Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

patch failed helix not booting...

Kedhrin

heya

i just updated to the latest firmware, followed the steps exactly but when the line 6 updater said the patching was complete i noticed my helix said that the patch process failed and to try again for some reason.

when i booted up my helix i get this on the screen... 

i thought it might be the reset presets thing mentioned but i held the 2 buttons down with powering on for 5 minutes and nothing ever happened...

help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

note: ive tried repatching and even tried going to a previous firmware and it still does the same thing

Hi,

Yes, this exact thing just happend to me, 15 minutes after I unpacked my brand new Helix and ran the 2.01 firmware update. :-(

I also tried going back to earlier firmware versions without any luck.

Please, if you find a way to resolve this, please post here, and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Tim

Might or might not help you, but the 2.0 update (not 2.0.1) bricked my Helix until I tried a different USB port, then it went without a hitch, and 2.0.1 went fine using that same one. I know I'm not the only person who's had that happen.

Best of luck in any case.

thanks for the tips guys but still no dice :(

when the line 6 updater starts to 'install firmware' (any #) the screen just goes black on the helix and nothing happens... i know before it at least use to say it was updating the firmware...

anymore advice? anyone from line 6??

thanks for the tips guys but still no dice :(

when the line 6 updater starts to 'install firmware' (any #) the screen just goes black on the helix and nothing happens... i know before it at least use to say it was updating the firmware...

anymore advice? anyone from line 6??

You may have done this already but these are the first things I would try.These instructions assume you have backed up your presets and IRs as some of the global reset options will delete presets and IRs. Good luck with this.

1. If you have an alternate computer to the one that has been failing, skip step #2 and try the following procedure there.
  2. If you are using the computer the update failed on first use the Line6 uninstaller and uninstall all Line6 software.
  3. Make sure you have the minimum amount of stuff running on your PC. No apps, firewall and anti-virus software can be problematic. 
  4. Download the latest version of the "Helix" app (2.01) run it and let it install the latest software. 
  5. Without your USB port plugged in try booting your Helix first with the FS 9&10 combination, if that doesn't work I would proceed to the "Safe Boot" mode FS 6&12 and see if you can get a normal screen. If not, you may want to try various other reset  combinations on the following page: http://helixhelp.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ResetOptions. If at any point you can get the Helix to boot normally, proceed to the firmware update. Even if you do not get a normal "Home" screen, after your reset attempts you may want to periodically check to see if the Updater can communicate with the Helix.
  6. Again, make sure you have the minimum amount of stuff running on your PC. No apps, firewall and anti-virus software can be problematic.
  7. Plug into a USB port preferably not a hub and preferably on the back of the PC if you are using one. However, some people have had a hub work better for them, if necessary, give that a try as well.
  8. If at any point you can get the Updater talking to the Helix run the Updater and update to the latest firmware version. Make sure to do the global FS 9&10 reset after the firmware upgrade.
  9. If you still can't get things working I would try the previous steps but roll back to an early version of the firmware first before attempting the latest upgrade.  Remember, when encountering firmware upgrade problems you should always uninstall the software and make sure you reinstall the version of the "Helix" application that matches the version of the firmware you are trying to roll back to (or the latest version of the "Helix" app if you are upgrading to the current version).
  10. Good luck and have patience, most people have had success "unbricking" their own Helix by trying enough combinations of computer hardware, "Helix" app reinstalls (match it to the firmware!), and global reset options.

I was having this issue and what solved it for me was switching to using a rear usb on my pc.   I was able to use my (weaker) front usb for helix-related stuff previously but this update wasn't working til I (dug up the extension I used to use for my previous POD) and switched.  That or some voodoo combo of redoing this stuff over and over.

• Upvote 1

hey everyone 

i resolved my issue, i believe it was like mentioned - issues with USB ports - however, for me *i believe* what fixed it was unplugging all other USB devices, including my mouse. I then installed the first firmware, then updated to the latest without any issue.

sounds like the helix has conflict issues with ports. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

hey everyone 

i resolved my issue, i believe it was like mentioned - issues with USB ports - however, for me *i believe* what fixed it was unplugging all other USB devices, including my mouse. I then installed the first firmware, then updated to the latest without any issue.

sounds like the helix has conflict issues with ports. 

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem . When you have unplugged the USB Devices , you have tried manual update ? and the screen was not blank anymore ?

Do you have to begin with 1.x firmware before going to 2.01 ?

Thank you for your help , i can not use my Helix received yesterday :(

Philippe

i wasn't sure what people said when they would say 'manual update' i always just used the firmware updater. 

i did go down to 1.x firmware but it was still broken at that point, so i'm not sure if that helped throughout the whole process.... i really do think it was like a USB conflict or maybe a power issue with not enough power getting through the  usb... not sure... you may also want to try a different usb port if youre using usb 3.0 slots vs. usb 2.0 slots... 

• 1 month later...

Ok so this same exact problem (LCD screen issues and all) after properly following all instructions for the 2.01 update. CAN ANYONE FROM LINE 6 PROVIDE INSIGHT ON THIS ISSUE? I am very happy to hear that OP resolved their issue, but his 'fix' seems like aimless fiddling .

Another vote for a different USB port. 201 bricked me too, until I tried that. Apparently only one of the three ports on my laptop is reliable w Helix, though the others are fine for everything else. Odd but true, for me.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd share my own experience here as I've just recovered from a "Brick" situation on the Helix bought today! Fresh out of the box upgrading from FW version 1.04.3 to version 2.11.

I made the mistake of downloading the latest Helix Editor v2.11 and installed it fine on Windows 10. I didn't notice that the latest drivers were included in the install so when I ran the updater (which is included in the install) and my Helix didn't show up I assumed that I needed to install the drivers separately. So I went back to the downloads page and found the latest separate drivers file v1.84 and installed it. For some reason I plugged my Helix into a different USB port and it appeared in the updater - "great!" I thought and proceeded to update. The update got about 3/4 the way through then I got an error message on both the PC and the Helix telling me the update had failed. So I followed the instructions, power cycled the Helix and hit 'Continue' to try again. After powering up the Helix didn't boot back up fully, it just seemed to hang on an animation of a helix. I proceeded to try to update anyway. It didn't work and it didn't get very far through the process this time either. I try again and again swapping USB ports, unplugging all my USB devices. I had definitely bricked my new Helix! Not good at all!!!

As a last attempt I tried again using a different Windows laptop. This time though I noticed that the drivers were indeed installed with the latest editor and then I realised I must have previously overwritten them with the older version. As my laptop only had one USB port to plug into, I cycled the Helix power again, plugged it into the laptop and it showed up in the updated despite giving a very convincing and unresponsive impression of being very dead! I clicked the update button, selected the latest firmware version and waited with bated breath. It worked!!! Great joy my bricked Helix was now no longer dead and even better was upgraded!

The purpose of my story is to share my experience with you. To highlight that even when your Helix appears to be bricked the update process can unbrick it. And also a plea to Line 6 to remove the plethora of old versions of software and firmware that are quite confusing (or maybe put them in an archive rather than in the same place as the latest files). Also, if the latest version of the Helix editor contains the updater which can retrieve the latest firmware directly, why not just make it easy and simply state "download and run this file, it has everything you need to update your helix to the latest version of firmware and all of the compatible versions of the software and drivers too!"

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...