Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with Glenn DeLaune patches I DL'd

justcrash

Hello all! When I first got my HD500X, I purchased a big pack of Mr. Delaune's patches. After messing with them a bit, I finally gave up on them. They all sounded like my L2M's had pillows laying on top of them. I just chalkd it up to "must not be my thing."

I recently purchased a Helix and again, I heard his patches on youtube and read nothing but praise for the fella (and he seems like a really cool guy on his videos). I bit the bullet and bought the big pack-o-patches and am having the exact same issue.

I KNOW this is user error on my end, which is why I am asking for help. Before you say it, yes, I know different pickups, body styles, picking styles etc all matter, but not to this degree. I've been playing for 27 years so I know the difference between my buddy plugging into my rig and sounding different as opposed to what I hear now.

I just downloaded the patches after I bought them and then imported them directly into the Helix. They all show up, but again, sound is completely muffled. As mentioned previously, I am running out of a stage source L2M set up for FRFR.

Please give me some tips if you are able. :)

I'm running into the L2t and it sounds great. It's got to be a setting somewhere. Is your speaker set to PA/Reference? What output signal are you using? Did you try ALL of Glenn's patches? They are different and some sound bassier than others. Some sound great with no tweaking and some need a little. His Bogner patch is one that I didn't tweak at all and liked it. Are you using a regular guitar (not a variax)? Give me as much info as you can and we'll see if we can get through this. Don't start tweaking EQs and stuff yet, I haven't touched my global eq once, so it's not going to be a "block" setting. Most responses will be to tweak the crap out of the thing.

Do you have the IR's loaded?  I believe some of his more recent patches include IR's, but don't quote me on that.   

But in any case.... shoot him a note and ask for help.   He's a stand up guy and supports his product.

You can also contact Glenn directly and he will probably help you too.

Indeed. Glenn is truly a stand up guy. He is one of the nicest people on the whole internet and that's no small accomplishment! I'm pretty sure I have all, if not most, of his HD500x and Helix tones and they mostly sounded great out of the chute. I did have to tweak some others. Someone mentioned adjusting low and high pass filters. This is an excellent place to start. I try to start in the ballpark of 120 Hz for low cut and 6kHz for high cut.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hello all! When I first got my HD500X, I purchased a big pack of Mr. Delaune's patches. After messing with them a bit, I finally gave up on them. They all sounded like my L2M's had pillows laying on top of them. I just chalkd it up to "must not be my thing."

I recently purchased a Helix and again, I heard his patches on youtube and read nothing but praise for the fella (and he seems like a really cool guy on his videos). I bit the bullet and bought the big pack-o-patches and am having the exact same issue.

I KNOW this is user error on my end, which is why I am asking for help. Before you say it, yes, I know different pickups, body styles, picking styles etc all matter, but not to this degree. I've been playing for 27 years so I know the difference between my buddy plugging into my rig and sounding different as opposed to what I hear now.

I just downloaded the patches after I bought them and then imported them directly into the Helix. They all show up, but again, sound is completely muffled. As mentioned previously, I am running out of a stage source L2M set up for FRFR.

Please give me some tips if you are able. :)

First off Thank you so much for your support. I sent you a private message with my contact information. We'll get it sorted out for sure. Thank you again Sir.

• Upvote 1

I can not understand how they can be muffled. I could see too brittle or too boomy (Should not be issues there either but that would be more common with various setup differences) but muffled makes no sense to me. I am sure Gkenn will get you fixed up. He is really willing to help people. Try other guitars as mentioned. Try a different speaker. If it is be same setup you used with the HD than it most likely has do with the rig.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Glenn reached out to me privately as well and I've responded. So cool when someone is a nice person, someone I consider to be a celebrity in my world, at least. :)

Someone asked about the IRs, I have none.

• Upvote 1