Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR or 1/4 outputs

Indianrock2020

99% of the time I run one 1/4 out from my 500x through direct box to PA mixer ( no onstage amp of any kind ).  For an upcoming event I'll need one to go to my powered speaker close to me and one to the PA.   I don't use stereo effects.   Would I be better off using both 1/4 outs, one 1/4 and one XLR or both XLRs?

• Downvote 2

I would keep the one 1/4" you now use and add both XLRs to your powered monitor (use a stereo- mono adapter if necessary). The reason is that the 1/4" L/mono output sums the signal to mono; the XLR does not. I know you are not using stereo FX but but without summing to mono you will only get half the signal (strength?) to your monitor. Maybe that won't matter at all but I would at least test it.

Currently I am using this configuration : Out L ( 1/4 ) POD HD500 powered to monitor input ( 1/4 ) , link output of my monitor ( XLR ) to input ( XLR ) mixer . The PA guy manages what comes out, and I can adjust my monitor at will . Until now I have always enjoyed it and I've never had problems to feel on stage and above all I have no problem with the distances given that I'm using XLR cables.

It's only too easy for me ;-)

This is a pretty complicated routing arrangement, but the only real question I have is on the POD guitar outputs.  One goes to the mixer ( using DI if 1/4 ) and one goes to my Alto TS112 powered speaker.  The speaker's inputs can take 1/4 or XLR.   I won't use the speaker's output because it's combined and the sound person will need the guitar and vocal separated.      Guitar is sent to the voice/harmony box via the effects loop but voice box only outputs voice, no guitar.  The loop is needed so the voice box can use the guitar to get the right key etc.

click on image

post-1445431-0-76706400-1470227962_thumb.png

The basic difference between the two is the XLR's are designed for mic level out. The 1/4" outputs are designed to be line or instrument level. But, but of course, you can make them whatever you want. I do wish there was a way to at least lock the level of one so the Master Volume only affected the other. With the X3 I would have a mic level going to the house out of the XLR's which were locked. I could then adjust the 1/4" to whatever level I wanted going to my amp to adjust what I was hearing.

Hi

So is it possible to output XLR into the mixer/PA and at the same time to output 1/4 into my cab ?

The trick is to manage to have the cabinet activated on HD patch chain and at the same time, for monitoring into stage cabinet to have it deactivated on the patch chain. Is it doable ?

Regards

Hi

So is it possible to output XLR into the mixer/PA and at the same time to output 1/4 into my cab ?

The trick is to manage to have the cabinet activated on HD patch chain and at the same time, for monitoring into stage cabinet to have it deactivated on the patch chain. Is it doable ?

Regards

I believe it is.  I just ran one xlr out to my powered speaker and one 1/4 out to the other input of the same powered speaker.  It worked. Naturally the gain knobs on the powered speaker had to be set differently.   It's when you use stereo effects in your POD patch that using only one of the two outputs ( left or right ) can become an issue.   I don't use stereo effects but I think the solution usually proposed is to make sure the last effect in the patch is mono.

Hi

Regards

You can run XLR and 1/4'' at the same time.

But unless you are running a dual signal chain that is run in stereo, you cannot direct where the cab sound goes. 

Here's my advice... 

Make your tones for what the customers hear (XLR direct to the PA). And then if you need to plug into an amp so that you can here yourself on stage - who really cares if there is a little extra hiss going on. 

• 10 months later...

I run L xlr to PA (sound guy) and R xlr to powered monitor. All patches are mono - amp/ cab sims / fx - I pan L to 0% (center) 0.0db and R to 100% 0.0. I run just the powered monitor, no IEMs, and I have amazing results and haven't used an amp live on over 2 1/2 years. It's fantastic.

Only debate is if I should just run both sides at 0% 0.0 and both signals can be altered as needed by personal monitor or FOH

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you would, as long as you don't overdrive your mixer. The signal available at the 1/4" output is much larger than the signal available at the XLR output, but the mixer XLR input is looking for a the lower level input. It should be obvious if you're overdriving the mixer (it'll be nasty distorted). But it might work very well.