Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

? On Enhancing The Acoustic Sounds: Fishman Aura? Zoom A3? Etc?

My favorite models are the D-28 and the J-200.

Using so called "acoustic guitar" presets as starting points in various software plug-ins does seem to warm up the sound to make it sound more authentic.  (I do have a high quality acoustic guitar and condenser mics but prefer to use the JTV at this point.)

Has anyone used the JTV acoustics with devices such as the Fishman Aura, the Zoom A3, or the Radial PZ?  

I'm looking for ways to enhanced the sound when recording.

Input appreciated.

I use the Zoom A-2 (probably replaced by the A-3).  For Variax acoustic sounds, I do not layer the A-2 acoustic modeling. I don't like the way they sound together.  All the other built in effects sound great, though.  It's a good unit to have in case your battery on the Variax dies, you can use it's magnetic pickups and get a decent acoustic-modeled sound as a backup.  I use the Variax with a PA system, not a guitar amp.

• Upvote 1

I use the Zoom A-2 (probably replaced by the A-3).  For Variax acoustic sounds, I do not layer the A-2 acoustic modeling. I don't like the way they sound together.  All the other built in effects sound great, though.  It's a good unit to have in case your battery on the Variax dies, you can use it's magnetic pickups and get a decent acoustic-modeled sound as a backup.  I use the Variax with a PA system, not a guitar amp.

Good information.

Thanks.

Another A2 user here... Good pedal I think... can't wait to try the A3.

I use the Fishman Aura 16 with a Martin Preset and a Taylor Preset. The Aura 16 is perfekt to enhance the sound, not only for the Variax acoustics (I still use the old Variax 500). I also use it for my acoustic guitars as well.

Great sound. I also own the Zoom A2, but Fishman sounds much better.

I used to own the Fishman, but for the price difference and what the A2 could do, I thought the A2 was more than dandy for the 4-5 songs in a night that I did. Maybe if I were performing more acoustic songs then I would have stuck with the fishman, but then again if I were performing more than 4-5 acoustic songs I'd just whip out an genuine acoustic too.

:wacko:

I use the Fishman Aura 16 with a Martin Preset and a Taylor Preset. The Aura 16 is perfekt to enhance the sound, not only for the Variax acoustics (I still use the old Variax 500). I also use it for my acoustic guitars as well.

Great sound. I also own the Zoom A2, but Fishman sounds much better.

You guys are right, Variax Acoustics sound better thru a PA than a guitar amp. For small clubs I use a Fishman Loudbox Artist, it has very transparent guitar tone which, sounds good with my Martin DC Aura. For songs with electric and acoustic guitars I use the JTV 69

Going thru Pod HD 500 to a DT 25 amp. But for acoustic parts, if required in those songs, I bypass the Pod and take the signal thru a TC Helicon Voice Play Gtr (which has great acoustic guitar processing), and an Aphex Aural Exciter acoustic guitar pedal, before the signal hits the Fishman Amp. This sounds quite good to my ears. I do have an outboard Fishman Aura. The only algorithm that sounded close to making the Variax Dreadnaught model sound realistic was the Collings D3. I took the Aura out of the signal path when I realized it made the guitar tone sound too 'thick'. I tried decreasing the amount of Aura processing compared to Variax, but then there was no purpose going thru the Aura at that point.

The Voice Play from TC really has good acoustic tone and programmability, and it sounds great on vocals of course. The Aural Exciter pedal puts back high frequency harmonics that are lost in the signal path, and this one also has a 'Big Bass' knob which allows you to increase the bass harmonics if needed. Adding the the Fishman Aura seemed to be too much. The Aura instead of the Aural Exciter, I liked, but Exciter without Aura sounded better to my ears.

I wanted to add, that I turn the Fishman amp's Efx off when going thru the TC Helicon unit, which gives the additional advantage of being able to tell that processor what key I am playing in, which helps when I sing with a program using the Autotune or for backup harmony vocals when I step on the foot pedal that triggers Harmony Voices.

• Upvote 1