Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If you don't like how fuzzes sound in Helix please vote for my idea.

Paolo_Maina

I like the fuzzes in Helix, specially the last one they added (I have the real thing, stock, not modded, and I love it), so I'm all for new fuzzes, as long as the ones already there remain as they are.
I use my FZ-2 (the one you refer to as being only noise) on mode 1 (in Helix "mode 0") with the gain at mínimum position.
Mine has been set that way since I got it.

In the first place I stopped using fuzz as a teenager and do not find them useful much except for weird buzzed out passages. Overdrives for me are the ball game. If you must do a fuzz, for the love of god stop with the model mimic of cheese pedals. Yeah I had a Big Muff when I was 17, really. If you must copy something how about a Wampler Velvet Fuzz. For me expanding on the quality of the Timma and Klon is more important. Copies of cheese pedals I used before I had any money to get good gear is at best for me a regression in my playing I do not wish to journey. How about the DarkArts Pharaoh fuzz, anything but the usual cheese fest which I hated with the whole POD thing. Give me well designed versatile adjust tweaking for anything and you can call it what you like. I would rather have a few really great sounding things than a hundred cheese fest non musical to anyone but teenagers. The Helix promises to be more of a pro high end thinkers unit do not turn it into POD thing. If they want that then go get one. I am hoping the HELIX arriving later this week has the potential I think it does much less to farm out to better drives and such else like my POD phase which will never be revisited, the tone marches on. 

Concentrate more on the amps, cabs, EQs, delays and reverbs anything cheese box someone can loop it out. How about Shimmer reverb guys while I do love some of the Line6 renderings. Development in that direction over copies of crappy pedals is time better spent. But what I do I know I left being a stupid teenager with no money behind a long time past. 

In the first place I stopped using fuzz as a teenager and do not find them useful much except for weird buzzed out passages. Overdrives for me are the ball game. If you must do a fuzz, for the love of god stop with the model mimic of cheese pedals. Yeah I had a Big Muff when I was 17, really. If you must copy something how about a Wampler Velvet Fuzz. For me expanding on the quality of the Timma and Klon is more important. Copies of cheese pedals I used before I had any money to get good gear is at best for me a regression in my playing I do not wish to journey. How about the DarkArts Pharaoh fuzz, anything but the usual cheese fest which I hated with the whole POD thing. Give me well designed versatile adjust tweaking for anything and you can call it what you like. I would rather have a few really great sounding things than a hundred cheese fest non musical to anyone but teenagers. The Helix promises to be more of a pro high end thinkers unit do not turn it into POD thing. If they want that then go get one. I am hoping the HELIX arriving later this week has the potential I think it does much less to farm out to better drives and such else like my POD phase which will never be revisited, the tone marches on. 

Concentrate more on the amps, cabs, EQs, delays and reverbs anything cheese box someone can loop it out. How about Shimmer reverb guys while I do love some of the Line6 renderings. Development in that direction over copies of crappy pedals is time better spent. But what I do I know I left being a stupid teenager with no money behind a long time past. 

Wait, you're saying the Big Muff is cheesy?

I beg to differ...

Exhibit A

smashing-pumpkins-siamese-dream.jpg?itok

• Upvote 1

Wait, you're saying the Big Muff is cheesy?

I beg to differ...

Exhibit A

Siamese Dream is still in my top 5 7 albums of all time along with Deftones' White Pony, Mr. Bungle's California, Curve's Doppelgänger, Failure's Fantastic Planet, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Radiohead's Kid A.

I don't hear any fuzz but it depends what you're looking for. If you add a distortion pedal and add lots of distortion you'll probably hear some fuzz ;-) But thats the same with regular pedals and amps too.

@WickedFinger

I find the Minotaur and Teemah! are very good models and those are the two I use the most. What is it you find it needs more quality in them?

Huh. We've had a ton of people say our fuzzes weren't extreme enough. Which real fuzz pedals should we add to our list, Paolo?  :)

ONE OF THE BEST OF COURSE: (the first is my favourite, i own a real FuzzHead is a great pedal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d16HG-TSuW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77g9ml6t5rM

Because, obviously you're tone tastes are exactly what everyone should be reaching for and explains why I'm picking up your signature guitars and OD pedals from all those boutique manufacturers......

Not trying to discourage anyone from giving ideas, but I think this thread kind of shows the problem with modeling fuzzes, though. Today, there are hundreds of varieties of fuzz pedals on the market, and for some reason, pedal builders keep on coming out with new ones (I think a big part of that is that fuzzes and ODs are some of the easier circuits to build and manipulate and alter). It just seems like Line 6 could spend a lot of time chasing its tail trying to model many of these.

