Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Heavy duty music stand ≈ Helix stand?

zooey

Has anyone tried a fairly heavy duty music stand to raise your Helix up to standing edit height? Seems easily transportable, height and tilt adjustable, but maybe not strong or stable enough, Helix isn't super light. Guess it depends on the particular one you're looking at. There's one on sale at GC for some number of hours more.

Any other ideas? Mine's currently on a cheapo rolling plastic drawers thingy, but I'd like to move Helix into the middle of the room, at least sometimes, and maybe take it some places out of the house too, but not on that.

I just tried my putting my Helix on my Proline GMS80A.  The base gets nice and wide for stability.  You really tighten down the knob under the holder though to keep it from tilting.  

Everything seems stable enough, but it still makes me nervous ;)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/proline-gms80a-conductor-sheet-music-stand

20160802_110805.jpg

I just tried my putting my Helix on my Proline GMS80A. The base gets nice and wide for stability. You really tighten down the knob under the holder though to keep it from tilting.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/proline-gms80a-conductor-sheet-music-stand

20160802_110805.jpg

Probably OK unless you have:

1) Kids.

2) A dog.

or

3) You're spastic...;)

I would want something at least this sturdy and it rolls. Putting a Helix on a standard music stand in anything but a corner in your studio with no chance someone will knock it over is the only way I would even consider putting my Helix on a typical music stand. A music stand just seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

UPDATE: Deleted the link I had in here previously as that stand was not wide enough for the Helix according to its dimensions and someone who had tried it. I own the On-Stage model in the link in DunedinDragon's post above.

Update: Looks like DunedinDragon already posted this, good to know it fits well because that is exactly what I would use. I used to have a Fractal parked up on one of these and it works great. Just make sure when you use this you have it in tight and have all the pivot points tightened down properly and perhaps have a couple of pieces of rubber for extra grip on the sides because if the top swivel part tips over in the wrong direction there are no tabs to keep the Helix from falling out. The stand tightens down on the sides however more than adequately to prevent this, particularly with a couple of rubber strips to help out with extra traction and the pivot has a huge knob for tightening it down allowing gravity to always keep the Helix resting on the large restraining tabs on the bottom side. You just want to make sure the sides are tight enough that even if the pivot gets loose the Helix can't flip out or if someone trips over an attached cord they can't yank the Helix out.

post-2287523-0-10650100-1470164692_thumb.jpg

Has anyone tried a fairly heavy duty music stand to raise your Helix up to standing edit height? Seems easily transportable, height and tilt adjustable, but maybe not strong or stable enough, Helix isn't super light. Guess it depends on the particular one you're looking at. There's one on sale at GC for some number of hours more.

Those MG deluxe stands are usually on-sale either at MF or GC pretty regularly.  For the money when they are on-sale they are hard to beat and I have 3 of them.

That being said, I would not be willing to put a helix on one of them for an extended period of time.  They are not strong enough for that.  It might be OK if you were going to put it on the stand for a few minutes to do some editing and then put it back on the floor right afterwards but I would never walk away from it.

This is what I use for my Helix at home.  It expands just large enough to fit the Helix in snuggly.  They're available at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-MIX400-Mixer-Stand/dp/B000RXN6XI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470164420&sr=8-3&keywords=rolling+mixer+stand

61J7qYxNjSL._SL1200_.jpg

I have the same one, and it's stable and sturdy enough to hold the Helix and a cat that likes to jump up on it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Probably OK unless you have:

1) Kids.

2) A dog.

or

3) You're spastic... ;)

Or your wife has a habit of running into the attached cords with the vacuum cleaner.   :unsure:   

My Helix spent it's first 6 months on a music stand with only the above mentioned tip-over.  No damage though as it landed on soft padded carpet.

That On-Stage thing looks great, pretty much purpose-built for stuff like this. More money than I wish, but so's Helix, and you definitely want it taken care of... OTOH, maybe I won't do anything right now if that's what it costs, not feeling super flush ATM.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

And use a stand for my laptop? That works too.

