Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix headphone output, volume, etc

richardantonelli

Question...

I recently tried using the headphones out as another output, a separate output, to my singer's IEM setup so I could give him a different volume control. I already use the XLR outs to FOH (with global EQ attached for levels) and the 1/4" to my CLR on stage (with the big volume knob for my own stage volume).

My kemper allowed me to run the direct out to his setup and be able to set it however he wanted volume-wise. I wanted to try that using the headphones out but something was off. The sound was completely different...in a bad way. It sounded like 2 seconds or so behind what I was playing. A pretty bad lag. The sound was also not right as it sounded like it was in a glass bottle. I then tried normal headphones and got the same thing. Is there a setting or something for this? After trying a different set of headphones, it was better but the sound was definitely still not great or even close to what I should be hearing.

I use 1/4in to feed my stage amp, XLRs (with a Helix cab) to FOH - and headphones for late night home practice.

I found it was important to choose "XLR" as my Headphones Monitor (Global Settings / Page 3 / Knob 4) - if it was set to Multi there would be a bit of nasty phase cancellation as the 1/4in and XLRs are sending slightly different things due to the cab block.

• Upvote 1

I use 1/4in to feed my stage amp, XLRs (with a Helix cab) to FOH - and headphones for late night home practice.

I found it was important to choose "XLR" as my Headphones Monitor (Global Settings / Page 3 / Knob 4) - if it was set to Multi there would be a bit of nasty phase cancellation as the 1/4in and XLRs are sending slightly different things due to the cab block.

I will try this. So this won't affect the XLR FOH levels by using the headphone knob? I send cabs to 1/4" and XLR so I shouldn't be getting a phase issue but now that you mention it, the bad sound I'm hearing is similar to that...