I personally think the FZ-2 model they included in the 2.0 update is a thing of beauty. Seriously - spend some time with it if you haven't. I like it better than many of the real fuzz pedals I've owned.

• Upvote 1

Please no more fuzz. And for those who hate the "boutique" thing when I said the Muff was cheese, FYI the cheap things you buy from EH are light years away from the original that Gilmour used and made sound good. You have to get the boutique versions if you want the better original components or god forbid they should improve the design of its half century low tech issues. Cheap and low class is a way of life, don't hate me because I am pretty.

The point of boutique level pedals is not just paying a higher price it is an improvement and better design of the circuit. Why does anyone imagine there have been thousands of mods on the tubescreamer circuit, would you believe they are trying to improve it?

What the Helix has is enough for my limited use and I have some outboard stuff if I need it. 

I just do not want the Helix dumbed down, with cheese effects that are really not very good or musically useful, keep the POD and M stuff where it is and if any like that, more power to you, buy that instead. Keep the Helix on a higher shelf of quality and sound. L6 should improve on the delays and reverbs which is not to say they are not good and despite some of the comments elsewhere they are copied from the POD HD as I read. Not that those were bad, to me it was the best that unit had to offer. Personally, and I mean me, I have no use for the POD thing, been there, done that, took it as far as it could go. Looking forward to the Helix. I know they intend amp models for high gain but there is nothing wrong with a quality high gain for clean amps. And by that I mean NOT a cheese version of a Metal Zone with just basic tone controls. Model a Wampler Pinnacle on vintage and modern, amazing pedal. Fuzz is primarily a single note thing, no articulation, or note definition, a nicely engineered high gain is amp like in feel and quality. Each has their moments and use. 

I am all about more amps on the Helix but wondering just what is the theoretical limit on how many they can do? Does not bother me to have just a few that really sound amazing verses those that do not. Cleaner amps are as important to me as any high gainer. Modeling seems to do well on super clean and super gained up but the mid ground is where it is hard to render that edge of breakup and a little hair around the notes which is true tube response. 

L6 should improve on the delays and reverbs which is not to say they are not good and despite some of the comments elsewhere they are copied from the POD HD as I read.

The delays on the Helix are all new. The reverbs were ported over from the HD series, but they're not exactly copied. They were ported over from the HD series, yes, but they are a bit more detailed sounding, imo.

Not trying to discourage anyone from giving ideas, but I think this thread kind of shows the problem with modeling fuzzes, though. Today, there are hundreds of varieties of fuzz pedals on the market, and for some reason, pedal builders keep on coming out with new ones (I think a big part of that is that fuzzes and ODs are some of the easier circuits to build and manipulate and alter). It just seems like Line 6 could spend a lot of time chasing its tail trying to model many of these.

I personally think the FZ-2 model they included in the 2.0 update is a thing of beauty. Seriously - spend some time with it if you haven't. I like it better than many of the real fuzz pedals I've owned.

Please post an audio demo or video where you achieve the musical and creamy sound of Keeley PSI fuzz using a Fuzz inside Helix and I will believe you.

The problem with helix fuzzes is that they sound only at max If you try to tame them they sound bad.

A pedal like this that is an Hybrid fuzz/distortion should be great.

This is great sound...not like blowing a raspberry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77g9ml6t5rM

"Hi, I'm Andy, with Pro Guitar Shop... " and that's the way the most GASsing videos ever begin.

What a pedal can sound like in the hands of Andy should not be considered as evidence of what the rest of us can do with it.
It's simply dishonest :D

I've heard him do well with a DS-1... I wonder what he might be able to do with a Metal Zone!

...and now that i have your attention Digital Igloo.

this should be another great add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ueYEg3-xo4

I wanted to call this one out because I think it might be low hanging fruit.  I've had one for many years (just sold it recently) and the Line6 comes so close with a couple of the choices that it just seems add a little depth to one, or a little color to another and your there.   I don't recall which ones I tried off the top of my head, but I remember that was my reaction...  If this one just had more depth, or this one had more color, or this one had more speed, etc..  

• Upvote 1

That Keeley Blacktop sounds seriously awesome to me, would love that in Helix. Can't say as it reminds me at all of a Big Muff, a fairly trashed one of which I have in my Box O' Stuff, but that's a good thing. The Big Muff of my memories was great for vowel-y long sustain distortion, which the Triangle does too, but I'd never have used it for the kind of organic amp-like distortion I hear from the Blacktop in those vids. (Especially the one from Keeley himself. He's clearly got quite some feel himself as a player...)

Maybe I missed the boat with that, will have to check the Triangle in that light, but I'm not expecting great things.