Though for many things, I actually find working on the Helix itself to be faster. That's at least partly because I didn't want to become reliant on having a computer around, so I don't use the editor that much on purpose, mostly for backup, upgrades, and IRs.

You're right that Helix time, in a "trying to make life better" sense, is ideally a mix of patch building and using it the way you're actually going to on stage, i.e., on the floor, with your feet. I worry about not spending enough time doing that, but I can't stop having patch ideas...

For me it's just a matter of having it where it's easier to work with it when I'm dialing in patches, saving them, recalling them...etc.

When I'm rehearsing or playing with the band it's on the floor.  But dialing things in is easier when it's up where I can deal with it because I really don't like using the editor for such things.  It also comes in handy when I want to roll it over to hook into my other computer that houses the DAW.

That On-Stage thing looks great, pretty much purpose-built for stuff like this. More money than I wish, but so's Helix, and you definitely want it taken care of... OTOH, maybe I won't do anything right now if that's what it costs, not feeling super flush ATM.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

UPDATE: Don't get this one, it is too narrow for the Helix.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B003R7KUNA

On 8/3/2016 at 6:10 PM, PierM said:

This last does not fit the Helix. Tried myself in a store. :)

Thanks for the heads up!  You are absolutely correct, I double-checked the dimensions and the expansion on the upper rack is an inch too narrow on this one. I am removing this reference from my posts. Looks like the Onstage model or some other alternative is the way to go and is also the one I have.

• Like 1

I will say this, I once used a pretty heavy duty music notation stand like the one in a previous post for my Maschine Studio (bulky, but not as heavy as the Helix). Seemed really solid. Tightened the tilt control knob as much as I could and seemed stable. Over time the thing must have loosened because without warning one day the top of the stand just swiveled back ad the Maschine slid off, cracking one of the screens. Was one of those 'three days of not finding anything in life pleasing' moments. Will not take that chance with the Helix.

I bought a laptop stand, fixed top and on wheels. Not as portable as some other options but 1000% stable. I use it mainly in my studio as I spend 50% of the time with the helix on the floor for use and 50% at an elevated state for editing (that damned Mac\Editor freeze is not fixed and makes it a non option for me).   

I will say this, I once used a pretty heavy duty music notation stand like the one in a previous post for my Maschine Studio (bulky, but not as heavy as the Helix). Seemed really solid. Tightened the tilt control knob as much as I could and seemed stable. Over time the thing must have loosened because without warning one day the top of the stand just swiveled back ad the Maschine slid off, cracking one of the screens. Was one of those 'three days of not finding anything in life pleasing' moments. Will not take that chance with the Helix.

I bought a laptop stand, fixed top and on wheels. Not as portable as some other options but 1000% stable. I use it mainly in my studio as I spend 50% of the time with the helix on the floor for use and 50% at an elevated state for editing (that damned Mac\Editor freeze is not fixed and makes it a non option for me).   

The laptop stand sounds like a great alternative!  Any one in particular?

The scenario you described is exactly what I was warning about in my post above.  Again, if anyone uses the Onstage stand take a couple of rubber strips and put them between the side rails and the Helix and then tighten down enough to make sure that if the top of the stand ever swivels the Helix cannot fall out. I suppose heavy duty Velcro strips on the side rails (bottom & sides) could be another way of securing it.

This is what I use for my Helix at home.  It expands just large enough to fit the Helix in snuggly.  They're available at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-MIX400-Mixer-Stand/dp/B000RXN6XI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470164420&sr=8-3&keywords=rolling+mixer+stand

61J7qYxNjSL._SL1200_.jpg

Did you have to modify it to get the helix to fit?

I picked one up but was not able to get the Helix into it.  It is about 1/2" too small.

Did you have to modify it to get the helix to fit?

I picked one up but was not able to get the Helix into it.  It is about 1/2" too small.

