Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix wish list

musiclover7

So I am about a month in now with this unit. I've played out live with it a handful of times, but more than that, I have stayed up long into the evening many nights with this thing tweaking and playing. I am a better player now than I was a month ago, and I think I largely have the helix to thank for that. There is a ton to like here and I keep discovering more stuff that fall into this category. I don't use any of the amp modeling capabilities of the helix myself, and even barring those, even just using this as a 100% multi-effect unit/looper, there is a lot to love. That said, I wanted to create one post for the handful of improvements/enhancements that I would love to see; the things that would make this pedal perfection. Here they are in no particular order.

1) I guess I will start with my best suggestion. I think every switch on the helix should be 'fully' customizable. Meaning... Any given footswitch can be a stomp, a snapshot, and preset up or down, a tap/tempo tuner, etc.. with the exception of maybe the FS6 mode switch, which would take you from the first set of switches within a patch, to the second set of switches, but heck, maybe there is a smarter way of doing even that. It might be just me, but maybe there are others out there who never ever use the preset up/down switch, so you'd rather have those switches avail for another purpose, more stomps mainly.  Anyways, following this, you can have a single set of switches that include the stomps you want to turn on and off, maybe a snapshot or two, and also maybe a preset switch in the upper left to toggle to the next patch if that's your bag, a tap/tempo tuner on the second row of switches rather than first, etc. No need to hit the mode button to switch to snapshot mode, but if you do, you just get another set of footswitches that can also be either stomps, snaps, presets, etc. This way you can truly customize the way everything is laid out within a given patch exactly to your purpose.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-every-footswitch-on-the-helix-fully-changeable/833725-23508?submitted=1

2) Better reverbs.  I think we just need like 2 new really usable rich HD reverbs in this unit.  I am not alone in thinking this.

3) Ability to save the tuner input within the patch settings.  Some others liked this idea, but now I can't find it in ideascape so dangit.  It would be a huge help for me when I play out acoustic and am constantly switching instruments and thus patches to switch inputs.  As it stands, every time I switch instruments, I have to bend over and switch the tuner input to tune.  It would be super cool if this setting could be stored along with everything else, within a given patch.  Let it have a default setting sure, but let it be modifiable and save-able within a given patch.

4) Looper fade out option.  Would be nice to have a fade out option on the looper, rather than just a sudden stop.

5) The ability to add a secondary output to a signal path with a separate volume adjuster for that secondary output, without having to split the signal again within helix.  This way, I can easily send my mic out the xlr at 100%, and my guitar out the 1/4 inch at 100%, but I can also send my guitar out the xlr at 20%, and I don't have to split the signal within the patch, which is impossible in a patch that is already complexified.

6) A metronome, or better, how bout a super simple drum machine - bass, hat, snare?  Mainly for practice purposes.

7)  Well, that's about it actually.  Would be great to see more effects come on home to this unit as time rolls on as well, but really for me, these changes would transform this unit into just about perfection.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Me, Id rather them work on just the "guitar" parts of Helix. New amps, cabs, effects. Most of your ideas are ok, but OTOH I don't want or desire a swiss army knife of other musical toys taking away from the processing abilities of a better sounding guitar processor for later. There are hundreds of drum software titles on the market, each with the ability to provide a metronome or beat available should we need or desire it. As always YMMV.  :)

• Upvote 5

Me, Id rather them work on just the "guitar" parts of Helix. New amps, cabs, effects. Most of your ideas are ok, but OTOH I don't want or desire a swiss army knife of other musical toys taking away from the processing abilities of a better sounding guitar processor for later. There are hundreds of drum software titles on the market, each with the ability to provide a metronome or beat available should we need or desire it. As always YMMV.  :)

Agreed.

There's an old adage in the business world that excellence comes from "sticking to your knitting".  The Helix is designed to be a top of the line modeler.  Once you begin to add in features that don't fit that category the Helix loses it's focus and becomes a jack of all trades.

From a technical standpoint every frivolous feature added takes away from processing that could be useful for creating better effects or amp models...which is at the core of what most of us bought the Helix for.

• Upvote 2

Yup. Totally and completely agree with spikey...

You can get metronom/drum machine on your smartphone so just need a simple cable to connect it to Helix. Absolutely not worth occupying Line 6 guys' time IMHO. I agree with 2 - HX reverbs would be definitely appreciated by me.

