Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relay G10 USB input poor design

Driheaves

About to return G10 for replacement after USB port broke away from board.

Think I might try securing the port to the board somehow. Perhaps a small hole in the board each side of port and secure with thin cable tie or a saddle of some sort.

Very poor design fault on otherwise great unit.

The root cause is cold solder on the USB connector shroud. Assuming a new unit, prevention would be touching up the shroud solder tabs to be sure they are properly soldered. You'll never do better than that with any tie down idea.

I don't remember what's between the tabs on the solder side, but you could lay in some mylar and solder a wire across the tabs down tight, a la your strap idea. Be careful with all the heat.

That with the magnetic break away cable should be pretty good, until the cable separates at a gig!

Supposedly the new units have a beefed up connection at the board. 

I would still open a support ticket with Line 6 if yours failed. They may decide to replace your unit even though it may be out of the warranty window. 

Well add me to the list of owners with a failed unit My receiver has apparently died. Doesn't light up at all. I tried several different USB cables, and nothing. I suspect the cause is the flimsy, junky USB input. (BTW, did they ever redesign it yet? It's going on 2 years now since this product was introduced!). Bought my G10 when they first came out, so well past warranty now. 

I just bought the G10 on New Years, didn't want the headache that a lot of customers are having. So I bought the breakaway cable, It works great!

Thanks for the link!!!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

While I duly acknowledge that what I've done to two Relay G10's in modifying them must certainly void the warranty, in fact my modifications have greatly improved the reliability of these units.  The modification consists of wiring an ordinary 5.6 millimeter power jack in parallel with the big electrolytic capacitor on the receiver board, and properly mounting that power jack in the enclosure.  The mod also entails removing the mini-USB plug from the power-supply cord and replacing it with a power plug that mates with said jack.  The USB jack is left untampered with, so (presuming it has not already been damaged) it can still be used with a USB cable to run firmware updates with a computer.  To the best of my knowledge, the green wire and the white wire within the USB cable are not used at all by the power supply, and are only present for use in firmware updating and possibly troubleshooting.  Because the solder joints on the filter cap are very small and hard to get at, and because the USB cable is somewhat too large in diameter to fit the power plug optimally, this kind of modification requires patience and craftsmanship.

Cheers,

Richard W. Faith

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My unit failed after almost a year of use.  Same MicroUSB issue.  Line 6 support was responsive and has just issued me a replacement unit.  Hopefully this one will be better.  And, I, too, just also bought one of those breakaway/magnetic cables. I love everything about the G10 (for what it is and does) EXCEPT for the power supply.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I too am having the issue after 3months. I created a service ticket. Remember all we do is set it down and it sits there. It’s like our phone where we’re constantly connecting the port. This is a design issue. Not sure why they didn’t just put a regulat power adapter plug. I’m pissed. I was going to go with a different wireless but my buddy let me try his. So I bought it. Now two people have bought it after trying mine. I feel bad.. I shouldn’t have to modify something I paid almost 200 bucks for. I’m not a happy camper with any of my line 6 products and I’m at the point where I won’t purchase another 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Always been more than a little concerned about the micro USB port half way up the unit, with zero strain relief.  I'd been considering using a fly lead for a while, but unfortunately mine failed last week before I got round to it. Fortunately it was still under warranty, and is on the way back for repair/replacement.  When I get it back I'll have two preventative options waiting, one in the form of the aforementioned  short fly lead, and the other, a right angle micro USB to full sized USB adaptor. The second option I think should allow me to completely negate the flaw of the weak micro USB port, as I can hot melt/Sugru/Milliput the relatively large adaptor to the back of the receiver very solidly, and I trust a full sized USB connector mechanically a lot more than a micro USB one.  I'll know a bit more when I get everything back in front of me.

This is the UK eBay description if you want to search for a similar one in your area - USB 2.0 Female to Male Micro OTG Adapter 90 Degree Left 90 Right Angled

To those saying the G10 is not meant for gigging: It is by far the most practical unit for a violinist such as myself. The compact light transmitter being pretty much perfect for use on a small instrument. I previously used, and still have the G30, and whilst that's usable, the much bigger transmitter is far more awkward to try and mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a different mod, if you don't mind using usb, you just want a more secure connection. I bought a female usb A connector with cable, intended for mounting in a cabinet. The cable has just two leads, so it's for power only, not data transfer. Soldered the cable to the capasitor. Unsoldered and removed the xlr connector. Mounted the usb connector where the xlr connector used to be. Now you can connect with a regular male-to-male usb cable. You can still use the micro usb for firmware updates, but it's probably not a good idea to use both at the same time.