With the wings pulled full out the Helix fits, tight, but it fits.  I've had mine for quite a long time though.  I wonder if they changed the dimensions.

With the wings pulled full out the Helix fits, tight, but it fits.  I've had mine for quite a long time though.  I wonder if they changed the dimensions.

Hmm...I got it to fit but I had to remove the knob altogether on one side to get it to fit.  I wonder if that makes it less stable.  The side doesn't seem to be removable even without the knob.

Did you get the On-Stage or the Quik-Lok model? The Quik-Lok model is about half an inch too small.

The On-Stage MIX400

• Upvote 1

Hmm...I got it to fit but I had to remove the knob altogether on one side to get it to fit.  I wonder if that makes it less stable.  The side doesn't seem to be removable even without the knob.

The On-Stage MIX400

The current version of the Mix400 says the max width is 22" and the Helix is 22.05" so I can see where that would be a tight fit. The Helix is 5 100ths of an inch wider than the current spec on the On-Stage.You might be able to notch the screw in the knob where it meets the brace with a dremel and get the extra 5 100ths you need. A shame the tolerance is that close.

I do not mind sitting the unit up for preset development but not using the wahs and foot switches to change tones without my hands would be impairing. Some great wahs in this puppy and expression pedal stuff, I suppose you could add more expression pedals but for me that aspect is merely a developmental stage. 

Yep. It sure is less robust - it's designed for a small mixer and 19" rack mount equipment.

I went with a cheap temporary option - an old snare stand. Don't think it would be tough enough on the road, but for just me and studio tracking - it's fine.

The current version of the Mix400 says the max width is 22" and the Helix is 22.05" so I can see where that would be a tight fit. The Helix is 5 100ths of an inch wider than the current spec on the On-Stage.You might be able to notch the screw in the knob where it meets the brace with a dremel and get the extra 5 100ths you need. A shame the tolerance is that close.

Yeah, in practice it is definitely more than a .05" off.  Maybe they are including the width of the outer bars?

That being said, it seems to be working fine with the knob removed.  It doesn't seem any less stable.  It would take a pretty decent force to remove that piece even without the knob and since it is only being used in a home environment for me it shouldn't be a big issue.

I do not mind sitting the unit up for preset development but not using the wahs and foot switches to change tones without my hands would be impairing. Some great wahs in this puppy and expression pedal stuff, I suppose you could add more expression pedals but for me that aspect is merely a developmental stage. 

I do have an external expression pedal but the bigger issue is that I just got mine recently so I am early in the stages of playing with it so I am fiddling with it a lot.  In the long run, I will probably put it on the floor and put a laptop in the stand for editing.

• 1 year later...

Just took delivery of the OnStage Stands MIX400 this weekend. Notwithstanding the published dimensions which indicate that the Stand's maximum arm width is a tiny bit too small to accomodate the Helix Floor, the Helix Fits -- Perfectly! This is due to the way the sides of the Helix are radiused. They curve inwards as they approach the base of the Helix. The curvature is just right to fit in the side rails of the OnStage MIX400. At the $65 price Amazon is once again currently selling them, this is a great way to go. When these jumped up at $119 (as they were for most of 2017), the price was excessive. I'm almost considering getting another one for my Allen and Heath Mixer. Hmmmm....?

• 3 years later...
On 8/2/2016 at 12:09 PM, roscoe5 said:

I just tried my putting my Helix on my Proline GMS80A.  The base gets nice and wide for stability.  You really tighten down the knob under the holder though to keep it from tilting.  

20160802_110805.jpg

Do you have like a plastic or "something cover" over the helix for protection?

Thank you. 

I tried several music stands when I first got the Helix.  Eventually, I just learned to use HX edit -- it's a lot more efficient to use the computer editor.  That's just my 2c -- know how to set up the Helix from the unit itself, in case you need to modify any presets/snapshots.  At home, use the editor.  Otherwise, you risk dropping it... A laptop is a lot lighter and therefore would be a better option to put on a sturdy music stand for editing when standing.