I generally agree with guitar stuff only but would also include some vocal-specific tools/fx - de-esser and vowel-formants-aware harmonzer/pitch shifter. That would be awesome as I currently use Helix for processing both guitar and vocal live. But I understand it's mainly a guitar processor so I don't really expect these to materialize and am happy with the current state of things...

• Upvote 1

HXReverbs, and some vocal effects, like vocoder, harmonies and such. Other than that, I am just happy with whatever Line 6 gives us. They just added the mesa MKIV which was at the top of my list for additions... Once they model the XTC from Bogner then I wont have anymore specific amp models to request. Maybe another Engl for high gain, but thats about it.

What do you guys think of my idea about making all footswitches fully interchangeable.  - Any footswitch can be a stomp, a snapshot, looper, tap tempo, up patch, down patch, etc.?  I don't really need a metronome, but something like this would be a huge workflow improvement.  No more need to switch in and out of snapshot mode.  You can have your lead snapshot right next to your delay pedal, and so on.  It takes custom and freedom to a whole new level.  I'd also really love to see them give us a secondary out option on the signal path, without having to re-carve the signal path.  Otherwise, yeah, I agree. Let them focus on bringing new effects, etc.

What do you guys think of my idea about making all footswitches fully interchangeable.  - Any footswitch can be a stomp, a snapshot, looper, tap tempo, up patch, down patch, etc.?  I don't really need a metronome, but something like this would be a huge workflow improvement.  No more need to switch in and out of snapshot mode.  You can have your lead snapshot right next to your delay pedal, and so on.  It takes custom and freedom to a whole new level.  I'd also really love to see them give us a secondary out option on the signal path, without having to re-carve the signal path.  Otherwise, yeah, I agree. Let them focus on bringing new effects, etc.

Honestly, I think it causes more confusion than functionality and wouldn't want them to change it. you can already get Stomps/Presets, Stomps/Snapshots, or Snapshots/Presets (as well as just Snapshots, just Presets or just Stomps).

I think that's plenty functionality for virtually everyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

No particular functionality changes for my wish list, with snapshots it's just about perfect for what I need.

Something like a Lonestar Special would be cool, just for the brilliant clean channel, or something boutique-y like a Lazy J. I know they're based on old Fenders, but they seem to have nailed the best examples of them.

Effects wise an auto wah would be cool, not missing anything on the delays or verbs, but never say no to more good stuff, maybe a phase 45 script model, which I prefer to the 90. All with instant gratification built in!!! :-)

Totally agree most peoples points so far with making the Helix richer with Guitar related features. A metronome would be an OK addition though but not a basic drum machine...that's the realm of zoom/boss and somewhat cheapens the whole affair. you could just get a drum line to loop on your PC/mac/phone to play through Helix if really needed.

A lot of what Helix does just now is so good. A while back (after a lot of playing with stuff) I started to get the results I wanted from Helix and in fact turned out to be way better than I imagined it could be.

Maybe some more interesting/legendary/popular effects would be top of my list.

Overall I'm just glad there is such a good community who discuss/share ideas, tips, patches, IRs so readily. It's an amazing spot of added value!

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't mind seeing a metronome either.  Maybe add it as an "effect" like how the looper is done.  Would be nice for practicing with headphones.  (In fact I was just looking for a metronome app for my phone but then was thinking, derp, need it most at night when wife is sleeping and I'm having to use headphones)

Here, here!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a metronome either.  Maybe add it as an "effect" like how the looper is done.  Would be nice for practicing with headphones.  (In fact I was just looking for a metronome app for my phone but then was thinking, derp, need it most at night when wife is sleeping and I'm having to use headphones)

You might actually be able to make one using effects and a parallel path.

Rather than try and describe the idea, have a look at this preset: Lead Pulse.zip

The key to making the click would be messing with the bottom path effects.

I would like to see some new stuff for Bass.

Like a Bass specific EQ, the 10-band can kind of work but it would be nice to see something with some lower frequencies.

Also a Bass specific Distortion/Overdrive, OBD/Sansamp/Darkglass

Some more filters and synths, maybe from the filter factory, and some more amps like Eden/Aguilar/Ashdown/SWR.

