Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Differing neck and body profiles in JTV-59

Greetings !!!!

I purchased a JTV-59 back in 2013. I was playing a 59 in a local music store the other day and it had a much nicer and thinner neck profile, and the profile of the top was much different too. Anyone notice this who owns an older model and has been able to play more recent and current ones ? I do realize they will all feel a bit different, but these were very big differences in neck and body profile  ( all good ones too ). Perhaps Line 6 was listening to user feedback and making tweaks as they went along the last few years. Thoughts ? 

Cheers !!!

Yours looks like it's from around the same time as mine. Nice.

The specs haven't changed. There will be a certain variation

from batch to batch. Some feel lighter, others feel more solid and

heavy. Part of it may be the way the top coat is lay-down.

Both of my 59's are from separate early batches and there is a

slight difference between them. I work on JTV's all day, serviced

around 800 of these, so I've seen all the nuances over time.

The nuances are within the tolerances, but the specs haven't changed.

Also, there are US built ones as well, and have a feel all their own,

and still stay within specs.

Hey thanks for the response !!! I suspected that might be the case. That one I played at the music store the other day played soooooooo much nicer than mine. So much more that  I'm thinking I might trade my current one in and put it towards a Helix, and buy that one at the store seeing as its not a new profile spec and is a "special one" that I likely won't find one that nice again.

Cheers !!!

I've a JTV59, 2011 model. If you manage to measure the neck profile at first fret and 12th we could check if they are the same.

Mine is 7cm(2.5") at first fret and 8,2cm(3.22") at 12th fret. Measured in the middle, between frets, from edge to edge.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't want to measure edge to edge. You want to measure the depth of the neck profile from the face of the fret board to the back side of the neck where your hand rubs. I've had my '69 for a few weeks but haven't measured the neck profile yet. I'll do that soon and post what I get. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for, so I'm interested to see how it measures. I keep a log of all of my guitars so I can compare them.

I now own two JTV-59 guitars

one in Cherry Burst and the other in Tobacco brown sunburst

both have very similar fat neck profiles  - which as a long time Les Paul player I prefer  

You don't want to measure edge to edge. You want to measure the depth of the neck profile from the face of the fret board to the back side of the neck where your hand rubs. I've had my '69 for a few weeks but haven't measured the neck profile yet. I'll do that soon and post what I get. It's a little chunkier than I was hoping for, so I'm interested to see how it measures. I keep a log of all of my guitars so I can compare them.

Yep you're right.

Btw, neck of the JTV59, at least mine, looks a carbon copy of a LP59(R9) neck (.910")