Of course, you don't have to remove the xlr connector. I just did it because I never use it, and the usb connector was the same diameter. You can probably get a smaller connector and make a hole for it somewhere. 

_20180513_133110.JPG

_20180513_133149.JPG

_20180513_133219.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is the port isn't recessed enough for the USB cord to be inserted safely. It's really a shame. I use this at my church because space is so tight. But now I'm seriously thinking about trading it in. And I've had it less than a year. Live and Learn, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! The truth is is that Line 6 clearly designed this thing to be hard to repair. Which is really crappy in my opinion. I had the issue of the jack coming loose and falling inside the unit. I managed to fix it and it wasn’t a huge deal but still it’s annoying that a company would do this on purpose. For any of you that opened it you know that they designed it to be hard to open. So line 6, please stop this. Make your product easier to repair, or, just stop putting bad components in them. 

I have have to say tho that’s mod by a2dconverterguy was EPIC!!! Might need to do that to my own... thx guys! 

It perhaps looks a bit rough, but it's all very solid, and working as intended. Micro USB to full size USB fly cable, mounted on a strip of masking tape, and then layered hot melt glue to provide a good large anchor and plenty of strain relief. Using hot melt means it should be fairly easy to remove with methylated spirits (de-natured alcohol) if I ever need to replace the fly lead in the future. I went for the full sized USB mainly for the greater mechanical strength, rather than just extending the micro USB to another flimsy micro USB.  I may in the future also add a standard 9v dc socket and a step down converter inside, or just make a little external 9v to 5v adaptor that connects to the large USB connector on the fly lead. It's permanently on my pedal board, and room isn't a limiter, so an external adaptor is probably the route I'll take. 

IMG_4797.JPG

On 6/16/2018 at 9:06 PM, gregmusi said:

Looks like a better solution is on the market now...

https://www.boss.info/us/products/wl-50/

Finally, a device that will work on a 9v plug and will hold up much better.  Hope this is a game changer and line 6 finally is forced to redesign their g10 system, using a better and more durable solution! 

Finally, a device that will work on a 9v plug and will hold up much better.  Hope this is a game changer and line 6 finally is forced to redesign their g10 system, using a better and more durable solution! 

Back ordered it from Sweetwater.... I will still attempt to mod a cable (9v>5v) but man, really is a poor design. Thanks Boss!

7 hours ago, talonmm said:

Honestly I think I’m going to sell my g10 and buy this. Line 6 really needs to get their stuff together. The boss one is smaller, looks more durable and HAS A 9V INPUT!! Thx guys! Looking forward to trying it out!

12 hours ago, IOI-655321 said:

Honestly I think I’m going to sell my g10 and buy this. Line 6 really needs to get their stuff together. The boss one is smaller, looks more durable and HAS A 9V INPUT!! Thx guys! Looking forward to trying it out!

Please do a review when you get it!  Some concerns I have:  1) the battery looks larger and Boss says it will work longer before a recharge, but the transmitter is larger due to the larger battery.

2)  the charging device looks clumsy, charging from the top like the g10 seems easier to do

Another concern I have about he g10 and I've never seen it mentioned here.  I gig out playing small venues and often the stage is on the floor.  if the bar is packed it's possible someone (usually someone dancing) can step right on my peddle board and we all know what would happen to the g10 if it was stepped on.    So I never use my g10 unless I know the stage is off the ground and well protected. 

The boss device too, looks like it's base is made of plastic so I would have the same concerns when playing guitar on the floor where patrons can walk and dance. 

My unit wouldn't work at all until I updated the firmware which was a big relief that it did work!
However.. Now I'm really skeptical . I think I am going to take the little guy back before I am supergluing the jack in. 
Great idea.. loved it really but I was instantly worried about how far it stuck out even with the adapter.. then it was just flopping around so I could see it catching on something or backing up into something and doing damage to either the transmitter, or my guitar. 
Kinda bummed.. 

• 1 month later...