I understand a lot, if not most, of people are just using it for guitar, but the Helix has been out for a year and there hasn't really been any bass specific additions. Would like to see some every now and again. 

ONE -   PRESETS FOR EVERY EFFECT TYPE !!!!      AND  GLOBAL EQ  !

TWO -   OPTION TO ASSIGN ONE OF THE 6 KNOBS BELOW THE SCREEN TO  USB 1/2 TRIM .....  ALL THE TIME

( and yes - i chose capitals deliberately - this stuff needs shouting about ) 

An iPad or iOS device connected via USB to the HELIX is the ultimate add-on to the HELIX.  Loopy HD, tons of metronomes, effects, etc.

The only thing is  -   as above - we need much more straightforward and immediate access to the USB 1/2 trim option currently hidden layers deep under Global Settings. 

Why ? because once you connect an iDevice to the HELIX over USB - the global volume control on the iOS device becomes disabled and not all iOS audio apps have a separate master volume control. And often if they do it isn't easy to access in a I've situation. 

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Option-to-use-rightmost-knob-below-screen-for-USB-1-2-Trim/861859-23508?submitted=1

I would like to see some new stuff for Bass.

Like a Bass specific EQ, the 10-band can kind of work but it would be nice to see something with some lower frequencies.

Also a Bass specific Distortion/Overdrive, OBD/Sansamp/Darkglass

Some more filters and synths, maybe from the filter factory, and some more amps like Eden/Aguilar/Ashdown/SWR.

I understand a lot, if not most, of people are just using it for guitar, but the Helix has been out for a year and there hasn't really been any bass specific additions. Would like to see some every now and again. 

Have you tried the Cali Q Graphic? I know it's not really designed for bass, but I find it works really well to set the base tone. It's kind of like the active EQ on the bass, but with the ability of putting it wherever in the signal chain.

You can get metronom/drum machine on your smartphone so just need a simple cable to connect it to Helix. Absolutely not worth occupying Line 6 guys' time IMHO. I agree with 2 - HX reverbs would be definitely appreciated by me.

An iPad or iOS device connected via USB to the HELIX is the ultimate add-on to the HELIX.  Loopy HD, tons of metronomes, effects, etc.

The only thing is  -   as above - we need much more straightforward and immediate access to the USB 1/2 trim option currently hidden layers deep under Global Settings. 

Why ? because once you connect an iDevice to the HELIX over USB - the global volume control on the iOS device becomes disabled and not all iOS audio apps have a separate master volume control. And often if they do it isn't easy to access in a I've situation. 

So - support the FR right above this one -

Hey, yes I have tried the Cali EQ, but thank you for the suggestion :)

It kind of works but seeing as how it starts at 80Hz the EQ only really effects everything above an E note on the D string so for most of the root notes It doesn't effect much except the overtones/Harmonics. The 10-band covers down to 38Hz which does cover the low E string but if you're playing a 5-string or using a synth/pitch down it can be hard to tame the low end frequencies a bit.

Hey, yes I have tried the Cali EQ, but thank you for the suggestion :)

It kind of works but seeing as how it starts at 80Hz the EQ only really effects everything above an E note on the D string so for most of the root notes It doesn't effect much except the overtones/Harmonics. The 10-band covers down to 38Hz which does cover the low E string but if you're playing a 5-string or using a synth/pitch down it can be hard to tame the low end frequencies a bit.

Why not the parametric EQ? Only one I ever use.

I will try the parametric one out more. I've just always sucked at using the freq/Q curves on the Helix. I mostly edit directly from the helix though due to POS computer in need of an upgrade that runs insanely slow. Does the computer's editor actually show the EQ Q curves?

I will try the parametric one out more. I've just always sucked at using the freq/Q curves on the Helix. I mostly edit directly from the helix though due to POS computer in need of an upgrade that runs insanely slow. Does the computer's editor actually show the EQ Q curves?

No (and I think you should use your ears, not a visual... but...)

If you think that visually, then do all the EQing in the global EQ, then write down the settings, and input them into the para EQ.

Simple.

But I think you should use your ears, really...

I do use my ears.

