Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots and Instand Commands - strange things happening

pdkellett

Just updated to 2.01.

I've gone into a preset of mine which defaults to Snapshot 1. Opened up Command centre and selected an instant command to send a midi command to my amp channel switcher - channel 1, program 2. Hit save.

I then change preset. And then I go back to the preset I just setup as described above.

When the preset loads it defaults to snapshot 1 and I can see my amp controller receive the midi command but then it's like the controller receives a second midi command from somewhere which overrides my first program 2 command (it seems to receive a program 1 command from the Helix) But i have no other commands programmed in anywhere. THere is nothing connected to USB, no DAW that might be sending midi commands either.

If I then select snapshot 2 (no instant commands setup for this), and then switch back to snapshot 1 - the amp controller receives the instant command fine and all works normally.

Don't understand what could be causing this to have problems when selecting the preset initially, but works ok when going from a snapshot in that preset to snapshot 1.

Any ideas?

It seems to work ok in some other presets too, but not all.

• Upvote 1

Go to Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo and under knob 4, MIDI PC Send/Receive, change this to "off". This will prevent the Helix from sending the default PC messages when you change presets, which is what you're experiencing now.

I think you might be having the same problem I had with 2.0 which reset my global settings

- the Helix is auto sending a PC when you select a new preset..

Preset 001 sends PC1... these PC messages seem to be sent after the Snapshot PC messages, so they appear to override the Snapshot PCs.

You need to go to Global Settings / MIDI/Tempo and switch Knob 4 "MIDI PC Send/Receive" to Off

EDIT.  I think Phil M helped me before as well :)

No, it's so those not well-versed in MIDI can daisychain a bunch of MIDI-equipped pedals, select a preset, tweak all the pedals, save their settings, and that's all that needs to happen.

You may be right that that setting should be off by default. What say y'all?

The way it's working at the moment - yes MIDI send should be off by default.    MIDI receive??... not sure about that maybe on is best default.

It would be good to split the send and receive as stephane suggests.

Also I think maybe the PC message sending order should be reversed, so that Helix sends the auto PC first when the Preset is recalled, and then sends any Instant messages within the Preset / Snapshot afterwards.

I don't know about the default value it should have, but to me the problem is if you turn it off (if I'm not mistaken), Helix doesn't obey anymore to PC commands.

So, shouldn't it be splitted in two options, "Midi PC Send (On/Off)" and "Midi PC Receive (On/Off)"?

(and I think "MIDI PC Send" should be Off by default to prevent the things that are talked about in this post, but "MIDI PC Receive" should be On by default.)

Exactly this.

I guess I don't have strong feelings about what the default should be... The way it is now is actually pretty common with other MIDI gear, at least in my experience. I think every keyboard I have works this way by default. Perhaps making it so there's a separate setting for MIDI send and receive makes some sense, although it might be a moot point. Does the Helix still send out the default PC message when you call up a preset via MIDI? I've never looked into it.