My G -10, as well as all of the others in my band, failed.  The micro USB is NOT the way to go!!!  If you take the unit apart you can clearly see the problem. The female part of the plug is lightly soldered right onto the 'motherboard" inside the unit.  Any bit of slight pressure on the plug will break the solder and the piece falls off.  It is next to impossible to repair as all of the soldering points within the unit were NOT done by hand.  This is clearly a horrible design, especially for any kind of regular gigging use.  The cord should be hard-wired and enforced from the inside.  Again, everyone in my band used one of these at one time or another and it failed EVERY TIME!!!  Line 6 should make good on this and conduct a recall of every unit.

• 1 month later...

My G10 USB connection totally sucks!!!  -  I had to return one because the USB jack was loose and it would turn on and off and lose connection to my guitar throughout the gig.   They swapped me for a brand new one, and now this one is doing the same thing.   Does anyone want to buy mine?  I am getting rid of it.   

33 minutes ago, online said:

My G10 USB connection totally sucks!!!  -  I had to return one because the USB jack was loose and it would turn on and off and lose connection to my guitar throughout the gig.   They swapped me for a brand new one, and now this one is doing the same thing.   Does anyone want to buy mine?  I am getting rid of it.   

Why would anyone want to buy a broken one from you?

Open up a ticket, and Line 6 will replace it again...

• 4 weeks later...

The unit concept is great. Easy to change guitars. BUTT!!!!!! The power issue sucks Hadley. Sent my unit back got a replacement. Only use it in a peddle board but I find myself giggling it all the time to get it to work. It really sucks when you were onstage. Boss has come out with a version and I’m either going to that or bite the bullet and go with a sure pack. I’ve had nothing but issues with my line 6 products. The amp100 multieffects sucked so bad I gave it away for 50 bucks. When the G10 works it’s great especially when changing guitars. I’m so over this issue.

• Downvote 1

On 3/21/2018 at 11:41 PM, gdebrango said:

I too am having the issue after 3months. I created a service ticket. Remember all we do is set it down and it sits there. It’s like our phone where we’re constantly connecting the port. This is a design issue. Not sure why they didn’t just put a regulat power adapter plug. I’m pissed. I was going to go with a different wireless but my buddy let me try his. So I bought it. Now two people have bought it after trying mine. I feel bad.. I shouldn’t have to modify something I paid almost 200 bucks for. I’m not a happy camper with any of my line 6 products and I’m at the point where I won’t purchase another 

I'm not sure why you downvoted my post, so I'm returning the favor!!!

• 2 months later...

Not sure how this will make many of you feel who have invested in the line 6 g10 system and have to deal with such a poor power design that often breaks.

Line 6 has a new G 10 coming out that will run on 9v power and be made of metal.  I hear it's designed to work well on a peddleboard.  The transmitter looks very similar to the existing g10 transmitter.  It's possible the transmitter is identical to the existing model, but from a photo I saw, it  looks like it could be slightly thicker.  I am not sure.

The base is definitely larger.

I also believe it will be priced higher than the current g10 system, but if it's made with metal and uses a 9v, it will be a substantial upgrade.

So are you pleased there is a better solution offered by line 6, or annoyed they did not come up with a fix and allow us to send our units back for a warranty repair (similar to what you see on a factory recall)

3 hours ago, talonmm said:

Not sure how this will make many of you feel who have invested in the line 6 g10 system and have to deal with such a poor power design that often breaks.

Line 6 has a new G 10 coming out that will run on 9v power and be made of metal.  I hear it's designed to work well on a peddleboard.  The transmitter looks very similar to the existing g10 transmitter.  It's possible the transmitter is identical to the existing model, but from a photo I saw, it  looks like it could be slightly thicker.  I am not sure.

The base is definitely larger.

I also believe it will be priced higher than the current g10 system, but if it's made with metal and uses a 9v, it will be a substantial upgrade.

So are you pleased there is a better solution offered by line 6, or annoyed they did not come up with a fix and allow us to send our units back for a warranty repair (similar to what you see on a factory recall)

I believe Line 6 has been replacing units for people who've had the problem. So I'd say if you have a broken USB port, open a ticket even if you are past the warranty period.