I guess Its hard for me to tell if what I'm doing because I don't know whether a high Q value is a narrow or wide peak which is why I want the visual just to know that yes Its a high peak or not. So I guess I could easily do that if I just knew if 10 was a narrow peak or a flat one

If I have the Q peak really narrow maybe I am not hearing much a difference because Its on a frequency that's not being used at that moment

Q is counter-intuitive. Think of it as focus. The higher the Q, the greater the focus.

If it's at 0, you're boosting all frequencies. Set it higher and you're zoning in on a freq.

Here's what I do.

Dial up a parametric EQ. DO NOT TOUCH Q. Now, if you're looking to cut a low freq, boost low ALL THE WAY and sweep through as you are playing (setting a looper temporarily early in the chain is great for this).

Once you find the frequency that annoys you the most, cut it, start with 3 or 5 db. THEN adjust Q last.

btw, boosting low frequencies might not work as well as finding the low mid or mid frequencies that need to be cut and cut them.

And boosting ultra low frequencies will sound great when it's just you and will often suck when it's the whole band (even on bass).

90% of my use of parametric EQ, personally, is cutting.

And even on bass, I roll off ultra low freqs below 30 - 60 hz.

• Upvote 1

I visualizer for the EQs would be sweet. Yeah, dial it in with your ears, but having something to look at makes getting in the ball park quickly much easier. I would be pretty salty if I had to "dial it in with my ears" in my DAW without knowing where I was heading first. 

Totally agree!  Vote for it here http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-graphical-representation-of-Parametric-EQ-curve-to-Editor/831163-23508

• 3 months later...

How's this for an idea - the ability to create Global EQ presets; say you use a pair of studio monitors to create your 'reference' sound. You then play a venue and feel you need to tweak the Global EQ for the acoustics etc of the environment. Say you then play another venue, which needs a different tweak to the Global EQ. And then say you play several venues regularly and would like to recall the Global EQ setting for each venue as and when because you know they worked just fine the last time you played there...? If you had, oh, I don't know, say 10 Global EQ presets you could recall, it would make life much much easier...

How's this for an idea - the ability to create Global EQ presets; say you use a pair of studio monitors to create your 'reference' sound. You then play a venue and feel you need to tweak the Global EQ for the acoustics etc of the environment. Say you then play another venue, which needs a different tweak to the Global EQ. And then say you play several venues regularly and would like to recall the Global EQ setting for each venue as and when because you know they worked just fine the last time you played there...? If you had, oh, I don't know, say 10 Global EQ presets you could recall, it would make life much much easier...

If you do a search on "Global EQ" you will find several ideas in IdeaScale for this. Vote 'em up!

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

a further amp / preamp model , that I would apprechiate al lot,

would be the legendary

Sunn O))) Beta Bass !

Would be great as a bass amp, as a fuzz / distortion unit, a guitar amp.

And would give a completely different and unique flavor in comparison to the existing bass amps.

Very best regards,

Franz

10 hours ago, Deepwave said:

Hi all,

a further amp / preamp model , that I would apprechiate al lot,

would be the legendary

Sunn O))) Beta Bass !

Would be great as a bass amp, as a fuzz / distortion unit, a guitar amp.

And would give a completely different and unique flavor in comparison to the existing bass amps.

Very best regards,

Franz

Hi Franz,

You have posted your request to a thread that is 3 years old - last reply was 2017

Maybe you are unaware that posting this here is not enough, you actually have to post your ideas/request onto the IdeaScale site to be voted on.

Find it here:

https://line6.ideascale.com

Ensure that nobody else has made the same request, and if they have you can vote it up.

Afterwards you can post here, in the correct thread, to let other users know what you have asked for. That way, they can vote for it if they like the idea.

https://line6.com/support/topic/14497-helix-ideascale-community-submissions/page/1/

Most of the latest effects and amps added to firmware 3.01 got into the Helix, because they started out on IdeaScale.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Dear Santa!
Bring me pleees for my Helix:
- Good quality reverbs
- New bright bucket brigade delays
- Good quality Electric Mistress model
- Decent Boss CE-1 model
- Pitch to MIDI software
- Clean my Tape Delays heads and exchange worn tape to some good one
This does not have to happen this Xmass, it can be next year, maybe two, or even three.
Just remember about my Helix. He is such a nice boy - He deserves every bit of quality software.

Dashing through the snow
In a dual DSP
Noone never knows
What is gonna be
Jingle bells, Helix bells
Helix all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a dual DSP