian as I am.

So, yeah, auto-volume!  Make the Helix perfect-er.

• 8 months later...

When I upgraded to the Helix from the HD500 the fist thing I noticed was how much easier it was to get a good basic tone. The next thing I noticed was that the Helix felt more like a real amp and that I don't really notice the device any longer (it has just become an extension of my guitar).

If they never released another new product I would be happy until the day I die with the tones I get from my Helix.

-Max