The street price for the G10S is $250, and I believe it will be shipping immediately: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-relay-g10s-wireless-guitar-system

• Like 1

late to the party but I experienced the flakey usb power issue and I prepared to rewire the thing with a beefier connector. But all I did was replace that very thick and heavy usb cable with a lighter guage one and my problem has been solved for over a year of steady gigging now. Maybe the plug was snugger but the wiggle factor was eliminated with a different cable.

You've been lucky then.  It's not how tight the plug fits (necessarily), as it's more to do with how mechanically strong the connector is that sits on the circuit board behind is. If too much downward pressure is put on the cable, from something like standing on it, regardless of how tight the plug fits into the socket, the leverage experienced can break the connector on the board.  This is why workarounds like magnetic connectors that come apart with less pressure than would take to break the board connector, or reinforcing the area around the socket are probably better options. It's obviously entirely up to you, but if you are past your 2 year warranty, I wouldn't risk it for the sake of such a cheap and easy fix.

• 3 weeks later...

more on the USB issue.  Like those above, the micro USB is the weak part of the design.  Looking inside the unit, I found that only the two back solder points were used, allowing the front of the connector to float and ultimately short.  I've  handled the unit gently (but it still broke) and it was only used in the studio and not on the road.  This has been a good product for me, with no other issues, but it only takes one.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all kudos to everyone getting a working solution on their G10 receivers.  I too have a unit where the mini USB has gone.  I even got as far as removing the casing before admitting to myself that my electronics and soldering skills are probably not what they'd need to be...  So I spoke with Line6, and pushed the idea of getting only the nice metal 9v G10S. (As I have a good working G10T and they are worth £79 new on the Andertons web site.)

So it turns out they have a little known SKU, GRELAYG10SRUK, which is purely for the receiver unit.  Zero Google results for that code.  So I followed up with the good people at Andertons and they have kindly added it to their catalogue for £179, saving £59 on the full version including the transmitter: https://www.andertons.co.uk/line-6-relay-g10s-digital-wireless-guitar-system-receiver-only 

Edited by richardcheney
Typos and clarification!

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I have been offering a power supply socket upgrade service in the UK for the past year or so. It consists of adding a standard "Boss" type power socket directly below the existing mini USB socket, and installing a small voltage regulator board inside the receiver which drops the standard 9 volt pedal supply voltage to the 5 volts the receiver requires. If the USB socket was working before the mod, it will still work after it, but I am not including repair to the USB socket if it is broken, the sockets are poor quality, and do not tolerate the solder iron heating well enough )

I have modified around 14 G10s this way, all were successful. Drop me aline if you'd like to know more.  I am only doing this for UK customers at the moment, but could consider shipping overseas repairs if the demand is sufficient.

Update, the mod is essentially identical to that posted by a2dconverterguy 

earlier in this thread, but available in the UK.

Steve Coates

www.redtapemusic.biz 

Edited by snipedoguk
further information added

• 1 month later...

I have a Voodoo Labs brick that has a couple of outputs that can be dialed down as low as 4 volts using it's SAG feature, and I've read that that can be a way to get the G10 it's required 5 volts. My question is: how do we know if the brick's SAG output will provide enough current? At 9 volts it provides 100 mA at each output. But the manual doesn't say what it will provide at 5 volts. I also don't know what the max current draw is for the G10 when charging, so I'm concerned that any kind of conversion from a converted 9-volt pedal power supply (or using the Voodoo Labs SAG option) may not provide enough current.

I know people have been doing the conversion without apparent issue, but maybe the re-charge time is longer due to reduced current capabilities of whatever 9-volt supply is being used?

Thoughts?

I've just checked mine, and it uses between 95-140mA when just transmitting.  When charging as well, it went up to 350mA, however, the receiver was reasonably well charged already, so it wouldn't surprise me if you would see 490mA with a fully discharged receiver battery.  

EDIT: Just looked up the Voodoo Power Plus 2 and it seems like the SAG ports (4V-9V) are regulated to 100mA, so you may be out of luck

Thanks. I just updated my last reply. I was mistaken -- the 490 mA figure shoulda been 410 mA -- and that was for the G10s, not the G10. But you're showing 350 mA? Still kinda high. And as you said it could be even higher on a low battery. Hmmm.

May I ask how you measured those current draws?

I figured the voltage was regulated on the Power Plus 2, rather than the current. No?