Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

500x + DT50

CantStopRockin

Hi

I have some questions about combination of pod hd and dt 50. I spent last few days to find solution on Line 6 support and google as well but there is no one or solution is not quite clear for me( english is not my native language) So.. i am trying to find some expert or people with an experience of pod hd 500x. I have read manuals and very helpful guide form guy called MeAmBobbo but stil have some question. So if You will find some time and would You like to share your knowledge about 500X i will be very very grateful.

1) Like i said i have 500x and dt50 head plus cab. The problem is i do not know what output use? I found on google that if You will conect dt50 to your pod, dt50 setup straigh away for STACK PWR AMP but i found as well suggestion it;'s good to set for STUDIO/DIRECT. I checked this and it's sounds much better then stack pwr amp so the question is: What should i do? and which one option is good for me?

2) i have some problems with understanding EQ. I do not know how should i ask You question but... The Guitar, amp and EQ should be base for any patch. I would like to play something in my house, practic with band, record something... SO !! question is :) How many diffrent, which one (global eq some extra eq) i have to use? and how to "build" that?

SO far i have only 2 question.  :)  i hope i haven't insolt anyone buy my weird questions. Seriously i spent hours to find something... But i have no much time ( small evil boy - my son) and technology is so advanced..... So thank You for Your efforts guys  :)

I would connect using L6 link so you don't need to worry too much about the setting.

Overall though, just use your ears. The one that is good for you is the one that sounds best.

Setting up patches for different uses/volumes is hard (without running at the volume and in the space you would normally use).

Again, experiment. Download a bunch of tones from Customtone and then tweak these to sound as you want. Try and do the tweaking at the volume and in the room you will use it.

I would have a bank of tones (the same) for each use - house, practice & recording (you could also record direct from the pod). This way you can start with 'the same tone' then tweak it to how you like it for the volume you will use it at.

Generally I would play with the amp EQ depending on volume use (I'm assuming the house volume will be a lot quieter than the practice). I would then maybe use Global EQ if I was playing in different rooms (at the same volume) to take account of change of room size/shape.

Hope this helps!

As suggested above:

1) The best is that you use the L6 LINK Connection,  or...

You can try to use the 4 cable method. (Search it on youtube). Use output STACK PWRAMP, switch to "STOMP", 1/4 input should be "AMP", add an FX LOOP block after the MIXER. Add +3db on each path of the mixer (to level your gain). And start trying... 

2) It is not necessary to create a "base" tone using EQ's. You can start only with an AMP. After that, if you need to color your tone you can use an EQ. Check this video: 

You can try the "Parametric EQ" to start, it is very simple (Even when the knobs are in %... if you check the video above you can understand more). If you are reading the MeAmBobbo guide, you may also check this section to know how to set your EQ in the way you want to sound: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq 

BR

Hi

I have some questions about combination of pod hd and dt 50. I spent last few days to find solution on Line 6 support and google as well but there is no one or solution is not quite clear for me( english is not my native language) So.. i am trying to find some expert or people with an experience of pod hd 500x. I have read manuals and very helpful guide form guy called MeAmBobbo but stil have some question. So if You will find some time and would You like to share your knowledge about 500X i will be very very grateful.

1) Like i said i have 500x and dt50 head plus cab. The problem is i do not know what output use? I found on google that if You will conect dt50 to your pod, dt50 setup straigh away for STACK PWR AMP but i found as well suggestion it;'s good to set for STUDIO/DIRECT. I checked this and it's sounds much better then stack pwr amp so the question is: What should i do? and which one option is good for me?

2) i have some problems with understanding EQ. I do not know how should i ask You question but... The Guitar, amp and EQ should be base for any patch. I would like to play something in my house, practic with band, record something... SO !! question is :) How many diffrent, which one (global eq some extra eq) i have to use? and how to "build" that?

SO far i have only 2 question.  :)  i hope i haven't insolt anyone buy my weird questions. Seriously i spent hours to find something... But i have no much time ( small evil boy - my son) and technology is so advanced..... So thank You for Your efforts guys  :)

I have a DT25 and Pod HD500. I use the Line 6 cable to connect to the amp, then set the Output Mode to Studio/Direct. This allows full use of all the cabinet and mic modeling parameters. (If I read correctly, these are actual IR models.) When you use the Stack or Combo output mode, the cabinet is just an EQ applied to the signal. I find the S/D mode to sound much better, less veiled than the EQ models.

Thank You guys for all good advice. I found some time and spent more time on reading any valuable information but still i have some question if You don't mind:

1)When i switch ON my amp i can see output mode is changing straight away on STACK PWR AMP should i keep this output mode or change for studio/direct? i checked both and for me S/D sound much better

2)I found some video on YT

dude  is saying to use only PREAMP models and switch off CAB modulation. Well it's sound logic. But what should i do when i want to record something? Change for combo and studio/direct? or Stayed with Stack Pwr Amp and PRE amp model?

3) Like i said i've been watching a lot of video on YT and I think that was one of Line 6 dudes who shows POD 500x can be use as  a footswitch for DT50. I hope that wasn't my imagination.... 

If You be so kind help me please with my question. I am closer than further to start doing something. It's very advanced device.

I deal with Link 6 which i am very grateful for You helpl. And i decide to stayed with only amp EQ. SO far sounds ok. But it will change probably when i start record something.

So one more time thank You for your, effort,time and patient :) I'm an idiot :)

• 2 weeks later...

1)When i switch ON my amp i can see output mode is changing straight away on STACK PWR AMP should i keep this output mode or change for studio/direct? i checked both and for me S/D sound much better

It depends. STACK PWR AMP is recommended if you connect your POD into an AMP. What happens is that you will loose the Cab/Mic Simulation. (I use a Marshall AMP with the 4 cable method, and my setting is always STACK PWR AMP)

2)I found some video on YT

dude  is saying to use only PREAMP models and switch off CAB modulation. Well it's sound logic. But what should i do when i want to record something? Change for combo and studio/direct? or Stayed with Stack Pwr Amp and PRE amp model?

If you use only the PREAMP MODEL is because you have a good amp (or your classic preferred amp) and you don't want to loose that sound at all. That is why the PREAMP models are available, to not color your tone at all with MIC/CAB/A.I.R/E.R. etc. 

Now, if you want to record something, it is not necessary to change to Combo, Studio, PWR AMP, etc. It depends on how are you going to record your guitar. If you go to a professional studio, the guy there will suggest to put a dynamic microphone in front of your amp to get the real tone (A SM57 MIC for example). But if you record in your home using the USB cable, probably you will need to switch to Studio/Direct, to get all the AMP Sims/MIC/CAB/etc. You must keep in mind that every time you switch the output to Studio/PWR AMP/Combo, etc... your sound will change!!!! this means double work for you because you have to adjust your patches or have a copy of each one in different output modes.

3) Like i said i've been watching a lot of video on YT and I think that was one of Line 6 dudes who shows POD 500x can be use as  a footswitch for DT50. I hope that wasn't my imagination....  

I think you can do it using MIDI, I don't have the experience on that but you can check this post: http://line6.com/support/topic/17082-how-do-i-command-my-dt-via-midi/ 

Regards!