Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I split outputs for live?

jamesklotz

Hi guys - probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to be able to get it.

I've got a gig on Fri - how do I get the same signal going to the 1/4" outs and the XLR outs, but controlled with separate volume controls? I want 1/4" going to my FRFR, and the XLR's going to FOH with independent control of each volume.

Thanks!

Once it's set to a good level (before you reassign the VOL knob) let the FOH  control it for mixing with the band. All you should need to do is control your monitor/FRFR.

Really? Not doubting you, I haven't played with this, but I just assumed the XLRs were fixed at some default level if they weren't being controlled by the big knob. Am I right that you're saying they're controlled by the last setting applied to them with the big knob, before that was disabled?

That doesn't seem ideal, in that they're at some user-determined level you can't see. Also, I'd imagine that setting gets erased by a global reset, upshot of which is that you need to set it, write it down, then disable it.

Really? Not doubting you, I haven't played with this, but I just assumed the XLRs were fixed at some default level if they weren't being controlled by the big knob. Am I right that you're saying they're controlled by the last setting applied to them with the big knob, before that was disabled?

That doesn't seem ideal, in that they're at some user-determined level you can't see. Also, I'd imagine that setting gets erased by a global reset, upshot of which is that you need to set it, write it down, then disable it.

Like you I haven't tested that specifically, so I guess it could go either way.

I guess the question is: when you disassociate an output (either 1/4" or XLR or other) from the big volume knob what does Helix do with the volume level? Set it to some hidden default value or use the current (last) setting? I don't know. Anybody tested this (I'm not at my Helix right now)?

OK - so I've had a chance to test this. Zooey is correct - when you disassociate an output from the Vol knob it changes to a default value. It does not retain its current setting.

Thanks for prompting this, zooey.

So how is that level adjusted? Is it just pre set by the helix, and up to the sound guy to deal with if it is not what the mixing board wants to see, or is it possible to set the level somewhere?

Hi guys - probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to be able to get it.

I've got a gig on Fri - how do I get the same signal going to the 1/4" outs and the XLR outs, but controlled with separate volume controls? I want 1/4" going to my FRFR, and the XLR's going to FOH with independent control of each volume.

Thanks!

This is probably not the answer you are looking for but when I use the XLR and 1/4 for FOH & FRFR i simply let the master volume knob control both XLR & 1/4. I let the soundman adjust the input trim for the Helix's XLR(s) on the mixing board and get the FOH sound, and I adjust the volume on the FRFR to accommodate whatever signal level is coming from the 1/4 outputs on the Helix. If I was running my own sound I would adjust the trim and fader levels from the board rather than trying to work two separate levels from the Helix.

Well, I just tested it. Deselecting the XLR's from the vol knob seems to work ok with my audio interface. I do have a pad on the input of it, however. I think it would be too hot if I didn't. I guess I'll give it a go tomorrow at the gig and see how it goes. As long as the signal doesn't overload the input on the mixing board, I think I'll be ok.

This is an important thing for me, as I tend to be adjusting my volume all during the night (tends to creep up as the night goes on. Go figure), so I need to be able to do that with my monitor level and leave the FOH to the sound guy. 

Thanks for all the input guys.

Well, I just tested it. Deselecting the XLR's from the vol knob seems to work ok with my audio interface. I do have a pad on the input of it, however. I think it would be too hot if I didn't. I guess I'll give it a go tomorrow at the gig and see how it goes. As long as the signal doesn't overload the input on the mixing board, I think I'll be ok.

This is an important thing for me, as I tend to be adjusting my volume all during the night (tends to creep up as the night goes on. Go figure), so I need to be able to do that with my monitor level and leave the FOH to the sound guy. 

Thanks for all the input guys.

Yep, I can totally understand wanting to be able to adjust your stage/monitor volume from the Helix instead of the FRFR while simultaneously sending an unaltered signal to FOH.