Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix is stuck in boot after a failed 2.01 firmware update

timster666

Hello all,

My 15 minutes old Helix Floor is stuck in boot after a failed 2.01 firmware update.

I ran the firmware update as per Line 6's instructions, but after the update ended, the Helix cannot boot, but is stuck with a spiral blinking in top of the Line 6 Logo and underneath a text saying both Helix and Helix Rack on top of each other, and some random icons on the Helix screen.

I have tried reinstalling the 2.01 and trying to go back to several earlier firmware versions with the latest Line 6 Updater, but after installation, the Helix does not restart, and nothing changes, still stuck in boot with that buggy screen.

I have tried doing a safe boot, but the screen just goes black and nothing happens. 

Please, has anybody experienced this and might know a way to fix this issue?

Thank you in advance,

Tim

Quoting myself in another similar thread:

Might or might not help you, but the 2.0 update (not 2.0.1) bricked my Helix until I tried a different USB port, then it went without a hitch, and 2.0.1 went fine using that same one. I know I'm not the only person who's had that happen.

Best of luck in any case.

try this, it solved the same problem. it's an old thread. ( thanks again inerzia)

reflash the unit with 2.0 and 1.12 several times and it did not work, then I tried 1.01.2 and it completed the flashing, but didn't want to boot, permanently stuck on the patch rebuilding stage, no matter what boot option I tried, until it did work. Tried again with the 5 + 6 option and, where it always got stuck, this time didn't.

it worked for me.

I posted some threads about the same thing. I tried everything suggested on these forums and eventually opened aground ticket with L6. They asked me to try many things I had already tried. It eventually got stuck with the same problem you describe. I sent it back to L6 two days ago by UPS. Hope yours works itself out but after two weeks of nightly tinkering I was never able to make it work. Makes me nervous about future updates even though my previous ones updated without difficulty.

I posted some threads about the same thing. I tried everything suggested on these forums and eventually opened aground ticket with L6. They asked me to try many things I had already tried. It eventually got stuck with the same problem you describe. I sent it back to L6 two days ago by UPS. Hope yours works itself out but after two weeks of nightly tinkering I was never able to make it work. Makes me nervous about future updates even though my previous ones updated without difficulty.

Pretty much the same experience I had. (Including success with previous updates)

http://line6.com/support/topic/21531-a-word-of-warning-about-helix-20-update/

It all worked out well in the end, but I'll be very hesitant to do the next firmware update. It just made me realize that I've come to rely on my Helix for all my gigs and really didn't want to go back to my old setup.

Yeah, it's hard to think of anything that'd be a real substitute for a Helix with all your personal stuff in it. There have been various discussions about that, but the bottom line is they'd all be very different, and there's nothing remotely comparable that's not also kind of a lot of money to spend on a backup rig, at least for me. Think I'm going with crossed fingers for now, but then again I'm not a gigging professional any more.

That said, most people seem to get through firmware updates ok most of the time. My biggest worry in this regard isn't really that, it's just the possibility of some random failure, at the worst possible time of course.