Sign in to follow this  
kevliao

do you leave your Helix power on?

Similar to the discussion for computers...do you leave your unit on?  It does get a bit off after a while.  The power supply is built in, not a separate power block.  Any thoughts?

I don't see any reason to keep it on while not in use. I do leave it on for all the Sunday services which ends up being 7:30-2:00, but I think it's best to power down the unit when you can.

Mine stays cool when I leave it on from 7:15am until 12:30pm for the rehearsal and two services.

I also leave it on for 5 hours for the typical rock band gig and have no heat problems.  Other than that, it's

powered off always after I'm done playing.

On weekends mine is on for 5-6 hours a day. I have read in another forum someone left it on for 3 day without problems, so we should be fine

Similar to the discussion for computers...do you leave your unit on?  It does get a bit off after a while.  The power supply is built in, not a separate power block.  Any thoughts?

Just curious - why would you want to leave it on overnight or for hours/days at a time when you know you wont't be using it?

There are some days I'll leave it on for 4 or 5 hours because I'm working on things around the house and intermittently coming back to the Helix to work on patches or playing around.  Just trying to avoid the long power up cycle.

Just curious - why would you want to leave it on overnight or for hours/days at a time when you know you wont't be using it?

Leave it all on, kilowatts be damned!!!

I also like to have the heat and A/C duke it out in the summer, just for sh*ts 'n' giggles...and I'm considering hiring someone to stand in the bathroom to constantly flush the toilet. ;)

• Upvote 1

I think I would be more worried about the LCD screen over time.  Helix doesn't have a "sleep mode" or "screen saver" that prolongs the life of the LCD.  Nothing lasts forever --- why shorten its life?

• Upvote 1

I think I would be more worried about the LCD screen over time. Helix doesn't have a "sleep mode" or "screen saver" that prolongs the life of the LCD. Nothing lasts forever --- why shorten its life?

The best reason to turn stuff off when not in use, is to avoid getting fried if the power spikes. I lost 2 pieces of gear like that once, a rack-mount tuner and a MIDI foot controller (despite the use of surge protectors). Outdoor gig on one of those "stage on wheels" a lot of towns drag around for street fairs and such...Left everything on, thunderstorm knocked out the power, both units were DOA when the lights came back on.

Thanks to all your responses, even the snarky ones :P   Good points raised about the life of the LCD.  I know that most electronic devices have a rated on/off lifespan.  I do use it everyday, but really just a few hours at a time, but yeah, it does get hot.  There are some folks who feel with PC components/circuitry, constant on/off shortens its lifespan.  

The best reason to turn stuff off when not in use, is to avoid getting fried if the power spikes. I lost 2 pieces of gear like that once, a rack-mount tuner and a MIDI foot controller (despite the use of surge protectors). Outdoor gig on one of those "stage on wheels" a lot of towns drag around for street fairs and such...Left everything on, thunderstorm knocked out the power, both units were DOA when the lights came back on.

+1

Theres no reason to leave it on when not in use. If you are worried about wear on the power switch, get you a RackRider power bar and use it for the on-off switch.