Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suhr Badger 30 Sound

AlexiDime

Hello Line 6 Team,
I read somewhere that you have some Suhr stuff going on and maybe in the new firmware there should be coming some of those amps. Is this true?
I do own a Badger 30 and I absolutely love the amp. Is there a similar amp in the Helix right now? Or does anybody know a starting point for the Badger? 
I do own a Two Notes Torpedo Reload and I'll hook my Badger up in the Helix as soon as I've picked it up from my rehearsal space but right now I don't have the amp at hand.
Maybe there's someone out there that got the Badger tone and feel with the Helix already. I would really like to leave the amp at home when I play small gigs where space is limited.

Not sure it helps, but the Badger is EL34 based, with ax7s I believe, as are most Plexi style Marshalls and Orange Rockerverbs. The 34s give a bit of mid range push, and tame the highs a little, so playing around with these amps and eq'ing might get you close to the creamy overdrive sound. In the real amp world, I find the Orange head I have to be more naturally creamy. I don't have a Plexi, but have used them, and my memory of them is they are more naturally bright, but that was some time ago so I might be a bit off!

Hello Line 6 Team,

I read somewhere that you have some Suhr stuff going on and maybe in the new firmware there should be coming some of those amps. Is this true?

L6 is notorious for not telling anyone what time it is, let alone what is or isn't forthcoming in future firmware updates...they like surprises.

L6 is notorious for not telling anyone what time it is, let alone what is or isn't forthcoming in future firmware updates...they like surprises.

You're right, and so do we when they get here!  :D

Not sure it helps, but the Badger is EL34 based, with ax7s I believe, as are most Plexi style Marshalls and Orange Rockerverbs. The 34s give a bit of mid range push, and tame the highs a little, so playing around with these amps and eq'ing might get you close to the creamy overdrive sound. In the real amp world, I find the Orange head I have to be more naturally creamy. I don't have a Plexi, but have used them, and my memory of them is they are more naturally bright, but that was some time ago so I might be a bit off!

Thanks, I found the Brit 2204 to be the closest at the moment without eq-ing a lot or going into the more advanced options of sag, hum ripple , bias etc... 

Orange is good but there's something with the drive that makes it kinda flubby.

The Badger 30 is a very special kind of amp due to the extremely sensitive input it has. every nuance of playing and every tiny little movement of the volume and tone poti comes out of the speaker. I had tried a lot of amps and also owned some of them for a while like Bogner, Friedman, Supro, 65 amps and some vintage Fender and Marshall from the 60s but I got stuck with the Badger especially with the Kokoboost. 

I do use the Helix live primarily as FX Unit for the Badger because my Pedalboard was just to big and way to complicated to program and maintain ( Gigrig G2, Strymon Timline and Mobius and a lot of Stomp Boxes ). But my goal at the moment is to get a certain feel and sound, similar to the badger for home-use, recording and practicing so that I can leave my Head at the rehearsal room. 

Thanks, I found the Brit 2204 to be the closest at the moment without eq-ing a lot or going into the more advanced options of sag, hum ripple , bias etc... 

Orange is good but there's something with the drive that makes it kinda flubby.

The Badger 30 is a very special kind of amp due to the extremely sensitive input it has. every nuance of playing and every tiny little movement of the volume and tone poti comes out of the speaker. I had tried a lot of amps and also owned some of them for a while like Bogner, Friedman, Supro, 65 amps and some vintage Fender and Marshall from the 60s but I got stuck with the Badger especially with the Kokoboost. 

I do use the Helix live primarily as FX Unit for the Badger because my Pedalboard was just to big and way to complicated to program and maintain ( Gigrig G2, Strymon Timline and Mobius and a lot of Stomp Boxes ). But my goal at the moment is to get a certain feel and sound, similar to the badger for home-use, recording and practicing so that I can leave my Head at the rehearsal room. 

I know what you mean about the Orange - even on my real one I have virtually no Bass to tame the flub.  On the Helix I use a cut on the cab at about 100Hz, which seems to sort it, but you could also knock back the sag a little if you need it tighter...

I find a lot of overdriven amps and stomps sound better if I pull low end out before the stages where distortion is happening, and maybe add some back in after. Helps avoid moof-ishness, which I'm not a fan of.

That often means an EQ near the start of the chain, and one or more later -- post-cab, between the amp and cab, or less often, post OD but before the amp. Snapshots let you put EQs in each of those locations, but turn them on and off and adjust their settings separately for each snap.

• Upvote 2